Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 03:00 PM   #11901
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by jberry16 View Post
O and Jess I haven't done anything with the test socks, I feel like a failure but I dont think I can do them anytime soon. My earliest timeframe would mabe be this summer. I'm sorry. I told you I'd do it and I just cant. (I honestly dont know where my printed pattern is anyway)
Don't worry about it. I've finally gotten things organized enough in my apartment that I can set up my sewing machine, and everything is on hold until I get Teenie's quilt finished. With school and research (I'm having a really good time with my GIS project even though the processing takes FOREVER) my second sock isn't going to get done any time soon, either. *shrug* that's life.

Chris, I'll try to locate this professor tomorrow when I'm on campus, but tracking down professors outside of my department can be a pain in the butt. Most of them do respond quickly to emails, but last time I was registering for classes I had to jump through hoops to just find someone who could give me an override.
The problem with fitting just one more person into the class is that each student needs to have a computer, so if they are maxed out in the lab, nothing can be done unless they have enough students waitlisted that it becomes reasonable to open up a second section. That's how I got into the GIS class I'm taking right now, for instance. I hate registering for classes. It hasn't gone smoothly since middle school, when it was an autosort process and everyone took the same set of classes.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
cacunn (03-30-2010), jberry16 (03-30-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #11902
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
I would love to live across from a college campus after retiring and being able to drop in to classes. The administrative s**t that has developed has gotten ridiculous.

The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
jess_hawk (03-31-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #11903
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

Julie, good luck on the quiz. I hope things get better. I don't have any children but have spent enough time around them that I can imagine how difficult it must be with all of that on your plate.

Jess, I hope you manage to get a place in the class. I've never had problems like that studying over here (touch wood!). I know that dealing with admin stuff at Uni is frustrating though, I once had to queue for hours just to get a little card printed out to update my ID - they didn't even have to do a photo, just the card to say which year I was in! Good luck finding the Professor, if you don't find him I'd drop him another email just to make sure he knows about the issue, he might have forgotten to reply if he got distracted by something else.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rachejm For This Useful Post:
cacunn (03-30-2010), jberry16 (03-30-2010), jess_hawk (03-31-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 09:34 PM   #11904
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Hi friends,
Sound like a lot of us are having a rough time! I'm so sorry! Thanks for sharing your frustrations! That's what friends are for! (that and chocolate...)

Rache, you've got a lot going on! Glad you're getting more hours but bummer that you have to work on Easter.

Jess, where does the petrified-in-terror-at-being-within-reach thing come from? That may be a place to start in getting beyond it. Isn't it weird that families keep secrets that don't need to be kept? I don't get it. and the school?!? How inconsiderate could they be!?! Persistence pays! Keep on them and you'll get in if it's meant to be!

Julie, your rant is totally justified. You need to have a sit-down discussion with DH. I'm sure he's a terrific guy, but he needs to know that you NEED to study and that he's the 2nd half of the parent team. Tuition costs money and it's in the family's FINANCIAL best interest if you past the class. (Maybe that will motivate him?) Can you get your mom to watch the kids or maybe a SIL at the race? You NEED your study time! Remember when you study to connect the words (or even parts of them) to things you DO know. And BTW, you are NOT a failure! You're just overwhelmed. And YES, PMS can definitely occur 2 weeks before. Julie, call or email your professor. Let him/her know that you are working hard and ask for pointers/tips on specifically what to study. Let them know that you're a busy mom and you need to make the most of your study time. Perhaps even explain how and what you study and ask if you're doing something wrong. Hopefully, he/she will be very helpful.

Dustina, we miss you, but get that you're busy! Hope you have a good break for Easter! You need it.

Chris, you don't wanna be in no stinky men's union. It's yucky.

I had a tough day, too. Major headache, sore jaw, LONG day teaching, plus tutoring for two hours after school with a kid who didn't want to be here (at first) so I had to work really hard to motivate him. I'm TIRED and my neck is flared up. And did I mention that my inlaws are coming for a visit on Thursday? So while I get Friday and Monday off work, I will not have days "off." Oh well.

In Dutch, there's a word you say when times are tough: Sterkte. (pronounced stairk-tuh) It means "Strength". So Sterkte to all of us! We need it! (Lieke, did I spell it right?)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
cacunn (03-30-2010), jberry16 (03-31-2010), jess_hawk (03-31-2010), rachejm (03-31-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 10:06 PM   #11905
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Keep in mind that it was a very full moon last night so perhaps that is why some of us are so upset.

Did I tell you all that I totally quit smoking a week ago on Monday, so this is my 8th day totally without a cigarette? I am proud of it. Sometimes I am a touch on the grumpy side by I have been doing a bit of retail therapy and that seems to have helped a lot. I only have a serious craving now and then, the rest of the time I don't care much at all.

I went and looked at houses today. The landlord here sent me shopping to see if I could find something I liked. I told him near the beginning of the week that we wanted to move to Cambridge to be near my DD and my grandchildren, and asked if he would consider buying a house to rent to us. He shocked me by saying yes.

