Old 02-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
JasminJaquine
Casting On

Knitting Olympics - Winter 2010
Good Morning!

I'm actually almost amazed that I haven't yet seen a thread for the Knitting Olympics this year! Well, maybe just cause I'm a bit excited as this is the first Olympics since I took up knitting again (and it sounds like a whole lot of fun).

The Yarn Harlot has posted up her rules once again with a sign up button as well so people can go on a list to see who else is participating and what they are making. You can see her post here.

Yes, I do realize there are the Ravelympics as well, but for those of us who wish to participate as a solo participant and not a team (though I am determined to watch the Bobsled Teams this year), the Yarn Harlot's version of the Knitting Olympics fits the bill.

Now, I'm not discounting anyone who is also doing the Ravelympics, seeing as how things can always overlap, but I thought it'd be cool to have a thread here for encouragement, progress, and just some good Olympic conversation to happen as the group here at KH are some of the most helpful people I've run across on the net.

So without further ado, for the Winter 2010 Knitting Olympics, I am going to tackle the ever-beautiful Hemlock Ring Blanket! I have selected some Black Cascade Eco+ yarn for this project and will be casting on either late Friday night (after the torch is lit) or Saturday morning/afternoon.

What will you be undertaking for the Knitting Olympics this year? Is anyone on a team through Ravelry?

Can't wait to hear what everyone else is doing!

Jasmin

P.S. - Has anyone actually done curling?
Faults: I Ramble....a lot!
OTN: Girl Friday Cardigan
Last FO's: Sunny Citron Shawl, Andrea's Shawl

Last edited by JasminJaquine : 02-11-2010 at 02:55 PM.
JasminJaquine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JasminJaquine For This Useful Post:
nicoleheather (02-12-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
meowmeowmeow
Knitting the Flap

Thanks for the link! I might actually consider doing that XD If not, maybe my best friend will try it.

And as for your post script, I have not done it; though my boyfriend feels the need to do a hilarious satirical impersonation every time he sees it on tv.
All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment..."

-Nietzsche
meowmeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
nicoleheather
1st Leg of the Journey

Wow, I'd never really heard of Knitting Olympics, but it sounds so cool and I just signed up! I'll be doing Andrea's Mitts, from Knitpicks. There are some techniques I'm new to in the pattern, and the time limit will inspire me to do them both together (which is important because I want them both to be exactly the same). The flame will be lit tonight, no? I don't have a TV, so I'll just cast on sometime after 6:00 this evening, like she said on her blog. I'm excited!

FOs-
Queen Silvia Shawl from Knitted Lace of Estonia
Something Red
Ingenue

WIPs-
Ivy Wrap Sweater
Celtic Pullover
Leyburn Socks

I'm nicoleheather on Ravelry, too!
nicoleheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
JasminJaquine
Casting On

I really do want to actually try Curling one of these days, but it'll have to wait till I'm up Nort' again.

Hurray for Andrea's Mitts! I have those in my queue to go with Andrea's Shawl for my DBF's Mom for Mother's Day. You'll have to give us a nice review of how you like knitting them!

Yep, tonight the flame is lit! It is lit at 6pm PST (which is 9pm EST per Ravelry), but tonight is the night! I'm very excited! The blanket will be a nice change from the lace shawl I've been working on.
Faults: I Ramble....a lot!
OTN: Girl Friday Cardigan
Last FO's: Sunny Citron Shawl, Andrea's Shawl
JasminJaquine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
nicoleheather
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by JasminJaquine View Post

Hurray for Andrea's Mitts! I have those in my queue to go with Andrea's Shawl for my DBF's Mom for Mother's Day. You'll have to give us a nice review of how you like knitting them!

Yep, tonight the flame is lit! It is lit at 6pm PST (which is 9pm EST per Ravelry), but tonight is the night! I'm very excited! The blanket will be a nice change from the lace shawl I've been working on.

Cool, I didn't know there was an Andrea's Shawl! I'll have to check that out.

Drat, I'll have to wait until 9:00 to cast on. Oh, well. I haven't finished my swatch yet, and I have other projects going if I do finish before 9.

FOs-
Queen Silvia Shawl from Knitted Lace of Estonia
Something Red
Ingenue

WIPs-
Ivy Wrap Sweater
Celtic Pullover
Leyburn Socks

I'm nicoleheather on Ravelry, too!
nicoleheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Since I cast on for socks last night (yeah, I started knitting at like 11pm) I thought I'd sign up too! yay for fun knitting insanity!
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

Missed this post, would have been fun to do and I may do it unofficially since I missed the official cast on time... have fun everyone!

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:59 PM   #8
meowmeowmeow
Knitting the Flap

I'm doing mine unofficially. Just didn't feel like singing up.I think the main point is challenging yourself to make the deadline anyways.My best friend is doing it unofficially as well We're just keeping our own private journals on the events. ***loves her typewriter***
All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment..."

-Nietzsche

Last edited by meowmeowmeow : 02-13-2010 at 10:00 PM. Reason: solecism
meowmeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #9
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

Going to try a shawl, something I haven't yet done. Now I just have to decide which one! Something simple to start with. I'm leaning toward Boneyard in a fine weight red ombre yarn.

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

OK so I have one ball of this yarn, and I've made three socks out of one ball before... but this one is going to make just one! So now I can't make a matching pair.
Grr.
So I'm going to make an unmatched pair... I have a single ball of another yarn I'd like to try on this pattern.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote