Originally Posted by sylvia View Post
hi
i am making a huge afghan for a friend
almost finished
just lazy i wondering if you can crochet back
the afghan is so heavy and bulky that it is hard to turn
sylvia
Originally Posted by StephC42 View Post
There really isn't a pattern here to help with, if I'm following the posts correctly. sylvia is just looking for a way to make the blanket without having to turn it around at the end of a row

Originally Posted by sylvia View Post
hi
i am making a huge afghan for a friend
almost finished
just lazy i wondering if you can crochet back
the afghan is so heavy and bulky that it is hard to turn
sylvia
~emphasis is mine

If the reverse single crochet can't easily be worked in, then the simple answer for sylvia is, "you're just gonna have to keep at it."

sorry

To crochet without turning you must continue working with the same side facing you. That means one of three possibilities:
1) You are working in the round to make a doily or another similar pattern that just continues round about a center with ever increasing stitches per round to keep if flat (or less increases to let it curve into a bowl shape like a beanie hat. This can be round, square, pentagonal, hexagon, heptagonal or more sided.
2) You are working in the round on a tube shape like a sleeve, leg, or a cup cozy.
3) You could be working alternating rows from left to right either by using a reverse crochet stitch (which I find difficult to perform) or you could be using your left hand to crochet from left to right.

I think it is far easier to turn at least part of your work. One need not turn the entire Afghan but just enough to let you work the working row be turned. When the length is long enough the cast on row is far enough away from the working row to let you twist the blanket in the middle. Then the next turn you untwist the middle rows.

There are patterns for circular blankets or afghans, but you would still need to move the entire afghan (like turning a Lazy-Susan) to work all around the edge in each round.

Actually, a bowl large enough to hold most of afghan placed on a Lazy-Susan could help in turning you work, but I'm not sure that is an answer that you were looking for.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-16-2010, 08:20 AM   #12
sylvia
Knitting the Flap

hi everyone
i finished the aghan which weighed a tone
and never do one like it again
again another request for a large afghan
this time i am makeing panels about 15 stitches wide
and 64" inches long and i will crochet the panels together
and then only have to go around one time
actually a lot of fun wild colors
trying different stitches