Anyways, I also went to the outlet mall today and bought some Corelle Pure White square dishes. We had put a bit of the income tax return money away so that we could get new dishes because what we had was one or two of many different kinds, including plastic dishes. We got new flatware the other day and I got the new place settings today. I was even able to get three big serving bowls and they were out of fruit nappies but she has ordered me in eight so that I have a totally complete set of dishes all of one kind now. We also got rid of all the rubber duckies in the bathroom and it now looks like an adult's bathroom finally. We got the items we needed for that with the income tax money as well, and paid off several credit cards and bills, so that we only have a few bills a month now which makes my life so much easier.

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The.Knitter For This Useful Post:
cacunn (03-31-2010), jberry16 (03-31-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 10:41 PM   #11906
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by G J View Post
Jess, where does the petrified-in-terror-at-being-within-reach thing come from? That may be a place to start in getting beyond it. Isn't it weird that families keep secrets that don't need to be kept? I don't get it. and the school?!? How inconsiderate could they be!?! Persistence pays! Keep on them and you'll get in if it's meant to be!
I have no idea why I have such trouble with guys. I'm perfectly fine with guy friends. I can understand why I had issues in high school, but overall I've gained confidence since then, so I kind of assumed that it would apply to dating, also, especially since logically, I know that romance is fun. Apparently that message hasn't reached been passed along from the logical reasoning area of my brain to the rest of me.
There's some bad blood between dad and his half-siblings. I don't know what happened, and in fact until recently I thought it was just a case of step-kids not feeling the need to keep in touch after their dad died. So everything about them and their relationships with Grandpa are pretty much taboo, and I can somewhat understand it - it makes dad mad to talk about.

As for the university, I'm crossing my fingers.

Christine - Congrats on quitting smoking!
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
cacunn (03-31-2010), The.Knitter (04-01-2010)
Old 03-31-2010, 10:06 AM   #11907
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
:w all::wal l:

365 days until I can get out of here.

The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
The.Knitter (04-01-2010)
Old 03-31-2010, 10:37 AM   #11908
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Thanks Gina

Christine congrats only 357 days left and you'll be free for a year! I'm so proud of you for quitting!

THanks Emily, I was feeling stressed about not keeping my 'word' to you for doing the socks.

So this morning I thought I'd get up early before the kids and study. I was up long enough to pee and heat a cup of water for 1 min in the microwave before Bailey woke up. So I sat her infront of the tv and gave her some cereal in a cup and a cup of chocolate milk and went to the table and studied. Granted I had to do the same for the other 2 as they woke up but I got to study for 1 hour this morning. Maybe I need to get up extra early tomorrow to study before class? Esp since I wont have any 'quiet' time the next 5 days for studying.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
cacunn (03-31-2010), jess_hawk (03-31-2010), The.Knitter (04-01-2010)
Old 03-31-2010, 02:16 PM   #11909
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

Julie, glad you got some studying in. The only thing I can suggest is to put the bits you really don't get on to cards and take them everywhere. That way you can whip a card out when you have a spare five minutes, like waiting in a queue or on a bus or while the kids watch TV.

Jess, I will keep my fingers crossed for you about Uni.

Christine, congrats on giving up smoking.

Work was horrid today. The general manager decided she needed to check up on us and went through some of the rooms. I was told in advance so spent extra time on the rooms she might look at just to make sure they were OK. I was in the room opposite when she came to look. She went in, moved some things, then left without a word, locking the door behind her. At the end of the day, which was much later on because spending the extra time in those rooms put me way behind, I found out that she had moved a load of stuff and I was supposed to go back to redo that room. I wouldn't have minded if she had told me straight away, while I was there! By the time I was told about it I had packed up and was ready to go home. I can't believe she just walked away without even mentioning it when I was right there!!! The department deputy manager had to tell me about it. I was annoyed, but according to my deputy manager I had done better than some of the others.

Oh well. Day off tomorrow, shopping!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rachejm For This Useful Post:
cacunn (03-31-2010), jberry16 (04-02-2010), jess_hawk (03-31-2010), The.Knitter (04-01-2010)
Old 03-31-2010, 04:29 PM   #11910
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Christine, I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!!! You can keep it up! Welcome to the wonderful world of non-smokers! You will feel better, eat with more flavor, and enjoy the smells of spring more! YAY!!! And you KNOW we're here to support you during the rough moments! And there's nothing wrong with a little retail therapy as long as you have money for the essentials and don't go into debt!

Emily, take it easy, take it slow, and treat guys like your friends. A good marriage is a lot more about the friendship than the romance after the first years anyway!

Chris, You can do it one day at a time. And who knows?!? Maybe next winter you'll have so many snow days that it will be like only 300 days!

Julie, I'm glad you got some study time in. If you could add that hour every day, you'll have a lot of studying done! And this little spare moments that Rache mentioned are SO valuable. I tell my students that when they use them, they're stealing time! So steal away!

I'm staying just a day ahead of my students in terms of lessons! I'm teaching them Microsoft Access right now. NOT my fave program, and while I'm somewhat familiar with the 03 version, I'm having to teach the 07 version and they're very different. Sigh. No tutoring today. He canceled. I'm not sad!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
cacunn (03-31-2010), jberry16 (04-02-2010), jess_hawk (03-31-2010), The.Knitter (04-01-2010)
Closed Thread