Old 04-16-2009, 11:48 PM   #1
saftshe
Casting On

increasing rows with seam rows
Please help, I can;t figure out how I should increase this pattern!
It;s for a baby sweater by Lainie Hering .It goes from 54 sts to 150 sts in 12 rows, that should make 8 inc sts on each inc row. Its where to add them that gets me!Thanks! It reads as follows

Neck edge
With larger needles and CC cast on 46 sts.
Drop CC join MC. Knit 2 rows.

Set-up-pat

Row 1(inc row):K9 for left front;yo k1 for seam st;yo,k3 for sleeve;yo k1 for seam st;yo k 18 for back;yo k1 for seam st ,k3 for sleeve;yo k1 for seam st;yo k9 for right front - 54 sts.

Row 2:K4 purl across to last 4 sts, k4.

Note: For buttonhole. On boys sweater, place buttonhole on left side by working k2,yo, k2tog work rem sts in established pattern.

Rep(Rows 1 and 2) 12 times and at the same time, on 2nd inc row (RS)make first buttonhole. Rep buttonhole (every 2 inches)twice - 3 Buttonholes.
Note:3rd buttonhole is worked after sts are dividedfor body.

Divide for body
Place sts for body on sts holders .
Place 22 sts from left,31 sts including 2 seams sts from left sleeve , 44 sts from back, 31 sts including 2 seams sts from right sleeve , 22 sts from right front.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
saftshe is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-17-2009, 01:15 AM   #2
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
You are suppose to repeat rows 1 and 2 12 times. Row 1, the set up row, tells you where all the increases are. You left one of them out though. The yarn overs make the increases. In row 1 you have 8 yarn overs those are your 8 increases (you only wrote 7 but I'm sure the pattern says 8).

What you are doing here is setting up the different sections of the sweater. The first 9 stitches are the left front of the sweater. Then you have a yarn over and a seam stitch and then another yarn over. That is the seam between the left front and the sleeve. Then you do 3 stitches that will be the sleeve and then another YO, seam stitch, and YO, for the seam between the sleeve and the back of the sweater. Then you knit 18 for the back. Then you YO, seam stitch, YO for the seam between the back and the other sleeve. K3 for the next sleeve and then do another YO, seam st, YO for the seam between the second sleeve and the right front. K9 for the right front.

It doesn't make it real clear but when you repeat rows 1 and 2 you will actually have one more stitch each time on each front and 2 more stitches in each sleeve section (one on each side), and 2 more in the back on each side where the back meets the sleeves. That adds up to 8 increases.

You keep building the sections by doing a yarn over on each increase row on each side of the seam stitches. You might like to place a marker right before each seam stitch. Then each time you come to the marker (on the increase rows) you will yarn over just before the seam stitch and just after it. The seam stitches will stay the same throughout. They will make a line of knit stitches and the yarn overs will make decorative holes on each side of the seam stitches.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
saftshe
Casting On

Thanks
Thanks alot, I'll give a shot and let you know how I make out.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thank you for the response and I'll be happy to hear of your progress. If you have more trouble someone will be around to help.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:19 AM   #5
saftshe
Casting On

So far I havent had any luck, have ripped it out too many times to count. Holes for seams not laying right I have take a break fom ths one ane am trying one with offset "holes" so maybe I can figure it out
Old 04-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

I have a pattern that has been a favorite of mine that is made just like this one (only different). It is a little confusing at first. After you get a few inches into it you can see what it is all about better. I actually started one a while back and laid it aside to do other projects. It is made of real fine yarn and takes a while to make.

The holes are not the seams, but are on each side of the 1 seam stitch at the junctions where each piece touches-front, sleeve, back, sleeve, front.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
girlmariner
Casting On

same pattern?
I see that I am not the only one that is having trouble with this pattern..the right side does not increase , the left side has one more each time....start out with 9 and each row the left side increases by one but the right side does not....help....
girlmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

If it doesn't increase evenly I'm pretty sure it should. There may be a mistake in the pattern if it was written correctly by the OP because there have to be 8 increases on each Row 1 (inc row) for it to add up to 150 after the 13 increase rows. There will be 13 increase rows, the original Row 1 (inc row) and then you do row 2 which is even and then you repeat rows 1 and 2 each 12 more times to get to the 150.

