Old 05-25-2010, 01:26 AM   #11
badboy1cdx
Ribbing the Cuff

I really like using the method suzeeq mentioned. I've used it for knitting socks and also for soda can sleeves, but it would work equally well for a top-down knit hat. Here's a link to the tutorial where I first learned how to do this:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/...giccaston.html

In the tutorial they use the example of making toe-up socks, but it would work equally well for making top-down hats. Give it a shot! It might be a bit confusing the first few times, but it works great and is easy to do once you get the hang of it.
badboy1cdx is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #12
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
That's not the method I was referring to. I've tried Judy's MCO and can't get it to work for me. I'm simply saying to try using 1 circ and ML, cast on 8 sts, pull the cord through the sts so they're divided 4 and 4, push 4 of the sts to one end, then loop the other end to join. IMO 4 sts is too few to cast on well, and 8 are much easier to manage.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #13
jruby18
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks again guys. I'm going to watch that last video. I knit in the round all the time but have never done Magic Loop.
jruby18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #14
jruby18
Ribbing the Cuff

Ok, I looked at the MCO tutorial. I think that's beyond my capabililties! I'm heading off to Joann Fabrics today to see if I can get some dpn's or the Magic Loop. I'm going to figure out how to do this if it kills me, lol!
Old 05-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #15
suzeeq
Knit On!

Magic Loop isn't something you buy by that name - it's a technique for using a longer circular needle to knit a smaller tube in the round. To start the hat and work on it, you won't need anything longer than 29-36" maximum.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:44 PM   #16
badboy1cdx
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
That's not the method I was referring to. I've tried Judy's MCO and can't get it to work for me. I'm simply saying to try using 1 circ and ML, cast on 8 sts, pull the cord through the sts so they're divided 4 and 4, push 4 of the sts to one end, then loop the other end to join. IMO 4 sts is too few to cast on well, and 8 are much easier to manage.
Ahhh, gotcha...Like I said, Judys MCO was very confusing to me at first, but now I prefer to use it and knitting with DPN's than doing magic loop knitting...I've always felt magic loop was a bit too awkward for me...
Old 05-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #17
suzeeq
Knit On!

I thought the magic CO was confusing and since I like the Turkish CO and it's easy to do, that's what I use instead. I don't do dpns, use just one and ML or sometimes 2 circs.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #18
jruby18
Ribbing the Cuff

OK, I got the dpns. I've got the circular needles. Is there a tutorial you could point me to to show me how to do the Magic Loop?
Old 05-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #19
badboy1cdx
Ribbing the Cuff

Have you looked at the magic loop video here on this site? That's where I'd start. It's under the advanced techniques tab under circular knitting.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:36 AM   #20
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by jruby18 View Post
Ok, thanks so much, guys! Hey Becky Morgan, I think I like your suggestion best. My question is this: if the pattern is to increase by knitting into front and back of the stitches, should I be increasing those first few rows like that before I join them?
Orrr, if I do the I-cord method you mentioned, can I do this on a circular round? And If I'm sliding them back and forth, then do I turn the needles around too to start working the next row?
Thanks again!

When the pattern reads KFB it's pretty easy to do your increases that way when doing top-down knitting in the round. You just begin your knit stitch in front, as normal, but without removing the stitch from the left needle, then insert the right needle into the back of the look and knit from the back. I knit combined so I'm more familiar with that form of knitting then most. It's dead easy to do, just practice a few times on a practice swatch, that's what they are for! I'm currently on beret number kajillion for my daughter's friend for the beret I saw on the front of the Winter 2009 Knitsimple magazine. It's one of the easiest top-down I know, however, I have grown to hate seed stitch.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter

Last edited by AngelaR : 05-26-2010 at 01:38 AM. Reason: What's the spelling thing all about?
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote