Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 05:15 AM   #11871
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Gina: Love may be blind but your DD's brain still worked. I knew sooner or later she'd figure it all out. She needs your hugs more than ever now because it will hurt like hell when your son gives his girl her ring. I am happy for your son, and your DD will be eventually as well but it`s gonna take some time and maturity for her to get over that. How are you feeling?

Chris: It does sound good. The pool they use is called a Therapy Pool and is warmer than a normal pool. It is mostly seniors in the class but I don`t care so long as it helps. I am determined to use all the resources I can to get myself back to normal again.

Dustina: Isn't it amazing how they insist on messing with the kids heads as well as everyone's lives? I hope life gets back to "normal" soon for all of you. My DD is having a great deal of difficulty with the school because my grandson has ADHD, OCD and Tourettes. They just can`t be bothered trying to help him. He is a very smart child, but he can`t sit still for too long. He loves school but he finds it difficult to stay focused. They just don`t have the time to put into a child with his problems, but they won`t let him go where he can get the attention he needs.

Ann: Hi hon, how are things going with the new house?

Jess: Taekwondo is a wonderful idea for a single woman. My SIL learned and she was going to the same school as her husband (my brother). They had a friendly competition between the men and the ladies and she whooped his a$$! Congrats on your yellow belt. Now go out and whoop some a$$, it feels great when you win!!

I had an e-mail from Sue the other day in response to a message I left on her phone. She is doing well but has not been knitting lately. I miss her positive attitude and wish her well! I hope she drops in now and then.

I`ve spent all week fighting with insurance companies who love to play God with my rights and my money. You see I have to pay for the items needed for my recovery, and then if they deem it absolutely necessary then they will pay me back, provided every T is crossed and I is dotted. My official receipts, although they said official receipt on them, did not have my address on them so those were rejected. That included my walker. I had to go back to that store, with a letter I wrote myself on blank letterhead, and have the manager sign and date it for me and stamp it with his company stamp so it looked like their letterhead. Hopefully they will pay us back for that item now. The hydrotherapy has been rejected because the course is being run by a fitness instructor instead of a registered massage therapist. The difference is the course I chose cost $119, the course they wanted me to take is $150 per hour, and I have to pay in advance! I paid what I could afford, as I am sure they were counting on so that they could tell me I was rejected yet again. I want to be normal again really soon so I don`t have to put up with jackasses like these people anymore.

Speaking of normal, guess what? I drove the car again yesterday, for quite a while this time. My eye glasses were ready for pickup so DH drove me there and once I had my eyes on he said `you are driving now`. Off I went and I really enjoyed myself. I finally have some independence back. Today I am going to my DD`s house to visit the children, who are on spring break. I will take an overnight bag in case the hour long drive is harder on my system than I thought it would be. If I need to stay overnight, they are more than willing to have me visit for a sleep over. The difference with the new lenses in my glasses is incredible. They are Crizal, which are digitally enhanced. Crystal clear, wonderful!!! I CAN SEE AGAIN! It had been four years since I had an eye exam and my eyes had change a lot during that time. I figured since it has been so long since I got new glasses I could afford to spend a bit more on good quality lenses. The insurance company will give me back $300 of the $450 I spent on these lenses. My receipt HAS got my address on it and IS an official receipt. It is so much easier to knit when you can actually see the stitches!

Speaking of knitting, I am finished turning the heel and am half way through the gusset on sock number two. I thought I might be finished by the weekend, but there has been too much time spent on fighting with insurance companies and not enough on knitting this week. Also, I got the laundry done, all by myself, yesterday! I am slowly getting back most of the things the accident robbed me of, FINALLY!

Thanks to each and every one of you for your support and love during this most difficult time in my life! It means so much to me.

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The.Knitter For This Useful Post:
cacunn (03-19-2010), jberry16 (03-19-2010), jess_hawk (03-19-2010), knit2btied (03-19-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #11872
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by The.Knitter View Post
Jess: Taekwondo is a wonderful idea for a single woman. My SIL learned and she was going to the same school as her husband (my brother). They had a friendly competition between the men and the ladies and she whooped his a$$! Congrats on your yellow belt. Now go out and whoop some a$$, it feels great when you win!!

I`ve spent all week fighting with insurance companies who love to play God with my rights and my money.
I finally have some independence back.
First off, Insurance companies suck majorly. I'm lucky I'm healthy and young, because I've seen the run around insurance companies give people. ("What, you mean your congenital heart problem means you have a heart condition? Why didn't you tell us!? No more insurance for you, missy.")
It's good that you can drive again, though. I know its frustrating to be reliant on others for transportation.

Something to keep in mind when doing martial arts: it is a deadly game. In TKD we do no-contact sparring, and I'm glad because we have a lot of little kids in the class. They're small, unpredictable, and breakable. The adults never step towards an attack in progress unless they're blocking and stepping past the attack. Little kids, they'll run straight into your foot if you let them. Fencing is also good for self defense, I can use anything from an umbrella to just my fist (as if it were a really, really short blade), and of course, there's always the "ninth parry" - run away.

Originally Posted by G J View Post
Emily, are you back at school? We go back Monday.
We went back last Monday.
Glad to hear you like your son's girlfriend. Good luck/Congratulations to him!

Originally Posted by dustinac View Post
We only get Good Friday off now...they lost the rest of their break.
That's annoying. I mean, yeah, they need to get all of their education and it sucks to cut into summer vacation, but spring break gives kids a chance to regroup for the second half of the semester. I was a pretty focused, school-loving kid, and I think even I would have lost focus without spring break.

I'm trying to get registered for classes. The theory was I would have to get special clearance for advanced GIS since I'm a biologist, but I shouldn't have trouble with biostatistics. I got registered no trouble for GIS; I couldn't register for biostats. Grr.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
cacunn (03-19-2010), knit2btied (03-19-2010), The.Knitter (03-21-2010)
Old 03-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #11873
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
everyone, I know I've been mia for a while.
Dustina the kids have been on spring break here all week and have started 'sleeping in' (to 7-8 am) Jacob starts school at 9 am on Monday, Bailey at 12:20pm on Monday and I go back Tues. at 9am. only 6 more weeks left this term,

Christine glad to hear about the water areobics, insurance companies SUCK! end of story. Glad you can see your knitting, socks should be easier now huh?

Jess I was a yellow belt once, I think I was about 10. Didn't get much further than that, think green was next in my 'version.' Been super busy, haven't been knitting

Gina, congrats to DS! As for DD, if she hasn't seen or heard from her fiance in a month I'd say that's a good thing; as long as you've heard from her. Still praying

Forgot what I got on here to tell you all now, o well it's gone. Must not have been to important. o well
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
cacunn (03-20-2010), jess_hawk (03-19-2010), knit2btied (03-19-2010), The.Knitter (03-21-2010)
Old 03-19-2010, 11:16 PM   #11874
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
May I vent?
DD is driving me CRAZY!!!! She's been on spring break this week and sits around on her computer, watching the Disney channel and refusing to lift a finger to do anything to help unless I beg, and now, after I asked her to clean up the kitchen today, she's locked herself in her room and refuses to talk to me. I WANT HER OUT OF HERE!!! At this point, she can marry the jerk she's engaged to for all I care! I know I don't mean that, but I thought I raised her better than this. She used to be extremely helpful, and now she does NOTHING unless it interests her. I know it's not uncommon to have problems when a child moves back home after college, but I didn't expect it to last this long or to be this bad. I'm ready to tell her she can find somewhere else to eat since she refuses to do anything to help!

Christine, I know it will be weird when DS proposes to his GF for DD. We talked to him about it. He's pretty sensitive about those things and will probably wait until next fall to propose. We hope she's long broken up by then, but it will be hard if she is. If she's married him, well, she'll have other problems to deal with.
I feel for your DGS. Do they not have special education teachers that can help him or at least make modifications for him? His combination of difficulties is not uncommon. Many of the ADD meds have Tourettes as a side effect. So hard to deal with! Have they tried diet modification for him? Does he still have his tonsils? Does he snore? Sleep issues (caused by enlarged tonsils or snoring) can CAUSE ADD. (New study out recently. Looks promising!)
YAY for your new glasses and ability to drive! BOO on the insurance company! I get SO stressed dealing with them.