There is no way it could increase on one side and not on the other and make a sweater. The OP said for the increase row:

Quote:
Row 1(inc row):K9 for left front;yo k1 for seam st;yo,k3 for sleeve;yo k1 for seam st;yo k 18 for back;yo k1 for seam st ,k3 for sleeve;yo k1 for seam st;yo k9 for right front - 54 sts.
If it doesn't read this way it should: Row 1(inc row):K9 for left front;yo k1 for seam st; yo, k3 for sleeve; yo, k1 for seam st; yo, k 18 for back; yo, k1 for seam st; yo, k3 for sleeve; yo, k1 for seam st; yo, k9 for right front - 54 sts.

The way the OP wrote it there are only 7 yarn overs but there must be one before and after each seam stitch at each side of each sleeve for a total of 8 yarn overs per increase row. If you don't have 8 there will only be 53 stitches not 54 as are needed at the end of the first increase row and you will not have 150 after you repeat the increase row a total of 13 times. You would be 13 stitches short and the sweater would be all lopsided. You would only have 137. The way she wrote it left out an increase (yo) on the sleeve portion each time, so the sleeve portion would be 13 stitches short on that one side. Is that what you are talking about?

Read the other posts I gave. I'm pretty certain I'm right about the way this works.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:04 PM   #9
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

I am spot on with the count until I get to the last 9 stitches..there it ends by yo k4 for sleeve, yo k2 for seam yo k10 to end of row...there are only 9 stitches at that point!!! My count is correct until that second increase row...I have done it over and over but can't get past this point...
Thanks for you help, I read the other post and it did not help me...I don't want to give up on this pattern but I am afraid I might have to.
Thanks for your time.
Ann

I got your e-mail and would like to help you if I can. I don't have the whole pattern to look at and that would be helpful, or at least all of it up to the point you are having trouble. I understand from your comment at KH that you were making the very same pattern as the original poster on the thread called "Increasing rows with seam rows". The pattern as she wrote it out had a mistake in the number of yarn over increases given in the only increase row it gives. Then it just says to repeat that row 12 more times with an even row between (it has garter at each end but is all purl in the middle as given there). Is your pattern that very one?

You say in your message:
"I am spot on with the count until I get to the last 9 stitches..there it ends by yo k4 for sleeve, yo k2 for seam yo k10 to end of row...there are only 9 stitches at that point!!!" You have there that you "k2 for the seam", you only k1 for the seam each time no matter which row of increases you are on. If you did 'yo, k5 for the sleeve, yo, k1 for the seam, yo, k10' you would have 10. But did you knit 2 for the seam at each of the other seams? If so it should not have come out as well as it did.

You are knitting a front then yarning over and putting a seam stitch (knit it), and then doing another yarn over. Next you knit the first sleeve, yarn over, knit 1 seam st and yarn over again. Then you knit the back stitches, yarn over, knit 1 seam st, and yarn over again. Knit the second sleeve, yarn over and knit 1 seam st and yarn over again and then knit across the other front piece. So you have a knit seam stitch that is at each side of the two sleeves and before and after each of the seam stitches you have a yarn over. So you have 4 seam stitches and 8 yarn overs.

You begin with 46 stitches and you do 8 yarn overs on the first increase row--46+8=54 which is what it says you have at the end of that first increase row.

The first increase row looks like this (if formatting doesn't ruin it)

---------o-o---o-o------------------o-o---o-o---------
k9 okok3 oko k18 okok3 oko k9

K9, yo, k1, yo, k3, yo, k1, yo, k18, yo, k1, yo, k3, yo, k1, yo, k9

The second increase row will add one stitch in each front and each side of the back and 2 in each sleeve so it will look like this.
----------o-o-----o-o--------------------o-o-----o-o----------

K10, yo, k1, yo, k5, yo, k1, yo, k20, yo, k1, yo, k5, yo, k1, yo, k10.

The wrong side rows you keep the 4 on each edge in garter (so knit them) then purl all the stitches in the middle including the yarn overs.

The 3rd increase row would be: K11, yo, k1, yo, k7, yo, k1, yo, k22, yo, k1, yo, k7, yo, k1, yo, k11.

You keep adding 1 to each front, 2 to each sleeve and 2 to the back on each increase row for a total of 8 increases.

Last edited by MerigoldinWA : 09-25-2009 at 12:19 PM.
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MerigoldinWA For This Useful Post:
girlmariner (09-24-2009)