Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 01:17 AM   #11711
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
Emily an interesting web site for earthquakes is the USGS site. I keep an eye on it because it is there. Or maybe 7 years in Memphis, just down stream for New Madrid got me interested.
Cool site Chris! looks like this one was a 3.8. I've only ever felt one other earthquake in my life, and I was an infant. It rocked my cradle, and I did not wake up, but apparently it scared my mom.
melmac51 - honestly, I always recommend that people not be intimidated by patterns. There are really only a few things you do in any pattern. You knit, purl, slip stitch, increase, decrease, and yarn over, and for the most part, that's it. So if you see a pattern you like, don't think "that looks too hard" until you've tried it. I find patterns with lots of YOs (ie: lace) to be difficult to keep track of, but other than that, anything is possible!
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
cacunn (02-13-2010), knit2btied (02-15-2010), melmac51 (02-17-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #11712
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Chris, that site is cool! I agree about the doctor. You can rest assured that my regular doc who referred me to him will hear about his actions. Jerk.

I'm still in more pain than I expected. It was so bad last night, I couldn't lie down without sharp pains under my ribs so I slept in the recliner. I wish I could take a deep breath without pain, but I suppose that will come with time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
cacunn (02-13-2010), knit2btied (02-15-2010)
Old 02-13-2010, 07:30 PM   #11713
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by jess_hawk View Post
Hey! Has anyone checked out the new sock posted on Knitty?
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter09/PATTskew.php
Totally the most awesome looking sock ever. It's going to be perfect for the sock yarn I got in St. Louis.
These socks are crying out to be knit! Thanks for the link . I may have got my knitting mojo back.

Originally Posted by G J View Post
Rache, what are you crocheting? Fear of failure can be crippling. Get over that and decide if you want to do the writing or not and if it fits your current schedule. Line up some guest writers if you do, so you can give yourself a break.
Glad the op went well!

I am currently crocheting a hat, its from a magazine. I'll get picks when its finished. Trish doesn't want to get her first issue out until April so I have plenty of time to decide. I will talk to her about it properly, it was a pretty quick phone call. I might do it as a one off. My friends are a pretty creative bunch so between us we can cover scrapbooking, knitting, crochet, baking, photography, fashion. I could get the ball rolling for someone else to take up the section for the next issue.

Originally Posted by melmac51 View Post
Rache, Don't be afraid of crochet. I could help you with that!!! I've been crocheting for years & years.
Thanks for the offer! Next time I get stuck I will know who to ask. I'm loving the crochet at the moment, I think I picked it up quicker than knitting once I got going. Only problem is that it sucks up knitting time, if only there were enough hours in the day.

Congrats on the grandbaby, Christine!

Hi everyone!

Hope everything is going ok. No school or college this week, yay! Still have to go to work but its only one day and I've had so much time off lately I can't really complain.

Have a good weekend

xxx

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rachejm For This Useful Post:
cacunn (02-14-2010), knit2btied (02-15-2010), The.Knitter (02-13-2010)
Old 02-13-2010, 08:55 PM   #11714
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Gina for the sharp pains, I'm assuming it's gas since you had it done lapriscopically (sp), not sure if a heating pad or something like that or a hot shower/bath would help? It will probably just take time. Keep in mind that alot of times when they do stuff that way that they have to 'blow you up' with gas to be able to see stuff.

I studied as well as I could and try to sleep but I keep waking up thinking I hear someone puking, then my heart races and I can't get back to sleep, been awake since 2am today. Test was at 8 and out of 60 questions I know I got 6 wrong because I either drew a blank or couldn't fill in all parts of the answer. There were 60 fill in the blank questions and each was worth 2/3 of a point for a total of 40 pts. Why dont they just give us 50 questions and make them worth 2 pts each? that would be so much easier to figure out the grade

Happy early Valentine's day to you all, hope you have a good Sunday.
Brian will be working for at least 1/2 the day delivering flowers but we dont have things planned anyway; I could care less about celebrating that day. I did make the girls some cute tops, and will try to post pics tomorrow of them wearing them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
cacunn (02-14-2010), knit2btied (02-15-2010), melmac51 (02-17-2010), The.Knitter (02-13-2010)
Old 02-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #11715
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by rachejm View Post
These socks are crying out to be knit! Thanks for the link . I may have got my knitting mojo back.

I've mostly finished the foot on the first one. This yarn REALLY looks good with this pattern. Usually I'm hesitant to use variegated or self-striping yarns, but this one really works well with it. I like this pattern enough I may use it for another pair or two! I particularly appreciate the link for the cast on!

Anybody watch the speed skating qualifier just now? I absolutely love watching an American beat the crap out of the field, and I'm definitely a fan of Apolo Ohno. Except for track runners (who always look like their heads are going to explode), anyone who is really good at going really fast is tons of fun to watch.
...Well, I have more fun being the one GOING really fast skiing than watching downhill.
Go team USA!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
cacunn (02-14-2010), knit2btied (02-15-2010)
Old 02-13-2010, 11:09 PM   #11716
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Happy Valentine's Day to all my sweet knitting family. Guess what? On Valentine's Day I get to meet my newest grandchild. I am so looking forward to it. I can hardly wait! Pictures to come (perhaps on Monday).

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The.Knitter For This Useful Post:
cacunn (02-14-2010), jberry16 (02-14-2010), knit2btied (02-15-2010), melmac51 (02-17-2010)
Old 02-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #11717
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

I ran out of yarn. I didn't even finish one sock, AND the sock is too small (I like my socks to be a little small, so I knit them that way; I didn't realize that this pattern has an area of reduced stretchiness that means I need to knit it a little bigger than usual)
The 1 most-of-a-sock is lovely. and now I have to frog the whole dang thing.
cacunn (02-15-2010), knit2btied (02-15-2010)
Old 02-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #11718
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Hi Friends,
Rache, nice that you get the week off! Enjoy your knit/crochet time!

Julie, thanks for the advice. Heat packs have helped tremendously. My shoulders are much better today and I can breathe again. I've only taken one pain pill today. Hope you did better on your test than you thought.

Emily, total bummer on the sock! Were you even close to gauge? I watched some of the Olympics, but I have found it tenses me up, so I start to hurt too much! I get too into it! So no Olympics for me, until my body can take it!

Christine, how was meeting your new grandson? Congratulations!

I've been knitting today! First time since surgery, so that's good! I may actually finish my FLS this week!

DS came to visit yesterday. He brought me a box of 48 crayons and a coloring book.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
cacunn (02-15-2010), jberry16 (02-15-2010), jess_hawk (02-14-2010), knit2btied (02-15-2010), The.Knitter (02-16-2010)
Old 02-14-2010, 11:07 PM   #11719
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Happy Valentines Day my Socksters!!

Emily~So sorry you had to frog, those socks are so pretty!!

Gina~I'm glad you are feeling a bit better and knitting

Christine~That's A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!

Rachel- Can't wait to see the hat...enjoy your time off

Melanie- I might take you up on the crochet offer too..I tried many times but it just doesn't sink in...hoping they get to go back on Tuesday but we have another storm suppose to hit tomorrow and tomorrow night ...so ready for spring!

CivicSista-Did you get some new sock needles?

Chris~Great site...

Julie~Fingers crossed bet you did great! (he is cute and I never use him 'cause not sure how your suppose to use him so thought I would just throw him in)

Hi everyone miss hearing from you all and hope you guys are doing good

I've been enjoying the Olympics...and I finished my first project for the Ravelmpics

Hope you guys have a great night of knitting!

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
cacunn (02-15-2010), jberry16 (02-15-2010), jess_hawk (02-14-2010), knit2btied (02-15-2010), melmac51 (02-17-2010), The.Knitter (02-16-2010)
Old 02-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #11720
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by G J View Post
Emily, total bummer on the sock! Were you even close to gauge? I watched some of the Olympics, but I have found it tenses me up, so I start to hurt too much! I get too into it! So no Olympics for me, until my body can take it!
I didn't check my guage because the pattern is 1 size fits all and the guage swatch would have taken as long to knit as just knitting a few inches and checking that the sock would go over my foot. It did just perfectly. I think when I re-knit it, I'll go up a needle size when I get to the tight section, I'm also knitting it a little bit longer so I have a little bit of extra room to get it over my heel.
It's really too bad you can't watch the Olympics. I know what you mean about getting too into it. There has actually been some interesting research on that, but I digress.
Excitement for the night: Canada got their gold medal, Men's moguls skiing; watching figure skating right now.
Bio 101 has exams this week so (yay!) no homework to check! I do need to enter the scores for last week's assignment, though. Taekwondo tomorrow night I hope, although my knee has been bothering me. Curse you, maternal genes.
cacunn (02-15-2010), knit2btied (02-15-2010)
Closed Thread