Old 05-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #21
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

I agree with Chris. Getting back on anything that looks even remotely like a horse is impressive.
I've only once seen someone really get thrown. She was riding a horse with the well deserved nickname of EZ, but every time she asked him to canter, something (probably his shadow) in the corner of the barn spooked him, and he would leap sideways and send her flying. She got back on twice, and the third time he threw her she hit the wall with a sound I hope I never hear again.
She was okay, but I don't think she ever rode again... and even I, sitting up on my favorite horse, had some second thoughts about the wisdom of the activity.

So congratulations on one step in the right direction!
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
The.Knitter (05-31-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #22
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

Hi! Christine encouraged me to come and join all of you sock knitters! I have a shawl that is almost off the needles and then its on to SOCKS!!!!

Excited to be starting with all of you...

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lelvsdgs For This Useful Post:
The.Knitter (06-03-2010)
Old 05-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #23
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Welcome and don't be shy about chiming in! We sometimes even actually talk about socks!

By the way, my knitting has pretty much disappeared under the pile of other crap I'm working on. I'm knitting vicariously through the rest of you, right? I still need to knit my second sock, but even that is on the back burner until I get things like Teenie's quilt done.

I have, however, finished the first draft of the novel I've been working on since Australia. (it's actually part one of a two part story, but it feels good to have SOMETHING finished!)

I set that aside and immediately got to work on a new typing project: When I got back from Ecuador, my dad was sure that my field journal was something I could just type up and send in to get it published. I've read the thing (obviously. I wrote it), and it's barely readable, let alone publishable... but now, four years later, I'm making an attempt to turn it into something that I can at least print up and give to him as a Christmas gift, if not fulfill dad's original idea and get it published. It's going fast, fortunately. On the other hand, when I get it done, I'm kind of worried that it will be bogged down in technical stuff that will completely lose anyone who is not a biologist.

And that's all besides weddings, birthdays, work, research, and the minor details like eating. And sleeping.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #24
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

Welcome!!!

Hey all,

Sorry, I've been a little busy. You may remember I went for an interview about 7 weeks ago for another job. The checks finally came back and I got the job, it starts at the end of July for 5 weeks before I start my teaching course.

I've had no hours at work for 7 weeks, I wonder if that coincides with them being asked for a reference for my new job. Oh well, I don't really want to do any cleaning except my own atm anyway.

I have not really knit anything lately, except for a calorimetry that I managed to make in a few hours when it was cold and I had really horrid earache so wanted to keep my ears warm.

I've spent the last several days watching the French Open tennis and working on a badly neglected cross stitch that I started about 3 years ago before my cousins were born. It was supposed to be for their bedroom, maybe they'll get it eventually. I think that was around the time I started knitting things other than scarves and got a bit sidetracked. I've nearly finished chart 2 of 4. I'd love to show you guys but its a pattern from an old magazine so you will have to wait until its actually done, if that ever happens!

Hope you are all well!

Rache xxx

rachejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:32 PM   #25
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by lelvsdgs View Post
Hi! Christine encouraged me to come and join all of you sock knitters! I have a shawl that is almost off the needles and then its on to SOCKS!!!!

Excited to be starting with all of you...
Hey Lee, nice to see you here! Have a look around and also look at the same thread only #2 instead of #3. That's where all the pictures of our work is.

Had a major meltdown on Saturday night. Frank and I had a huge fight over a small thing (of course), but most embarrassingly enough at my DD's house, then we proceeded to fight for half an hour while I was driving home on the highway, then it carried on the next morning, until I asked to be taken to a walk-in clinic where I truly believed I would be committed. That did not happen. They did however give me tranquilizers to calm me down, stating my GP should have done this without me having to take a meltdown first. He said no one can do this withdrawal cold turkey, alone, with nothing and no support.

Anyways, met a new knitter that lives near me. She seems nice. She used to teach knitting so she is willing to share some tips with me. I am grateful for a new "friend". She also told me about a new drop in knitting group that happens each Monday night, so I shall see if that is nice.

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The.Knitter For This Useful Post:
cacunn (05-31-2010)
Old 06-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #26
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,163 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Hi everyone
Christine

I've been super busy so far this summer, but not sure with what exactly. Not sure how I manage to fit school in (not this semester) I haven't even had time to knit, I'll check back with y'all later, enjoy your summer
jberry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
cacunn (06-02-2010), The.Knitter (06-03-2010)
Old 06-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #27
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
To be honest, Sunday I did not truly believe I would be committed! I was just finally letting off the steam that had been building up for 10 long months due to all that had happened to me. However, having said that, I went to my regular GP last night because I wanted all this on record, and he told DH that he thought I had had a nervous breakdown, after asking such questions (in front of me) as "did she go crazy?" and "was she nuts?" I made the arrangements today to change GPs to my DH's doctor in St. Catharines, who I really get along with well. Perhaps he can help me out of this muddle I am in. I still truly believe it is withdrawal related, and so do people I was visiting Sunday evening, AFTER all the storm blew over. I am NOT crazy, I am NOT nuts and I am not happy with his treatment of me. I have an appointment to see the new doctor next Tuesday at 2:15 and DH's appointment is for the same day at 11:00 a.m. Perhaps now I can get the kind of support I truly need and don't feel I have gotten.