Emily, hope you get the courses you need!

Julie, good to hear from you! Hope you enjoyed spring break!

Dustina, hang in there! Hope the schedule eases up soon!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
cacunn (03-20-2010), jberry16 (03-22-2010), knit2btied (03-20-2010), The.Knitter (03-21-2010)
Old 03-20-2010, 12:12 AM   #11875
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by G J View Post
May I vent?
DD is driving me CRAZY!!!! She's been on spring break this week and sits around on her computer, watching the Disney channel and refusing to lift a finger to do anything to help unless I beg, and now, after I asked her to clean up the kitchen today, she's locked herself in her room and refuses to talk to me. I WANT HER OUT OF HERE!!! At this point, she can marry the jerk she's engaged to for all I care! I know I don't mean that, but I thought I raised her better than this. She used to be extremely helpful, and now she does NOTHING unless it interests her. I know it's not uncommon to have problems when a child moves back home after college, but I didn't expect it to last this long or to be this bad. I'm ready to tell her she can find somewhere else to eat since she refuses to do anything to help!
I hope things improve, but something I wonder - a lot of times when I'm home and not being helpful, its because I'm feeling overwhelmed or stressed by other aspects of my life. If I'm working 40 hours or more a week, and my friends all live out of town so I don't see them often enough, a lot of my time at home becomes allocated to simply unwinding. When I live on my own, I do this and nobody gets mad at me (And, by the way, everything gets done), but my mom doesn't believe in down time unless you're sleeping. So she comes in and asks me to do something that normally would be a minor thing - empty the dishwasher, maybe. Except I'm in a power-down mode, and suddenly the effort needed to do that seems absolutely herculean. Then, because I didn't jump up immediately and enthusiastically throw myself into the task, my dad comes and lectures me about how I'm being rude and inconsiderate and lazy and I never do anything around the house... and the problem escalates.

Sometimes, I'll admit, it is just laziness (hey, I'm reading. Who wants to put down a book mid-chapter and go do the laundry? Can I finish the chapter first? No? But, MOOOOM!), but I find myself in tears because mom asked me to dust the living room, there is probably a bigger issue.

I'm mentioning this because I'm wondering if she's feeling overwhelmed with the issues with her fiance.

For the record, I really wish I had a constructive means of stress relief, like cooking or cleaning, but if I don't have my book and computer by myself time, I go a little crazy, and my personal OCD tendency isn't productive either: I have to have all surfaces smooth, so I will take all of the labels off cans, bottles, and jars (including all of the glue); pick the lint off the couch (SO glad my furniture in my apartment is the kind that doesn't get lint!), chip the logos off of pens, and so on. I also shred things into teeny tiny little pieces.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
cacunn (03-20-2010), jberry16 (03-22-2010), knit2btied (03-20-2010), The.Knitter (03-21-2010)
Old 03-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #11876
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Gina- of course you can vent! I wonder though if she is upset with the person she thought she was going to marry...if maybe she isn't feeling a bit down? not interested in things? if she is still wondering about choices she could also be occupied with that and not sure what she should do or how to approach you on the subjects that are bothering her. Maybe she is feeling anger as well...I hope she opens up to you, I'm sure you did raise her to be a wonderful person...prolly more going on with her now.

Thanks everyone...it has been crazy here and we started 4H last night...and soccer will be starting soon too

Christine~aww that is so upsetting that they can't work with him...will add him to my prayers that someone will be able to help

Julie~The kids are ready for a break...Isaiah asked me last night when spring break was...I said remember we only have Good Friday? The groans soon followed from both of them

It is pretty here today we are hitting the fish ponds and the garage...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
cacunn (03-20-2010), knit2btied (03-20-2010), The.Knitter (03-21-2010)
Old 03-21-2010, 07:32 PM   #11877
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Woohoo!!!!! On Thursday my DH took me and bought me a beautiful pair of ladies cowboy boots when he purchased himself a really nice leather cowboy hat. He's always wanted one. I've always heard how comfy cowboy boots are and always wanted to try a pair on, but he went one step farther and bought the ones I liked the best. On Friday I drove all the way to my DD's house. Saturday I spent the day walking (with no limps, gimps or signs of injury) up and down her 14 step stairway. I did it and did it and did it until I got it right and can now go up the stairs with no limps at all but going down the stairs is a bit more of an issue than going up. Anyways, also in the evening my DH called me and asked me to go to the store in the town I was in and purchase a lottery ticket (which we won nothing on). I drove, in the dark, to the store and purchased ice cream and lottery tickets. I also got my DD some daffodils and put a small thank you note with them because she has helped me so much lately. On Sunday (today) I drove home but stopped on the way at a store where I had purchased a few things that needed returning. When I had returned the items, I had enough money to buy myself a brand new pair of Levi relaxed fit boot cut jeans and a few tops to wear on my anniversary trip. I am proud of all I accomplished this weekend. I am almost totally ready for our trip in three weeks.

All I need now for the trip is one plain white long sleeved crew neck t-shirt to go under a couple of tops I have that would keep me warm enough on our trip. I can't wait to go to Niagara Falls this year!!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The.Knitter For This Useful Post:
cacunn (03-21-2010), jberry16 (03-22-2010), jess_hawk (03-21-2010), knit2btied (03-21-2010)
Old 03-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #11878
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Gina we're here for you so vent away my lady! You raised her right, she knows that and is probably struggling with the fact that she knows how she was raised but sees how he was raised and is testing the waters at home to see how things would have been if she was an indian princess? maybe? She also is probably hoping you keep on her and maybe she'll feel comfortable enough to cry to you and break off the engagement. I think it's important to be there for her, and continue to ask her to help.
Tell yourself what I find myself saying daily, "children are a blessing from God."

Christine that's awesome!

Dustina it's going to be pretty here today too, but crappy weather on Wed, high Tues is 60, high Wed will be 47. ick.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
knit2btied (03-22-2010), The.Knitter (03-22-2010)
Old 03-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #11879
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
This was a busy fiber weekend. On Saturday DSWMBO&A and I joined members of the Tuesday S&B at Mannings. Mannings is a like fiber fest under roof. Weaving, spinning, yarn, needles and lots and lots of everything. Fortunately (?) DSWMBO&A and I didn't send anything, I just worked on my wish list. The never ending list that will never be acted upon.

On Sunday DSW... and I went to the Homespun Yarn Party at Savage Mill in Savage Maryland. There were about 30 local spinners, dyers and fiber suppliers setup for all to see, fondle and drool over. DSW... won a skein of yarn as one of the door prizes. I know it was my ticket that won but since she got to the skein first some how it became hers.

All in all a very relaxing weekend.

I hope you all relaxed some also.

And Christine when do you enter an Iron Man contest?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
knit2btied (03-22-2010), The.Knitter (03-22-2010)
Old 03-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #11880
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Hi Friends!
Thank you all for your input on my DD issues.
Jess, I try to ASK her to do things and not give immediate deadlines. She was more helpful yesterday. I think y'all are right...she's got a lot on her mind with her fiance. She got out her scrapbooking stuff on Friday and that made her a much happier girl.

Dustina, you'll be so glad when summer hits!

Christine, YAY on the new duds and new boots! I live in Texas and don't have a pair. Lucky you!

Julie, Our kids are definitely gifts from God. It was good to have DS here for the week. He lightens the mood!

Chris, I wish we had good fiber places around here. Nice than y'all (note the ambiguous you...could mean you, could be your DW...) won the yarn!

I went back to work full-time today. I wish I wasn't so tired at the end of the day. There's so much I want to do, but I'm just too tired! Spring break for us meant working on the yard. We got the flower beds put in the back yard and now have to plant the trees, shrubs and flowers. First, we have to pick out what to plant!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
cacunn (03-22-2010), jberry16 (03-22-2010), jess_hawk (03-22-2010), knit2btied (03-22-2010)
Closed Thread