Old 02-27-2010, 12:46 AM   #1
Lovebug
Casting On

New to knitting, need help with purchasing needles and yarn
Hi there,

I am very new to knitting and quite frankly I am a beginner. One of the patients where I work knits and she inspired me to learn how to knit.

Now, my question is what size needles do I need to start knitting and also for a beginner and what kind of yarn do I need to start off. Also, what book(s) do you recommend to help me with patterns and learning how to knit? I'd like to start off learning how to knit scarves, and then work my way up to different things, like mittens, hats, etc.
Lovebug is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-27-2010, 01:07 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You might be able to find some books at your library, but this site has a lot of good videos which may be better than still pictures. It's a little easier to learn if you can watch someone do it. But there are beginner patterns in the books too so they're worth looking at, and they're free.

As for needles, a size 9 or 10 and a medium weight yarn (this may be called worsted or have a 4 on the label) in a light or multi color would be good to start with. That's a larger size needle than a lot of people use and will say to knit that type of yarn with, but it makes larger stitches which are easier to see and to get your needles into. And for a scarf or practice piece it doesn't matter anyway.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Lovebug (02-27-2010)
Old 02-27-2010, 01:12 AM   #3
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
I'd recommend starting off with some size 10 needles and some inexpensive worsted weight yarn just to learn the basics.

Above all else I would advise patience and cutting yourself a lot of slack. It takes time and practice.

**Edit** Please forgive my poor manners, I forgot to say welcome to KH!

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post:
Lovebug (02-27-2010)
Old 02-27-2010, 02:07 AM   #4
kahlan
Casting On

I am also fairly new to knitting and am mostly learning from books. there are several very good books out there but I highly recommend you go to the library or book store to look them over before buying them online. I love Amazon prices but some of the most popular books had glowing reviews yet were not great for beginners, or were nowhere near what was promised.
as mentioned these video clips are perfect for really seeing each technique but I have also googled exact questions and have been amazed by the generosity of talent that people have offered up. there are some really detailed knitting blogs out there.
kahlan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kahlan For This Useful Post:
Lovebug (02-27-2010)
Old 02-27-2010, 02:41 AM   #5
Lovebug
Casting On

I forgot to ask, is there any specific brand of needles and yard you recommend?! I know there are different brands and I don't know which to pick or which is the best. I saw these purple knitting needles, I really like.
Lovebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

People like different brands and types of material, there's metal, wood and plastic/acrylic needles.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

Wal-Mart has wonderful supplies for beginners, inexpensive yarn and needles. I also recommend a size 10 needle as it's large enough for you to see and notice what you are doing, and not too large for the yarn you should buy (worsted weight is a 4 and listed on the label) yet small enough to not make it feel like you're learning with the huge pencil you learn to write with in kindergarten.

Since you're a beginner, I also recommend going to your local library or seeking out used book stores for knitting books for beginners. Anything higher will assume you know more than you do and the shorthand knitters use will confuse and frustrate you.

Ask your patient questions, if you can. They would probably love to talk knitting with someone. It's rare (except for here) that we get to talk to other who share our love of the hobby.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #8
cindycactus
Turning the Heel

Welcome Lovebug. What they all said. I can only add practice, practice, parctice.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #9
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

I recommend Michael's...if you are reasonably close to one, for needles/deals on yarn etc. Pick up tip/needle guards, too. They fit over the pointy sides of needles to prevent your knitting from falling off/protect whatever bag you carry your knitting in.

So I should be knitting with size 10 needles?! Mine are 7 or something!
Old 02-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

For beginners to practice with and to make scarves, 10s are easier than 7s. If you knit loose then 7s are okay too. I rarely knit on sizes smaller than 9s, just because I don't care for dense knits.