Old 09-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Fancy Feast problems
For those of you who feed this to your cats have you noticed lately the tiny white chunks in the food? We've been feeding our cats the Tender Beef Feast for at least 2 years now with nothing else and all of a sudden my boys won't touch it. We went through something similar last year where my dog wouldn't even lick the spoon! But it got better and now this. I've tried other flavors, lots of other flavors, and they'll eat 1 or 2 cans and that's it, and those too have the white chunks in them. My Max has lost weight from not eating! I'm scared to death. My husband felt the white specks and said it felt like bone. Sorry to gross you out, I'm not saying it is bone but there are by-products in there so it is possible. What else could it be?

I called Fancy Feast 2 weeks ago to complain and she said they haven't changed the formula since 2003. So what's with all the chunks? It's impossible to find a food, that's not expensive, that both cats like. I've been buying and returning cat food like a weirdo lately. Something has changed and I sure wish we could find out what the heck their doing to it.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-26-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
Wow, that doesn't sound good. My cat is allergic to FF so she can't eat it at all. I give her Purina Pro Plan wet food. FF is a Purina company, too. I think I'd try them on something else because you can't have them losing weight.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:26 PM   #3
newamy
Working the Gusset

That sounds scary. Do they not eat dry food? It's way better for the teeth. My kitties only get wet food for a treat and are content with 9 Lives if they get it.

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Wow, that doesn't sound good. My cat is allergic to FF so she can't eat it at all. I give her Purina Pro Plan wet food. FF is a Purina company, too. I think I'd try them on something else because you can't have them losing weight.
I know, that's why yesterday we returned the FF and got a few different brands of cat food. They scarfed it down this morning now they don't want to touch it. I'm getting really worried now. I don't know what else to try. I'll see about trying what you give your cat Jan and hope for the best.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by newamy View Post
That sounds scary. Do they not eat dry food? It's way better for the teeth. My kitties only get wet food for a treat and are content with 9 Lives if they get it.
Yes, they were on dry food their whole lives up until 2.5 yrs ago when one of them got diabetes. So after researching it online I found that the wet food is WAY better for them than the dry as they are carnivours. They aren't meant to eat all the carbs, they aren't built that way. So after a few months, low and behold, his diabetes went away! And they've been on the FF ever since.

And the claim about it the dry being better for their teeth isn't true either. I think the only thing that helps keep animals teeth clean is chewing on bones. (Which I don't recommend anyone give their cats bones to chew on, I'm referring to dogs.) Dry food isn't hard enough to get the crap off of their teeth. I'm only speaking from my experience with my 2 boys. I don't mean to offend anyone in anyway as we're all protective of our pets. But I can't go back to dry food seeing as the one is suseptible to diabetes.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I read an article in a vet column in my newspaper recently and she said that cats should really have both dry and wet.

I always fed my cats dry food, but now my elderly cat doesn't have a lot of teeth so there's no choice anymore really, plus she has all these allergies to foods or something in them. I think you really have to base your choices on your particular pet. Some of them can go forever on dry food w/o a problem, others not.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 09-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
Lucy78green
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Lucy78green Send a message via MSN to Lucy78green
We put my cat on dry food a few years ago as he was overweight and he didn't like it as much, and therefore wouldn't bite people until he got fed on demand. He has lost some weight but the downside appears to be that it makes him constipated
Old 09-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Lucy78green View Post
We put my cat on dry food a few years ago as he was overweight and he didn't like it as much, and therefore wouldn't bite people until he got fed on demand. He has lost some weight but the downside appears to be that it makes him constipated
He's probably not getting as much moisture and fat as he was on the wet food. There's probably something simple you can do to make it better for him.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 09-27-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
thecatsmother
Knitting the Flap

I use Fancy Feast but haven't noticed any problems with it but now I'll be checking more carefully.There are other grain free canned cat foods out there if you can find one that they like.
Cats should only be fed frain free wet food.I also went through the Diabetes with one of my guys,8 months of out of control blood sugars 3 different insulins...within 3 weeks of getting him off dry food his Diabetes was in remission.
Cats are true carnivores and they require protein to get all there nutrients and can't properly digest corn,wheat,rice or barley and that's what dry food is made of-mostly.
I know I do go on a bit about the food but after Melle's experience I did a lot of reading and I now try to encourage folk to get their cats off the dry
Old 09-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
lulubell
Knitting the Flap

Bluebell has half Hills Science Diet T/D and half same brand Furball formula mixed together. She does not have milk at all, and about once a fortnight she has a taste of tinned Fancy Feast Roast Chicken! She only has half a cup of food a day so it is a huge outlay but lasts for ever. She will not even taste anything else. (Oh, I lie. She will delicately lick one little tonguetip of tinned red salmon juice)

I hope you find a solution soon, it must be such a worry.
lulubell is offline   Reply With Quote