Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #11111
cdjack
Turning the Heel

Hello everyone!

Hope you all had a nice and safe Halloween. Dh and I drove into town to eat at Pei-Wei and missed all the trick-or-treaters. My friends call me "BooHumBug" ...

I do have a pair of socks that I have been working on FOREVER. I have so many other projects going right now that I only work on them when I need a portable project. I' m almost done with the first sock.

That's exciting news Gina! Congratulations to your daughter! Oh, and good luck with the house. It must be a horrible feeling to be in limbo like that right now, especially with your house already packed up!

In knitting news, this weekend I did a test knit and felt of those Fiber Trends felted ballet slippers before I start making them for X-mas gifts. Glad that I did it. I wear a size 10 shoe so I make the biggest size for me. Well, three times through on the heavy agitation cycle and they are still HUGE (too wide and about two inches too long). Someone on Ravelry said that she wears a 10 1/2 shoe and she made the smallest adult size and they fit her. Of course, I read that after I had already knit up the pair... UGH!

Hope y'all have a great day and enjoyed your extra hour of sleep this morning.

Courtney
The Following User Says Thank You to cdjack For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (11-01-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #11112
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

I've been knitting slowly on a pair of socks but have only managed a few rows so far.

Sorry to hear about the house problems Gina, hope things work out.

I really need a new job, no hours again this week so I'm kinda annoyed. Its not a very good job and doesn't pay well but there is nothing else going at the moment. I've spent the week looking at jobs, visiting my cousins and relaxing. Its been nice but I could use the work with christmas coming.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:15 PM   #11113
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Hi socksters,
We're back! The weekend away was lovely. Not only was nice NOT to think about the house, but the weather was perfect and it was SO nice to see Emmelyn and her fiance!

Julie, they don't have a date set yet. They're waiting until he has a job offer. It WAS very romantic. Amit is a very creative young man and loves Emmelyn a lot. He went to a lot of work. It was fun to be a part of it and we had a good time getting to know his parents, too. It was fun to learn about the Indian culture. Thankfully, his parents did NOT have a traditional Indian wedding....The tradition is a SEVEN DAY CEREMONY!!!

Courtney, you're right. It is a horrible feeling to have done all this packing and then to have it all up in the air. We're still praying, though, and I have peace (right now) that what's meant to be will happen. On your slippers, you could TRY felting again for further shrinking. You could even add some boiling water to your washer. The hotter the water, the more the shrinkage.

Rache, hope you find a new job soon. What are you looking for?
Old 11-02-2009, 07:41 AM   #11114
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

I'm looking for teaching assistant posts at the moment. I took this job mainly because I didn't want to be on benefits longer than I needed to and it is part time. Had I known at the time that it was casual contract I might have thought twice about taking it. I've found a couple of teaching assistant posts to apply for this morning. I've also been told that I might hear from that other job I applied for a while back. They put me on a waiting list because they reorganised and the jobs disappeared. My aunt says that they are moving people around again and once they have promoted the people they want there will be more jobs open lower down again.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Old 11-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #11115
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Will do, Rache. Can you substitute teach to get your foot in the door? Or just for some extra cash?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #11116
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Hi, everyone! Gosh, I feel like I haven't posted in ages! I have been reading, though.

Gina, prayers for you and your house issues! CONGRATULATIONS to your daughter!

Rach, good luck with the job hunt!

Julie, how's school going?

Hope everyone else is doing well!

QOTD- I started socks in the middle of the month, got about 3" done (toe-up) and discovered they were WAY too wide, so I frogged and started over. I now have maybe 1" done... so I didn't finish any socks in socktober, but I did start some twice!

Life has been crazy around here- busy and nuts, but fun! OK, back to work...

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abbily For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (11-02-2009), rachejm (11-02-2009)
Old 11-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #11117
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

I'm not sure, Gina. I know the council do employ substitute teaching assistants but don't think they need any at the moment. The agency I contacted said I didn't have enough school experience. I'll just see how it goes. Something will come up eventually.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #11118
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Been really busy this morning. I've (since 9am-now 11:30) swept & mopped all the tile (majority of the house) and vacuumed the living room. Started some laundry. Cleaned up the kitchen, put last nights groceries away (we only did the cold stuff last nightb ecause it was late and everyone was tired) and I've started bread-it should be ready to work up in about an hour or so. O nevermind, they say let it refrigerate for a few hours first before baking because it's easier to work up. I'm now eating lunch then will take Bailey to school and then get Katie down for a nap, study & then go pick Bailey up and then Jacob about 20 min. later. Then start dinner after his homework is done, o what fun Mondays are.

Carey, school is going ok in lab, lecture will probably be another story, but it's not for my lack of studying. I wont have test results till Thursday, I'll let you all know then.

No knitting done in a long time, though I really need to make myself another pair of FT felted clogs, mine have holes in the outter sole & the inner is getting very thin. I just need to find the time to make them.

Gina still praying bout the house for you, it will all turn out as He sees fit.

Rachel, good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
rachejm (11-03-2009)
Old 11-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #11119
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by jberry16 View Post
QOTD: being that today is the last day of Socktober, has anyone here in the anysock kal actually knit any socks this month?

What are socks?

Old 11-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #11120
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by jberry16 View Post
I've started bread-it should be ready to work up in about an hour or so. O nevermind, they say let it refrigerate for a few hours first before baking because it's easier to work up.

I have always enjoyed bread where you put in 1/2 the called for amount of yeast. Let rise once, knead down and put into the refrigerator over night.

1/2 the yeast and the temperature of the refrigerator slows the second rise. In the morning the dough should have doubled in size and be ready for shaping into loaves/rolls/sticky buns. Let rise the last time and bake.

This gives me a chance to clean up and not have to shape loaves on a messy counter, and over night the yeast has imparted the most wonderful flavor into the bread.

Warn yeasty sticky buns, hot coffee and a good book, what a morning. No knitting until the sticky from the buns is gone. Wool covered sticky buns or sticky covered wool is not a good thing. guess how I know.

The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (11-02-2009)
Closed Thread