Old 01-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
kittenmittens
Casting On

just starting and having problems with the purl stitch
Hello all,
I am on my second day of knitting, including yesterday when I bought my needles and yarn. I would love some advise about why my purl stitches seem to switch back and forth from side to side of my projects. I seemed to get the knit stitch down quickly, but I cannot figure out why my purls aren't all on the same side and are instead on the front and back of the project. Am I not holding the knit work correctly - so that I am flipping from front to back when I begin stitching the next row? I would really love some advise on this.
Also I just completed my first cast off. What should I do with the string at the end? Tie it?
kittenmittens is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
If you're purling all the sts on every row, you get garter stitch, same as when you knit all sts every row. Try knitting a row, then purling a row and alternate.

When you finish binding off, cut the yarn leaving a tail, then either pull out the last loop or thread the tail through the loop. Either one will fasten the yarn securely.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
kittenmittens (01-13-2010)
Old 01-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
kittenmittens
Casting On

So, if I knit a row and purl a row then it will have all the raised stitching on one side and flat on the other like all the pictures show?
Old 01-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Yep. That's called stockinette. On the Tips page there's a few video demos for Basic Stitches.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
kittenmittens
Casting On

Thank you very much for your help. I have been wondering what I could possibly be doing wrong all day.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

It's something that freaks out new knitters - they knit a whole row then wonder why they get purl stitches. The back of a knit is a purl, the back of a purl is a knit. They're the same stitch, just done differently according to which side is facing you.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:12 PM   #7
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

It's the reason why I was so glad that the friend who taught me to knit started me out on an alternating square pattern blanket. Knitting ten, purling ten, rinse repeat for 100 stitches and then turn it around and purl where you knit, knit where your purled... it all snapped in to place very quickly for me.

Pretty soon you'll look at a sweater someone has on and think to yourself, "How clever for them to have purled right there, it is such an interesting texture!"
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
Sara30
Casting On

Seems to me about a week ago i asked the same question, and I was sure i was messing it all up, so glad i found this web site!
Sara30 is offline   Reply With Quote