Old 12-23-2009, 10:03 PM   #11
meowmeowmeow
Knitting the Flap

I do talk to some other family members, but with them its more of a friendship than a feeling that I have to talk to them because of biology.We text, hang out all the time(any free time), and watch movies with all my other friends; and we don't ever censor ourselves for each others' comfort. We are us regardless.We could debate and disagree and see some truth in the other side and even change our own opinions because of some new information.

I could never bring my friends to see my mom because she would ask what their races,religions and sexual orientations were before she'd approve of our friendship.Let's just say I changed my number 5 months ago and none of us cares that she didn't get the new one.
All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment..."

-Nietzsche
meowmeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meowmeowmeow For This Useful Post:
lelvsdgs (01-01-2010), newamy (12-25-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #12
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
My mother and I are more like friends. She lived 4 hours away from me for 18 years. Now she lives about 1 mile away.

When she lived 4 hours away, we communicated by e-mail every day. I have Vonage, so I called her whenever I wanted to talk, but I'm not much of a talk-on-the-phone person. We saw each other probably every few months.

Now that she lives just down the road from me, we still communicate a lot by e-mail. We'll shoot each other a quick message frequently through the day. We see each other probably twice a week, once being on Sunday at church and then we have lunch together.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #13
cdjack
Turning the Heel

My Mom lives about 50 minutes from me. That's 50 minutes if there's not one bit of Dallas traffic that I have to sit in. We usually see each other either once a week or once every two weeks. We meet for lunch half way. We talk or email a few times a week.

Courtney
cdjack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdjack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2009, 06:33 PM   #14
Woodi
Turning the Heel

My mother and I were never friends. I left home at 19, hoping to get as far away from my folks as possible. Still, they followed me around....forced themselves into my life after I had children. I tolerated their visits once or twice a year.

After my mom's first heart attack when she was 66, she phoned once a week, and I would try to comfort her. Then she had another, and heart surgery, and decided she wanted to move in with us. My husband said no, and fortunately my Dad didn't want to. We tried to find them accomodations closer to us than the 4 hour drive, but Dad didn't want to leave his home of 30 years, so they stayed there until Mom had a stroke, at age 78. My brother, husband and I had to clean out their house and sell it, and find them a nursing home to live in within an hour's drive from both of us.

Mom now cannot speak at all, and I enjoy her company much better this way. I see them once a week when they insist on coming here for lunch and supper.

Not everyone has a good relationship with their parents. You who do are fortunate, I guess.
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woodi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2009, 08:21 AM   #15
LizzieK8
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Woodi View Post
Mom now cannot speak at all, and I enjoy her company much better this way.

I know exactly what you mean! My mother has a very sharp critical tongue that even at age 57 cuts me to the bone every time. She would be so much easier to be around if she didn't speak.
lelvsdgs (01-01-2010)
Old 12-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #16
meowmeowmeow
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by LizzieK8 View Post

I know exactly what you mean! My mother has a very sharp critical tongue that even at age 57 cuts me to the bone every time. She would be so much easier to be around if she didn't speak.
My mother is ridiculously critical, rude and condescending. Because of this, she actually has no friends; not one/zip/nil/nada.See!It's not just me that can't stand her.There is a club. I'm sure not speaking would get her social life rolling on the right track.She could even be "a great listener" one day XD
All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment..."

-Nietzsche
meowmeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to meowmeowmeow For This Useful Post:
lelvsdgs (01-01-2010)
Old 12-27-2009, 10:31 PM   #17
offgridgirl
Knitting the Flap

I talk to my Mum once,maybe twice/month. She calls me back after I leave a message. She lives on the other side of the country so I haven't seen her since I visited two years ago. She has only visited me here once in 20 years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to offgridgirl For This Useful Post:
lelvsdgs (01-01-2010), newamy (12-29-2009)
Old 12-29-2009, 03:45 AM   #18
UruzPhoenix
1st Leg of the Journey

I talk to my Nana (grandma, she's the one that raised me, we do not speak of egg donor after she said the unforgiveable to me.. egg donor is dead to me and bio-sperm donor has never been in the picture) at least once a week. She lives about 7 hours away (as i drive) so I don't get to see her very often at all (as in i make the drive once every 2-3 years.. it's hard with dh's work schedule and the kids school/sports schedules... we're planning on a surprise visit to her next month)

OTN
more socks.... pics of past projects up at my blog.

my knitting blog
HeathenWytch on Ravelry
UruzPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UruzPhoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #19
Doublereeder2
Working the Gusset

I talk to my 89 yr old mother daily, sometimes twice a day. She lives 1500 miles away, so I only see her every few months - when I fly there. She is here right now for 3 weeks - yes, that is a very good thing. She is a wonderfully sweet and funny lady and I love her dearly.

Aw, gee - c'mon and see: www.knittinreed.blogspot.com
Doublereeder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doublereeder2 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2009, 12:58 PM   #20
margz3
Working the Gusset

As we are now living in the same house hold, I see and talk to my Mom everyday. However, prior to that we would talk on the phone about weekly and see each other a couple of times a month (we were about an hour and a half away). We are lucky to have always had a great relationship

OTN

socks (still!)
dishcloths
baby afghans
HAP items

margz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to margz3 For This Useful Post:
lelvsdgs (01-01-2010)