Old 04-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #11
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Ruthie

From a mechanical point of view;

"• The yarn carried across the room by the spinning yarn swift tangles itself around the frantically gyrating and barking dog; "

> In panic response knitter tightens finger on power drill trigger;

> Dog wrapped in yarn is pulled closer and closer to ball winder;

> As dogs tail is about to enter the feed guide of the ball winder. "Horrified knitter finally takes finger off power drill trigger; "

and lastly,

> Hammered Knitters children are still looking for dog.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (04-20-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #12
wellslipmystitches
Knitting the Flap

Oh Ruthie, I really hope my County Hysterical Society hurries up with my official acceptance. Excellent repartee. I'll read anything you write! Wonder if trvvn5, that bad boy, guessed he would ignite all this rhetoric over swift ball winding? Oh, please, I have to stop. Isn't it fun though? I have enjoyed. Thanks. Jean
wellslipmystitches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wellslipmystitches For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (04-20-2010)
Old 04-20-2010, 05:27 PM   #13
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
Ruthie. While I greatly appreciate your hilarious response. The poor physics geek in me is about to pop his lid. There is no such thing as centrifugal force. There is however centripetal force. And the yarn swift would detach due to its lack of centripetal force......I'm a geek. I'm ok with that.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #14
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Hi!

Chris, that's hysterical! By the time this thing gets polished up any good stand-up comedian could take it to Vegas!

Trvvn5, my engineering friend - Did you laugh? That's really the bottom line. If this thing tickled your funny bone, then my work here is done!!!

And yes, you're absolutely right - the physics involved are pretty shaky, but this was one of those things that just started to roll when I read Chris' comment about the electric drill and the ball winder.

You remind me so much of a very dear friend of mine, who, after looking at a particularly intricate painting of mine ("P'catso's Masterpiece", which I'm attaching in another post) brought up something his "engineering eye" caught that didn't work for him. My question to him was "What about the painting? How did that grab 'ya?" His answer was that he was so enthralled he couldn't stop looking at it!

I'm so glad you started this crazy thread, it's been so much fun and "Lissa" and "Wellslipmystitches", I'll be sure to let you see a draft of the knitting book I'm working on - it definitely has some of the same flavor as my earlier "ball winder" post!

Meanwhile, I'll insert P'catso in another post... and thanks everyone for adding so much additional fun to this!
Ruthie
Old 04-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #15
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Meet "P'catso"
Hi - Here's "P'catso's Masterpiece!" Enjoy!
(Original oil, 24" x 30")

Ruthie
Attached Images:

Old 04-21-2010, 08:21 AM   #16
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
Originally Posted by RuthieinMaryland View Post
Hi!

Chris, that's hysterical! By the time this thing gets polished up any good stand-up comedian could take it to Vegas!

Trvvn5, my engineering friend - Did you laugh? That's really the bottom line. If this thing tickled your funny bone, then my work here is done!!!

And yes, you're absolutely right - the physics involved are pretty shaky, but this was one of those things that just started to roll when I read Chris' comment about the electric drill and the ball winder.

You remind me so much of a very dear friend of mine, who, after looking at a particularly intricate painting of mine ("P'catso's Masterpiece", which I'm attaching in another post) brought up something his "engineering eye" caught that didn't work for him. My question to him was "What about the painting? How did that grab 'ya?" His answer was that he was so enthralled he couldn't stop looking at it!

I'm so glad you started this crazy thread, it's been so much fun and "Lissa" and "Wellslipmystitches", I'll be sure to let you see a draft of the knitting book I'm working on - it definitely has some of the same flavor as my earlier "ball winder" post!

Meanwhile, I'll insert P'catso in another post... and thanks everyone for adding so much additional fun to this!
Ruthie

It's kind of annoying that the science geek in me prevents me from enjoying certain things. It limits my ability to suspend disbelief. Like my partner loves to watch the show Fringe. I scream at the TV all the time while he watches it, because some of the stuff they do is just ridiculous.

Yes your post was fantastic. I loved it. The painting is beautiful.

Are you really working on a book? I think that would be great. Make sure you keep us posted then and we'll make sure to support your work when it's published.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trvvn5 For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (04-21-2010)
Old 04-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #17
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by trvvn5 View Post
Ruthie. While I greatly appreciate your hilarious response. The poor physics geek in me is about to pop his lid. There is no such thing as centrifugal force. There is however centripetal force. And the yarn swift would detach due to its lack of centripetal force......I'm a geek. I'm ok with that.
My daughters would pick up on that as well!

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa R. For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (04-21-2010)
Old 04-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #18
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by trvvn5 View Post

Are you really working on a book? I think that would be great. Make sure you keep us posted then and we'll make sure to support your work when it's published.
Hi, Trvvn5

I started working on the book over a year ago and was making progress on it when I developed some health problems that sidelined me and the project for nearly a year.

Thankfully I'm all better now, back at work on it and finally making some real progress. The more I get done, the more excited I am about it and can't wait to share it with other knitters.

It's a book about how to design your own knitted cotton kitchen cloths and accessories. The design lessons are all things that will be useful on many other projects and there will be 24-plus original designs as instructional examples as well as just for readers to have fun making!

I had a lot of generous support last time from knitters on this forum offering to test knit some of the projects and when this is a little further along I'm looking forward to more input.

Thanks for asking, Mr. T, and I'll be sure to let everyone know how it's going as soon as I can.

Happy knitting,
Ruthie
Old 04-24-2010, 10:56 PM   #19
Gertie
Knitting the Flap

"P'catso's Masterpiece!"

Wow! You're really good! I it!
Gertie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gertie For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (04-25-2010)
Old 04-25-2010, 12:50 AM   #20
hookedonknitting