Old 12-18-2009, 07:38 PM   #31
blueygh2
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by meowmeowmeow View Post
I honestly immediately thought you were a guy when I first saw your avatar then thought you were a woman because of the signature XD I thought, "good thing I didn't call her a dude >_> that could have been awkward"

Anyways, I've been teaching my boyfriend how to knit.At first it was more of a joke, but now he's actually into it.He also has a whole new appreciation for not dropping stitches so he tends to hand me my knitting and move it from place to place with ridiculous attention to care for the live stitches.It's priceless, really. *single tear in eye* He now comes up to me asking to learn new techniques.

There is also a site specifically for male knitters: menwhoknit.com I think it's great that there are so many guy knitters there and I would join if it wasn't for our differences in genitalia.
That's funny.

I'm NOT a "miss", I'm a lady!
blueygh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-18-2009, 07:39 PM   #32
blueygh2
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Lighting57 View Post
Blueygh2, looking at your picture, I thought you were a male. That is until I read your tag,"I'm not a miss, I'm a lady."
Call me thickheaded, but I don't get it.

Welcome to this website though. I enjoy reading post by male members because they view the world differently at times than we women do and can add interesting if not better points of view on some topics.
It is mainly to startle people, that signature
I have often been called miss, as I said, for reasons unknown to me.
So why not consider myself rather a lady than a miss?

Old 12-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #33
blueygh2
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by AngelaR View Post
I don't think I could ever get my husband or brothers to knit. And there isn't enough beer in the world that would make them even try. I was on a site the other day that was just for guys who knit.

There there was this one.

And and entire retreat for Y chromosomes that love to knit and purl.

So they are out there.
Beer is a bad idea. I found out that beer + knitting is not compatible. I keep making silly mistakes, forgetting stitches, and all. Might be because I tried knitting lace then...

Crochet + beer works though...

Old 12-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #34
etoilechaude
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by blueygh2 View Post
Beer is a bad idea. I found out that beer + knitting is not compatible. I keep making silly mistakes, forgetting stitches, and all. Might be because I tried knitting lace then...

Crochet + beer works though...
It's funny you say that... we have a montly beer + knitting night that travels around to local breweries here. My first time going I took a lace project... bad bad bad idea!!! Tonight is our Decemeber night and I'm taking a really easy felted bag project :o)
I do have a lace capelet otn that's really easy (just stockinette with some yos and k2tog) but the thought of making a stupid silly mistake and possibly having to frog the Mal lace yarn is making me realize I shouldn't take it.

EvanP on Ravelry (Hey that's rhymes!)
etoilechaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #35
blueygh2
Turning the Heel

I think that lace and beer should be kept apart. Far apart.

The thought of having to unknit or rip entire rows, just because of beer,... not good.
Especially when the rows are in the 200+ stitches....

Crochet is more forgiving with ripping, it's easier to resume and easier to rip in general. And somehow errors occur less often.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:53 PM   #36
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
Oh no no. We've pretty much been informed that using proxy sites to circumvent the hospitals filter is grounds for termination.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:10 AM   #37
AZFreckles
Casting On

I wouldn't yet call them MEN knitters, but my boys are learning to knit. I just picked it up myself early December and within a few days my kids were asking to learn. In fact my oldest, who is 10, decided he would rather learn than watch the new "Night at the Museum". The whole situation blew my mind. It is a bit harder for me to help him since he is left handed, but he's getting the hang of it pretty quick. They did swear me to secrecy around their friends though. My other boy is 8. During the day they get grimy playing football, working on bikes, etc. but once they are in for the night, they adore curling up on the couch with me and making potholders
AZFreckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #38
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

I haven't been on the boards much (so busy with baby Erin). It's great to meet see several new guys here I hadn't met yet!

I haven't told this story in a while....

Once upon a time, the only knitting emoticon out there was this one . I found it in my emoticon searching, and promptly grabbed for our forum! But it was the only one, and I thought, "That won't do! We've gotta have one for the guys!"

So, with the help of a forum member, I created our knitting guy! I'm very proud of this. I love seeing it on other forums now, too.
I also made this one, for the less gender-defined knitter. And of course our frogging emoticon. (Now I'm just bragging. )

But I just like to share that, just so you guys know how much we love you here.

(whew, all these emoticons are making me dizzy! )

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amy For This Useful Post:
etoilechaude (12-20-2009), mommydearest (01-10-2010), thrower (01-09-2010)
Old 12-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #39
mejust
Casting On

hi all... glad to know there are also male knitters outhere.
I'm new and still learning to knit from my girl.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #40
rwd1105
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to rwd1105
I'm a guy knitter, but I only found this forum today.
rwd1105 is offline   Reply With Quote