Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #11941
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Abbily View Post
Emily just reads up a storm. She just got tested again- she's reading at the 7th grade level! She's in 2nd grade...
That's excellent! Of course, in a couple of years she may have some trouble finding reading material that is both age-appropriate and of a high enough reading level... there were three of us in my elementary school who were way ahead in reading level... It comes with its very own special set of challenges, but the advantages of being a book lover far outweigh the occasional frustrations. I recommend Brian Jacques (the Redwall books), if she hasn't tried them already. I didn't discover them until about fourth grade, but if I had seen them in second, I probably would have devoured them anyway... and there's a lot more now than there were then. Redwall is chronologically about the middle of the series, but it's the best introduction to the world because it was written first.

Chris, good luck on your socks!

It's hot out today. Hope everyone is staying cool!
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #11942
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by Abbily View Post
Emily just reads up a storm. She just got tested again- she's reading at the 7th grade level! She's in 2nd grade...

Be careful reading is a hard habit to kick, once you she Jane and **** (the system edit out the shortened version of Richard) run, it is not long before Nancy Drew is in the house, then it just get hideous. Take this as a warning from someone who had a paperback book in his pocket as he walked his future bride down the aisle.

Tell her I am very impressed.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #11943
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Chris, I'll tell her, thanks!

Emily, yes, we already have that problem. There are plenty of books at her reading level, but not many that I'm comfortable with the subject matter. I'll check out the Redwall books, thanks for the recommendation. I had the same problem when I was in school...

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
The Following User Says Thank You to Abbily For This Useful Post:
cacunn (04-15-2010)
Old 04-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #11944
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

If you need more recommendations, let me know. I remember several books that I enjoyed when I was around that age, or that my brother did... For one thing, the Kipling version (non-Disneyfied) of the Jungle Book and The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle... as far as I remember there was nothing in either of them that I wouldn't let a fairly mature seven-year-old read. There were also Johnny Tremain and Rifles for Wattie, but both of those are war stories and I haven't read them in a while, I don't remember for sure how bad they are as far as violence. Unfortunately some of my favorite readings were short stories from my grandma's old school books (she was a teacher), and they got stuck in the attic when grandma found out what I was reading... I gather there was some age-inappropriate stuff in there somewhere, but if I read it, I didn't understand what I was reading.

I second what Chris said... reading is addictive. But, at least it's a useful addiction. (Says the girl with enough books to start her own library...)
The Following User Says Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
cacunn (04-15-2010)
Old 04-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #11945
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by jess_hawk View Post
If you need more recommendations, let me know. I remember several books that I enjoyed when I was around that age, or that my brother did... For one thing, the Kipling version (non-Disneyfied) of the Jungle Book and The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle... as far as I remember there was nothing in either of them that I wouldn't let a fairly mature seven-year-old read. There were also Johnny Tremain and Rifles for Wattie, but both of those are war stories and I haven't read them in a while, I don't remember for sure how bad they are as far as violence. Unfortunately some of my favorite readings were short stories from my grandma's old school books (she was a teacher), and they got stuck in the attic when grandma found out what I was reading... I gather there was some age-inappropriate stuff in there somewhere, but if I read it, I didn't understand what I was reading.

I second what Chris said... reading is addictive. But, at least it's a useful addiction. (Says the girl with enough books to start her own library...)
I used to tell my daughter that she could go anywhere in the world that she wanted to go, just by picking up a book! She went out with my mother one day to a garage sale and, seeing the box of books, headed straight for it. When the owner came over she told the owner "I am going travelling, you can go anywhere you want to just by picking up a book!" I think she learned her lesson well. She is 30 and always has a book at hand.

So, the landlord came to visit today, because YES we are having trouble with the new neighbours. He is going to talk to them, but there is nothing that can be done. The new tenant is a drinker. He shoots his mouth off and every third word is F*#@ when he is talking to you. He has now accused Boots of peeing on his ATV cover, which is on the ATV in the backyard. This is so funny as to be laughable because Boots squats to pee, always has. This man has stood and laughed at our "girlie dog" for squatting to pee several times. Let the landlord deal with his cursing and yelling, it is not our problem.

I went yesterday to Mary Maxim and purchased their new store brand bamboo sock yarn. It is soooooooo soft! I got two colours: Rain Forest (a mixture of white, soft, medium and darker green) and Lagoon (a mixture of tan, white, light and deeper blue). It is lovely to touch, and I hope it works up as nicely as it feels in the skein. I also got two skeins of Ragg in black to finish the Shoulderette I am knitting for my girlfriend (she is crocheting me a bathing suit cover, so I had to knit her something).

Our Anniversary trip was wonderful. There are lots of pictures on Facebook, but I have no way anymore to post pictures here. I don't know where my Paint went, but I can't resize pictures right now. When I get rid of some of the drugs, I will try to figure it out again, and then I will write it down! Until then, look on Facebook to see the pictures please!

Have a great Sunday!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The.Knitter For This Useful Post:
cacunn (04-17-2010), jess_hawk (04-17-2010)
Old 04-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #11946
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

I got my CD today (The Raptor Project: All Along the Watershed)! I've been stalking the mailbox waiting for it. It's really well done, IMO. Also, you would totally think I actually knew what I was doing... I sound kinda good.

Christine: Hope things work out and the new tenant doesn't cause too much trouble.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
cacunn (04-19-2010), The.Knitter (04-21-2010)
Old 04-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #11947
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Hi Socksters,
I didn't realize it had been so long since I posted on here. I've been reading, just not writing!

Carey, that shawl pattern is beautiful! I've missed hearing from you. Glad you're doing well. I've done very little knitting lately, too.

Julie, YAY on doing well on your quiz! Keep up the good work!

Emily, that's quite a fish story. YAY that you get to be a bride'smaid!

Rache, how was the job interview? Any luck?

Christine, it's way past time you listen to your mother about jeans! Stuff that makes you looks slutty will make you look slutty just because it looks that way, not because of its fabric! Glad your trip was wonderful. What a nice tradition!

Chris, glad your AC went out in the spring rather than the summer when you'd broil! Hopefully, your electric bills will be lower.

Emily, can you upload the disc so we can all see you?

I have no tutoring on the official schedule this week! That doesn't mean I won't have any, but it's nice to have a less hectic week.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
cacunn (04-19-2010), jberry16 (04-22-2010), jess_hawk (04-19-2010), The.Knitter (04-21-2010)
Old 04-19-2010, 06:09 PM   #11948
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by G J View Post
Emily, can you upload the disc so we can all see you?
Unfortunately, no. Hopefully they will soon update their website to add samples from the songs that I can direct you to, but since it's to raise money for the wildlife hospital, uploading songs would be a no-no.

I'll keep an eye out for them to put up some samples and let you know, though... and if you want to buy a CD I can certainly direct you to where to do so... I don't remember if they're $10 or $15, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
cacunn (04-19-2010)
Old 04-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #11949
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
hey guys...been so long.

We have been so busy it seems with kids and taking care of our home this spring. We missed the fun part of cleaning up from winter's end and weeding flower beds last year. Its nice to see the surprises that bloom up here and there.

We had an offer from an Amish man, Henry...he would like to put his colts on our pasture (he raises them and needs more room)...JD is suppose to talk "dealings" this weekend. This way I could see horses but not have the cost

I'm knitting on the baby afghan that is taking forever (believe when people on ravelry say that)

I was also elected PTO President for next year so trying to get caught up on what I need to know. This year our Pres kinda left us hanging so we need to some mending next year and get the volunteers back in the school

Recital is also coming up and we will start having soccer on Tuesday (if JD thinks Isaiah's grades are good enough)and dance Wed and Thursday...

I think that is it...anyways I swung in here today and wanted to say Hi...the best way to keep up with me is on FB or the blog...I can do FB from my phone on the go...and if I miss on my blog my grandmother lets me know

I'm on here but usually through the phone to handle some spammers...I can do that pretty quick on the go too...

I miss you guys I know I keep saying this...but hopefully stuff will slow down!

I think of you all often!!

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
cacunn (04-19-2010), jberry16 (04-22-2010), jess_hawk (04-19-2010), The.Knitter (04-21-2010)
Old 04-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #11950
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Shhhhhhhhh
Don't everyone make so much noise. It's hard for me to think and get the lace pattern right when you all are talking so much!!!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The.Knitter For This Useful Post:
cacunn (04-23-2010), jess_hawk (04-22-2010)
Closed Thread