Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #11491
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by jess_hawk View Post
I wonder if I could get just that little piece replaced... but I'm guessing not.
If it is the end of the power cord this can be replaced. Most electronic parts stores (like RadioShack) will have the part. If it is the part inside the computer . The connection inside the computer is wired to the motherboard and in most cases replaceing the motherboard is easier than replacing this one part.
DSWMBO&OM killed one of her laptops this way. I now use in in place of my desktop that died after about 5 years. I have a rubber band around the plug and laptop to hold it in the correct position. Not pretty but it works.

The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
jess_hawk (01-12-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #11492
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
If it is the end of the power cord this can be replaced. Most electronic parts stores (like RadioShack) will have the part. If it is the part inside the computer .
YAY! The end of the cord is definitely bad. It's possible something inside is a little wonky, too, but replacing the end of the cord should help infinitely.
Rachejm - Good luck on your interview!!!!
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
cacunn (01-12-2010), rachejm (01-12-2010)
Old 01-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #11493
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,163 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Rachel good luck! how exciting, you can do the math!

I know Dustina has a Eee pc but does anyone else own a netbook? if so what do you have? I do NOT want a dell, anything else is open though. Talk to me people! (can't afford a mac)

first day of class went well, this teacher is approachable, has his own website and everything we'll need for the semester is already posted there (except quizes and exams) and he records all his lectures and puts them on itunes to download as a podcast! Should have taken him last term, maybe I would have done better than a b. O and he looks like Mr. Clean. lol
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
cacunn (01-12-2010), knit2btied (01-12-2010), rachejm (01-12-2010)
Old 01-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #11494
cacunn
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by jberry16 View Post
but does anyone else own a netbook? if so what do you have? I do NOT want a dell, anything else is open though. Talk to me people! (can't afford a mac)
Be careful with netbooks. Some only have enough memory and hard drive to be an internet terminal.

I had a Acer that work very nicely, until the motherboard died. Warranty covered the replacement. DSWMBO&OM has a Asus that is small ~ 10.5 screen that she likes and is easy to travel with.

jberry16 (01-12-2010)
Old 01-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #11495
CivicSista
1st Leg of the Journey

Just found out on Saturday that the restaurant I work at is closing on the 25th. I have been with Maggiano's for 6 years now. I just recently transfered from milwaukee to Minneapolis, and now this happens :( I'm pretty sad, and have been filling out applications but no one is hiring.

Anywho.... a little about me

I am 25 almost 26, and recently moved to MN from Milwaukee. Some of my hobbies besides knitting are racing cars. I race in SCCA wheel to wheel racing. I met my boyfriend thru racing and couldn't be happier with where I am now (besides losing my job).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CivicSista For This Useful Post:
cacunn (01-12-2010), jberry16 (01-12-2010), knit2btied (01-12-2010)
Old 01-12-2010, 04:04 PM   #11496
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,163 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
Be careful with netbooks. Some only have enough memory and hard drive to be an internet terminal.

I had a Acer that work very nicely, until the motherboard died. Warranty covered the replacement. DSWMBO&OM has a Asus that is small ~ 10.5 screen that she likes and is easy to travel with.
I was looking at the Asus Eee PC and like those, but I'm not very good at knowing how much memory is needed. Also if I got one of those Asus do you think I'd be able to access my itunes on it? Because for this class he records the lectures onto itunes podcast and it'd be nice to be able to keep all my school stuff together.
The Following User Says Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
cacunn (01-12-2010)
Old 01-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #11497
cacunn
Instepping Out

I was looking at the Asus Eee PC and like those, but I'm not very good at knowing how much memory is needed. Also if I got one of those Asus do you think I'd be able to access my itunes on it? Because for this class he records the lectures onto itunes podcast and it'd be nice to be able to keep all my school stuff together.

You should be able to access Itunes even on a netbook. I would set the minimum memory at 2gigs. But the first thing to do is write down all the application you are now running and prioritize them. What is the highest recommended memory in your top ten applications? What is the highest recommended memory of all listed application?

This should be a guide.

jberry16 (01-12-2010)
Old 01-12-2010, 04:59 PM   #11498
knittingymnast
Working the Gusset

My friend has a NetBook . When she first got it , it didn't have the regular applications like Microsoft Word and Internet Explorer .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knittingymnast For This Useful Post:
cacunn (01-12-2010), jberry16 (01-12-2010)
Old 01-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #11499
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Rachel good luck! how exciting, you can do the math!

I know Dustina has a Eee pc but does anyone else own a netbook? if so what do you have? I do NOT want a dell, anything else is open though. Talk to me people! (can't afford a mac)
I've never used a netbook... I had an HP laptop that I was really pleased with. It lasted 3 years and finally I used up all its memory with all those photos I took in Australia. Now I have a Gateway that I don't like as well in a few minor ways (the locations of the power cord, headphone and microphone jacks were poorly chosen, IMO) but I think the newer HPs are similarly designed. The big advantage of my computers has been battery life. I'm told that certain processors tend to drain batteries faster, both of mine have had intel processors. The old one still has about an hour and a half maximum battery life, this one has three hours depending on what I'm doing. My parents and my brother have Toshiba laptops, and when they were brand new they only had 45 minutes to an hour of battery life... after less than two years mom's battery was down to less than 10 minutes on a full charge, my brother's to 20. Just something to keep in mind, since if you ask me part of the advantage of a laptop is its mobility, but if you have a 10 minute charge, you aren't going to be using it away from a power cord much.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
cacunn (01-12-2010), jberry16 (01-13-2010), knit2btied (01-12-2010)
Old 01-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #11500
cacunn
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by jess_hawk View Post
I've never used a netbook... I had an HP laptop that I was really pleased with. It lasted 3 years and finally I used up all its memory with all those photos I took in Australia. ....
The term "memory" has two meanings when talking computers. 1) Processing memory - chip based and 2) hard drive storage. These are very different. If your hard drive storage (memory) is full but the system work well it is fairly cheap to buy a USB based hard drive.

In Jess' case where the storage is full of pictures, the pictures that are not being used frequently can be move to the USB Hard Drive. When needed the USB Hard Drive can be plugged in and the pictures are available. Cheaper than a new computer. (Note: thumb drives are forms of USB drives but the USB Hard Drive are a lot bigger is storage and about the size of a deck of card separated in half and placed side by side.

The other memory is where you system does it processing and is chipped based. Many and Laptops can be upgraded with more chip memory. As application get bigger and more powerful they require more chip based memory.

Depending on your system some times the system use part of the Hard Drive to act like chip based memory. Moving data, files from the hard drive to CDs or an external hard drive will speed up your system.

When you replace a PC or a Laptop keep the hard drive. These hard drives can be put into cases that will turn them into USB Hard Drives.

As for the battery life - check eBay you may be able to purchase a replacement battery at a reasonable price.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (01-13-2010), jess_hawk (01-12-2010)
Closed Thread