I have to thank you all for standing behind me and supporting me through this horrendous time. It has been more hard than I have let on, but hopefully soon the drugs will be out of my system and I will feel much better in the near future!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The.Knitter For This Useful Post:
cacunn (06-03-2010)
Old 06-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #28
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Hi friends,
Lots of news here. The biggest: Emmelyn and Amit broke up. She isn't talking to me about it and seems very sad, but in the end, it's good news. Thanks for your prayers and keep them coming. I don't want her going back to him. ALso, pray that she gets a good job offer for teaching. She had three interviews, but knows she didn't get two of the jobs. The third one is in the district we live in.

School is out for the summer. I loved my long-term sub job, but was disappointed that the regular teacher never bothered to say thank you. Oh well. I think she felt threatened by me b/c the kids said I was a better teacher than she was.
My neck has been really flared up and quite painful. Oh well. Despite that, I started sewing some stuff for the house yesterday. I hired someone to make some draperies for the bedroom and I can do better work than she did, so I'll do the rest myself. At least I'll try! I can only work for short spurts before I have to take a break, so it will likely take all summer to get it done. That's okay, though. I'm in no hurry.

Julie, how's the puppy? And the kids? And DH?

Lelvsdgs, welcome! Do you have a name you'd like us to use? Share a little about yourself, if you'd like! I can't knit socks because of hand issues not getting along with little needles, but I stick around because of the people here.

Emily, a novel, huh? Sounds great! Hope you find a publisher!

Rache, good to hear from you! Good luck on the new job! I used to do cross stitch (the really tiny stuff) but gave most of it away when we moved.

Christine, I'm so glad you've found a new doctor. You need someone who will really take care of you and who you trust to look out for your best interests. It sounds like your old doc didn't fit that bill at all!

In knitting news, I finished a chemo cap and need to find a new project that gets my knitting mojo going! I have10 balls of yarn, and would like to make a 3/4 length sleeve sweater, if that's enough yarn. I'm thinking maybe another FLS? But maybe a different lace pattern? I don't know. The color is kind of drab. <sigh> Can you tell I'm not excited about it yet?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
cacunn (06-03-2010), jess_hawk (06-03-2010), The.Knitter (06-04-2010)
Old 06-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #29
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Christine - I hope things improve with the new GP.

Gina - It's too bad that Emmelyn was in that kind of situation. I hope she gets the job!
You know, someone should design finer guage needles with big grips. *starts thinking.* Oh, I totally don't need ANOTHER project right now, but I have an idea on how to do straights. How could I modify this for circs? *adds 'special knitting needles' to list of Things to Make and Do.*
As for your yarn - I think that is a lovely color and cotton makes a great sweater. find a pattern you really love and go for it!

As for my novel - it will be a long, long time before I even start looking for a publisher for that. I want Part II written before I do that.
On the other hand, I'm nearly done with the typing on my Ecuador 'travel memoir.' I hate the word memoir, by the way, because the word makes me think of old ladies sitting around telling stories about their boyfriends in WWII, or perhaps people on Safari during the period when the Europeans still occupied most of Africa. Froofy people sitting around drinking tea. That kind of thing. Which can be great stories... just not exactly the same as what I'm writing. Anyway, off that tangent... once I finish, I have a round of editing to do and then I send it to be critiqued by some non-biologists, and IF they like it, I might try to get it published for real instead of just printing up a couple of copies on www.createspace.com for me, my dad, and maybe my professor.
That's a big IF, but I'm being cautiously optimistic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
cacunn (06-03-2010), The.Knitter (06-04-2010)
Old 06-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #30
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,163 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Dang Chris, you must be old or something, lol, jk just lots of wisdom...Christine I ditto what he said

Gina puppy is great, she actually is whining to go outside to potty now, she's so funny. Dh is great, kids are great and life is all around good here. that Em broke up with Amit, I'm sure the story will come out later, continued prayers that she doesn't go back or rebound with another idiot. God always answers prayers, might not be in our time, or what we want but He does answer- you know that.

ok gotta run and take Jacob to get some food and then to his basketball practice...after today only 2 games and 1 practice left, I'll be glad to have my Thurs. and Sats free again, but will miss the chaos I'm sure. Humm, maybe swim lessons for all 3? Am I that crazy yet? maybe not...........
jberry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
cacunn (06-03-2010), The.Knitter (06-04-2010)