Old 09-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #11
cftwo
Working the Gusset

I have a cat with tooth problems (she has a 2nd extraction scheduled for later this week), and my vet just told me that it is NOT necessary that I feed her wet food. Dry is just fine.

Finding food that both my cats like has been a challenge. I use Nutro dry weight management for my older cat (the one with bad teeth). I use Science Diet Mature Hairball formula for my slightly younger cat. They both prefer the Science Diet stuff, but I keep trying to get the older cat to eat the weight management formula because she needs it.

They both LOVE fancy feast, but only if it's the kind which is sliced in gravy. They also really enjoy the newer (and more expensive) cans which have the "savory sauce" or "delicate sauce and garden greens". They prefer fish/chicken/turkey to beef - both of them turn their noses up at that. I have not noticed any quality control issues with the Fancy Feast cans - they get these as treats.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #12
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

This thread was meant to help me find out if anyone else is having problems with their cats eating FF. Nothing else.

The way I feed my cats is based on my research and my dealings with the diabetes. I wasn't saying you shouldn't feed your cats dry food, I just said canned is better for them. I don't want people to get all huffy about this, it's just been my experience having fed them dry food for 8 years and then switching them to the canned food made a huge difference for them. Eddie was no longer diabetic and he lost weight which he desperately needed to do. No I didn't over feed them, he just found his way to Max's bowl as Max is a finicky eater. So before I could come back and pick up Max's bowl Eddie would get to it first. And Eddie inhales his food, he never chewed the dry food, he just swallowed it whole. Our lives revolve around "did you pick up Max's bowl"? It's insane. But it is what it is.

I'm worried for my Max. I have an appt at 2:30 today for the vet to see him just to rule out any other possibility. If in the end I have to go back to dry food to get Max to eat then that's what we'll do, but until then I'm going to keep trying to find a canned food that they'll both eat.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #13
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,796 Times in 7,157 Posts
Originally Posted by bailsmom View Post
This thread was meant to help me find out if anyone else is having problems with their cats eating FF. Nothing else.
It doesn't matter what topic it is it always does this. Just have to expect it and read between the lines.

I hope your kitty is okay, I'll keep him in my thoughts and cross my fingers!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
bailsmom (09-29-2009)
Old 09-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #14
newamy
Working the Gusset

I think the teeth issues vary from cat to cat. I once had a cat with horrible tarter problems on the teeth, the other cat had no problems at all and they ate the same diet.

Now I have a cat I adopted as an adult who is overweight but his previous owners only fed him meow mix. He has minor teeth issues, and no way will he let me brush them. But my other younger cat still has no teeth issues and I've had her since being a kitten. I currently feed my cats Precise, they have never been recalled, the dry does have rice but no other grains, no "by products" and they meet human food standards.
http://www.precisepet.com/ The store I buy it from is a small locally owned pet store and they are very selective about the products they carry. I can't afford some of the other cat foods they have. LOL. The brands they carry are not typically seen at Petco.

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to newamy For This Useful Post:
bailsmom (09-29-2009)
Old 09-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #15
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

My boy has lost 1.5 pounds in one month. They took some blood and the vet just called to tell me that nothing looks concerning that they could pinpoint an actual problem. We have to try and get his urine somehow (that should be fun) and then she threw out the big C word. But, "let's just try some pepcid and the petromalt for a few days and get the urine and then we'll go from there with possible x-rays."

Old 09-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #16
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,796 Times in 7,157 Posts
:(

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
bailsmom (09-29-2009)
Old 09-29-2009, 06:36 PM   #17
Lucy78green
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Lucy78green Send a message via MSN to Lucy78green
My aunt's cat went off it's food for ages, turned out she had a respiratory infection and couldn't smell her food, and therefore didn't recognise it as food. My aunt was told to try her on something smelly like sardines and to heat them first to make them smell more. It worked. Hopefully it's a simple thing for your cat.
My vet tried to get us to try and get a urine sample from our cat by putting only a little litter in his tray so that he would use it, and then pouring off what was left. We weren't successful, he's too fussy about the tray.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:46 PM   #18
Woodi
Turning the Heel

I have three cats and only one of them will eat those stringy bits in the FF. I tried mashing it up with a fork, and that goes ok with two of them.

I have decided to feed them mostly dry food, and fresh cooked meat once in awhile. One cat likes only chicken and beef, the other two like fish.

I always suspect what might be in cat food in cans. I mean: what else can they put in there? When you think about it, it could be most anything... remember Gilda Radner's bit on hot dogs and toenails?...."It's nadda toenail, but it looks like a toenail...."
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodi For This Useful Post:
bailsmom (09-30-2009)
Old 09-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #19
newamy
Working the Gusset

Poor kitty. It's hard to worry about a kitty.

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to newamy For This Useful Post:
bailsmom (09-30-2009)
Old 09-29-2009, 10:12 PM   #20
thecatsmother
Knitting the Flap

bailsmom...... there is a dry food that is mostly protein called EVO I can't remember who makes it but I was able to give Melle a small amount daily without his screwing up his blood sugars.

wait..... I think it might be made by Felidae....you could try it if he gets to finicky.
I hope all goes well for him....hugs to you and your lad
bailsmom (09-30-2009)