Old 05-25-2010, 09:06 AM   #11
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yep, after you guys have lived there a while, you get acclimated so when it drops below 50, you need warmer clothes or more layers.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #12
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
Our AC is out....so we the last few days it has been 80 outside and 83 in the house....ugh...

Actually got dehydrated on Friday...(we are renoing the kitchen...the sink is out...it is amazing how much you can miss having that particular sink....just wasn't drinking enough...as well as the house was warmer than it should have been!)

Socks are easier than they seem. And a good next challenge. If you really wanted to give yourself that extra bit of challenge, learn magic loop.

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
RoseFairy
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by aqueous18 View Post
I'm intimidated by sweaters, I think I'll make my Yorkie one first. He'll appreciate it :D
I vote on a Yorkie sweater! Haha only because I love making my dog sweaters. I live in South CA so it doesn't get cold here for a lot of knitted things. But my dog certainly needs them being a small chihuahua with little fur and peach fuzz on his chest and belly.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:09 AM   #14
Woodi
Turning the Heel

Have you made a hat yet? I knit up a quick little one on a 16-inch circular needle for a bald woman, who feels cold even in July. Having a bald head can make you feel amazingly cool, even on a hot day!....I only know this from her, but my short haircut in spring made me feel cold some days.
I did it in stockinette, with no brim nor ribbing to start. Very simple. (when you don't knit a ribbing to start, the edge curls up - which the woman loved).

This would also give you practice in circular knitting.

Here's the hat, started, and done:

Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:25 PM   #15
Catperson101
Casting On

Scarfs Forever!
I love to make a scarf, I am a begginer too. A scarf is basically rows of stiches, but you can design however! I think this is really good for a beginner, such as myself.
Catperson101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:09 PM   #16
bambi
Working the Gusset

Try something with cables! Cables are the easiest and most impressive looking technique I can think of.

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Bambi-M

I'm Bambi-M on Ravelry
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:34 AM   #17
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

I LOVE making socks. Well I got over it after almost 100 pairs, but it is twitching in my fingers every once in a while... :D

Try them, they are not hard. you just need a good instruction.

And if you want to make a scarf... I have an uncommon suggestion:

knit it across, not length wise.

make a test piece to find out how many inches you get out of 20 stitches or so. decide on the length of your scarf. A yard and a half would be mandatory, I think. Longer is possible.

do the math.

cast on as many many stitches as you need.

knit in stochinette or garder or even pattern.

do colour changes every few rows, if you like. or just do the outer few rows (first and last rows) and a different color in the middel.

you could even trough in a few big cables at the ends of the rows.

mind it, depending on how long you want your scarf and what yarn you are working with you might cast on around 300 stitches or more or less (so German / Longtail cast on is not so recommendable! too much risk to end up short or give way too much). But you do only about - what - 20 - 30 rows?
Less turning of work, amount of fabric produced is the same... that makes the same amount of stitches as a lengthwise scarf - it just looks very different - I want to make one like that myself, soon. Saw it somewhere and loved it.

Also check out www.garnstudio.com for other accessories and stuff. There were cool hats in the inspiration section there, I remember!

or just knit socks!
(instruction - with video mostly) you can also find on that website I mentioned.

PS: Addtion to the post up there with the brown hat:
I love that roll up edge, too. But sometimes a hat will stop fitting because it will not stopp rolling.
A neat trick I found on a baby girl pattern (the CUTEST sweater) was to knit stochinette for a few rows (just so it does more than one curl in) and then do a ribbing for three or four rows in 2 k 2 p. Then continue the stochinette.
The ribbing will define the edge of the curl and add some stretchy line, sitting a little tighter on the head. I will make myself a nice hat for next winter having just that trim!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote