Old 10-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #11
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I also was uncertain which set to buy, but by doing a lot of reading of posts here and elsewhere decided that KP's would suit me best. I bought the Harmonys and haven't regretted it. I broke a couple of the size 4 tips by sitting on my knitting and ordered replacements plus extras of the 3 smallest size needles because those I use the most. I bought some extra cables because I also tend to have several projects going and this way I can screw the end caps on and use the tips on another cable and keep on going.
I haven't had to have anything replaced because of quality issues after almost 2 years and am glad I bought them.
gotta knit (10-24-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-24-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Well, I'm exceedingly lucky in that I can currently afford to just buy several sets, decide which ones I like the best overall, and then will sell the others as used. So far, I'm liking the KP nickels the best overall, but still haven't had a chance to try the Addi needles. They do all have their good and bad points, so it's all going to come down to your own preferences.

I'd definitely advise buying a "test" set of each kind of tips within the range of sizes you like the best, and buy different length cables. That way, you'll always have a range of circulars you can use, you'll be able to test which ones you like the best, and they'll be way useful to your needle collection.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to globaltraveler For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (10-26-2009)
Old 10-24-2009, 01:22 PM   #13
Vertigo1414
Knitting the Flap

i've been looking in to interchangables too, and i think i've settled on the KP needles for myself. for me it was down to Addi and KP and my final decision was based on a couple things. Addi doesn't have a size US5 but has a US10.75 (but you can order a 10.76 from KP), i have not seen a place to buy more needles or cables as needed from Addi, and KP has great customer service that I've heard will take care of problems and i'm not sure if Addi has that.
I'm not trying to bash Addi in any way, i'm just pointing out the things that mattered to me and infulanced MY decision.
Northeast Oddball Baby Blankets
Oddball Pet Snuggles

Vertigo's Knits-My blog
Vertigo1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vertigo1414 For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (10-26-2009)
Old 10-25-2009, 12:31 PM   #14
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
The only thing that really bugs me about sets...is most of them don't come with a 16" cable option....*sigh*....

I am starting to think a set of KP Options might be a good idea too!

I have Denises...and I use them a lot...the only thing that really bugs me about them, is that when you add a cable extender, you are forever having to push your stitches over it!

We will see...knitting equipment is always an investment...

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crycket For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (10-26-2009)
Old 10-25-2009, 12:48 PM   #15
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
Yeah, but you can get 16 in needles and they don't cost a whole lot. I bought 3 in the sizes I use most.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (10-26-2009)
Old 10-25-2009, 10:30 PM   #16
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

KnitPro in the rest of the globe outside the US does sell the shorter cable and shorter tips to make shorter sets. Hiya Hiya also does the shorter version, too, which is part of why all of their needle tips are so short.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

gotta knit (10-26-2009)
Old 10-25-2009, 10:45 PM   #17
bambi
Working the Gusset

I haven't tried the hiya hiya or Denise.

I love my KP Options and have never had a problem with them coming unscrewed or the join coming loose, although a few people have had that problem. KP is always wonderful for customer service so they will replace anything.

I got a set of Boye Needlemasters off EBay for about 1/2 retail but I hardly use them as the cables are SUPER stiff and they give me tendonitits. I am keeping them in case I ever decide to learn the 2 circ method of tube knitting.

Hope all our opinions help.

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Bambi-M

I'm Bambi-M on Ravelry
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bambi For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (10-26-2009)
Old 10-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #18
gotta knit
Knitting the Flap

Thank-you for all of your opinions and experiences. They have been extremely helpful.

The Denise were never a real consideration because of the quality of the cables & joins.
I was seriously starting to search for hiya hiya retailers within a reasonable drive (wanting to try hands on), but the short tips ended that.
The Options sound great, the only hesitation being the sporadic quality issues (even though CS is so helpful). It's encouraging to hear some of you haven't had any problems!
The Addi clicks are only a consideration thanks to birthday $. A US 5 tip can be ordered extra (or now appears to be part of the set) and the lack of a short cable doesn't bother me (I was doing modified ML before I even knew what it was).

I still struggle rationalizing the cost of the Addis (how can knitting needles be worth that price?), esp. since I've seen some ends separating from cables on new clicks online as well. So I decided against an afternoon drive to check out the Addi hype. I've ordered a 40" Options cable & 1 tip, replacing a bamboo circ I recently broke anyways. I hope to love it and will then order the whole set.
gotta knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:44 AM   #19
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

I wouldn't worry too much about the KP quality issues. I've never had any separation problems with mine (nickels), and I use them very heavily. (They do unscrew fairly regularly, but I'm told some orthodontal braces wax will stop that, so I'm looking forward to trying it.)

A lot will also depend on your tip preference. If you like sharp tips, def go for the KP, which are sharper than the Addi.

I have to say, when I first got the HH tips, I was shocked at how short they were, but I'm finding that I'm adjusting my knitting style to the shorter length fairly easily. Not everyone can do that, I know, but just thought it was worth mentioning, as they feel pretty comfy to knit with now and the shortness is an advantage in some ways.

gotta knit (10-26-2009)
Old 10-26-2009, 08:59 AM   #20
gotta knit
Knitting the Flap

Thanks Zina.
I forgot about the tip difference between the KP and Addis. I've seen comparison pictures online and think I'll like the KP tips better.

I have a 16" circ with a short tip that I've used for numerous things over the years. I tried it again the other day and could probably use them, but I don't want a full set of short tips so decided the HH were no longer a choice.
gotta knit is offline   Reply With Quote