Old 06-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #11
GrandmaLori
Knitting the Flap

I felt lots of things. I always place the item in a zipped close pillow protector or lingerie bag (keeps the fibres out of the drain.) In the bag with my item I put 2-3 clean new tennis balls for agitation. THen, in the washing machine itself, I put some old jeans for additional agitation. YOu have to be patient, and you have to keep checking because it takes how long it takes, and then it SHRINKS.
hyperactive (06-16-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by hyperactive View Post
The pattern says to pull them to shape and dry them. Should I use this as a lazy excuse, put them on my feet and let them dry there, while I knit away?
Absolutely the only way to get a proper fit for your feet is to use your feet as the mold. Put them on and stretch and pad the felted shoes to fit your feet. Then sit with your feet up until dry, if you just have to knit, I guess that is OK.

And don't forget that if they don;t fit properly they may have to be soaked again and Put them on and stretch and pad the felted shoes to fit your feet. Then sit with your feet up until dry again. Repeat until they fit properly.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
hyperactive (06-16-2010)
Old 06-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #13
Jeremy
Mod Squad

You might also knit a gauge swatch and felt it to see how much it shrinks.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #14
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Quote:
Absolutely the only way to get a proper fit for your feet is to use your feet as the mold. Put them on and stretch and pad the felted shoes to fit your feet. Then sit with your feet up until dry, if you just have to knit, I guess that is OK.

And don't forget that if they don;t fit properly they may have to be soaked again and Put them on and stretch and pad the felted shoes to fit your feet. Then sit with your feet up until dry again. Repeat until they fit properly.

oh, yay! This will be fun! I have a reason to knit without interruption. And we have a hardwood floor. walking with wet feet: NO GO. so, I will need to settle nicely and knit, and knit and knit. Sounds like the perfect weekend to me!

hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote