Old 09-29-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

Weaves and Leaves Jacket
Has anyone knitted this jacket from the September 2009 Creative Knitting magazine? There are only four projects listed on Ravelry and I've written to one person there for help, but this pattern is somewhat confusing. The picture in the magazine of the back piece of the cardigan shows the same cabling as on the shoulders of the two fronts, but there are no instructions for the cabling given in the pattern at all. I've finished the fronts and the lace panels on the back part and will be up to where I'll need to start the cabling soon, but I'm not real sure about how to go about this. I've written to the designer and to one person on Ravelry, but I thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas. BTW, the designer did reply to my first email, but this was on another error I found. I've written her again about the cables. Maybe she'll answer.
Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society. Benjamin Franklin

Sknitter56 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-30-2009, 01:04 AM   #2
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
This is really a BUMMER for you! I know you are 'reading' the pattern right, cuz another Rav knitter says the same thing...no directions for the 'woven' cables at the shoulders and down the back.

No charts either? Could the chart for 'the weaves' be located in the back pages of the magazine? I have a new magazine (Knit n' Style) and it plunks all charts in the back of the magazine. Just a little notation about where to find it, too.

I cannot imagine a magazine forgetting to include the cable chart, nor the designer failing to furnish a cable chart! Either scenario is unthinkable!

Additionally, the other Rav knitter says there were no directions for the neck shaping either! What a funky magazine! Who proofreads over there at Creative Knitting? Remind me to FORGET picking up a copy of that magazine, EVER.

Snowmutz posted a few notes about how to work the 'weaves', aka basketweaves! But you are really on your own for putting that into play!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:52 AM   #3
Mirl56
Instepping Out

That's amazing - I'd be writing to the magazine, too!

The designer, Lisa Gentry, is a member of ravelry, and there is a forum group dedicated to her designs. Perhaps you can get help there.
http://www.ravelry.com/groups/lisas-designs

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirl56 For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (09-30-2009)
Old 09-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

Thanks, Dolly and Marilyn, for your input.
I have made up my mind to not renew my subscription to this magazine. It seems like every pattern I've ever attempted has had one or more "issues" and it's very aggravating. I did write the designer on one other error in this pattern and actually got a response right away, but she has not responded yet to my question about the cables. It almost seems like a whole section of the directions was left out. There are no other directions/graphs for this part of the back. I'm thinking maybe I'll just wing it and see what happens. The two fronts turned out quite well, though. If I can just figure out the back I'll be OK.
Here's what I've done so far. Haven't blocked them yet, but I'm hoping to put in my order for those blocking thingys from Knit Picks this week.
Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society. Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Sknitter56 : 11-22-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

Forgot the specs...
The yarn is Ella Rae Classic 100% wool in a coral color. I don't know why I knit things with wool when we so seldom have days cold enough to wear it . But, I love the color and the yarn, so I'll just turn on the fan.