Old 01-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
sharay
Ribbing the Cuff

skip 1 ?
looking at a new mitten pattern, and after I cast on (using dps), and join together, the first row instructs me to:

Row 1: purl 1, skip 1 for one round.
Row 2: skip 1, purl 1 for one round.
Row 3: purl 1, slip 1 for one round.

Is a skip 1 the same as a slip 1?

Thanks to anyone who can help me...

Last edited by sharay : 01-15-2010 at 10:05 PM. Reason: a smily face appeared in place of my 'p's
sharay is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-16-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by sharay View Post
looking at a new mitten pattern, and after I cast on (using dps), and join together, the first row instructs me to:

Row 1: purl 1, skip 1 for one round.
Row 2: skip 1, purl 1 for one round.
Row 3: purl 1, slip 1 for one round.

Is a skip 1 the same as a slip 1?

Thanks to anyone who can help me...
Do you have a picture of the mittens or a link to the pattern? It might help to see what the mittens look like.

As far as I know, a "skip" and a "slip" are 2 different things. If I'm not mistaken a "skip" works out to a decrease. You purl a stitch and instead of putting your right hand needle into the very next stitch on the left hand needle, you go over that and into the stitch after that one.

A "slip" is when you pass the stitch from the left hand needle onto the right hand needle (as if you were going to purl it) without working it and then you purl the next stitch.

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
sharay
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by zkimom View Post
Do you have a picture of the mittens or a link to the pattern? It might help to see what the mittens look like.

As far as I know, a "skip" and a "slip" are 2 different things. If I'm not mistaken a "skip" works out to a decrease. You purl a stitch and instead of putting your right hand needle into the very next stitch on the left hand needle, you go over that and into the stitch after that one.

A "slip" is when you pass the stitch from the left hand needle onto the right hand needle (as if you were going to purl it) without working it and then you purl the next stitch.
Thank you for your reply... I just purchased the pattern of Icelandic Mittens off of ETSY, from finnishweaver, so I don't have a photo that I could share. Hmmm, if I think I understand -- so I purl 1, go over the next stc (which would have been a K1), purl, go over next etc.

? still remains -- won't I wind up dropping the stitch that I've skipped over? I'll play around with it, and maybe wind up answering the question... Thank you again!
Old 01-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
Debbie
Working the Gusset

I would email finnishweaver, it would be an easy "typo" to make. Is there a stitch guide with the pattern ?

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Now that I think about it, whenever I've seen a skip 1 in a pattern, something else was done to the skipped stitch before moving on. Sometimes it's slipped over the next stitch or you go back and work it after you work the next stitch, but it's never left unworked.

I would think there should be a stitch definition to clarify or that it's a typo. But somehow a round of p1 slip1 followed by a round of slip 1 p1 doesn't make sense to me either. I'd have to see what the mittens look like.

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
sharay
Ribbing the Cuff

I'll have to get in touch with finnishweaver... Thank you for helping
Old 01-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
sharay
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by zkimom View Post
Now that I think about it, whenever I've seen a skip 1 in a pattern, something else was done to the skipped stitch before moving on. Sometimes it's slipped over the next stitch or you go back and work it after you work the next stitch, but it's never left unworked.

I would think there should be a stitch definition to clarify or that it's a typo. But somehow a round of p1 slip1 followed by a round of slip 1 p1 doesn't make sense to me either. I'd have to see what the mittens look like.
If I can't find the skip 1 stitch definition anywhere, I'll get in touch with the pattern's designer... Thanks so much for helping...
Old 01-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
sharay
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
I would email finnishweaver, it would be an easy "typo" to make. Is there a stitch guide with the pattern ?
I agree, I'll try to find a stitch definition, and if I can't find one, will contact finnishweaver. Thanks again...
Old 01-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
Nanaof6
Turning the Heel

I looked in the glossary of common abbreviations and it includes some of videos on this site. It does show Skip (sk)it shows it as slip1, knit 2 tog, pass slipped stitch over. (a double decrease)
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-glossary

Hope this helps

IX XI
Keep Christ In Christmas

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14548372@N02
Nanaof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nanaof6 For This Useful Post:
sharay (01-16-2010)
Old 01-16-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
. It does show Skip (sk)it shows it as slip1, knit 2 tog, pass slipped stitch over. (a double decrease)
Where do you see that? It shows --
sk skip
sk2p slip1, knit 2 tog, pass slipped stitch over. (a double dec)
SKP aka skpo "Slip, Knit, Pass." Slip a stitch, knit the next stitch, pass the slipped stitch over the knit one. The same as: sl1, k1, psso

These are all separate terms.

As far as I know the only time you 'skip' a stitch is in a chart that shows 'no stitch' where you really skip the box and go on to the next box for the next stitch.

I'm inclined to think it's a typo as the k and l are next to each other. Slip sts are used in knitting a row as in k1, sl 1, repeat.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote