Old 06-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #61
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

I just got a Kindle for my birthday, and I love it!

The main reasons why I chose the Kindle over others:

1) the display is as close to reading the paper version as it gets ... I did not want a reader with a backlight as it is much harder on your eyes.

2) it has a keyboard, which makes searching and other tasks much easier (I'm not a huge fan of the touch screen, but that's probably because I just don't have a lot of experience with it).

3) price (now only $189!).

4) when you purchase e-books for your Kindle through Amazon, they are automatically archived on the Amazon website. This means that if something happens to your computer or your Kindle, you won't have lost all of the e-books you have purchased ... you can re-download them for free! It also means that if you run out of space to add more content to your Kindle, you can choose what items you want on your Kindle at the moment and leave other items off without actually losing them ... they'll stay in your archive on the Amazon website.

While different companies (eg. Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc) each have their own readers and sell e-books on their websites that are designed to work with their reader and not others, their are lots of other places to buy e-books as well! I think pretty much all of the readers now support many file types, probably the most common of which is PDF. Sites such as this one, for example, sell a huge variety of books in PDF format. This means you can use them on any reader!

If you download knitting patterns from sites such as Ravelry, then you could load them right on to your Kindle (or other reader) to take with you. I'm looking forward to being able to do this ... I'm forever printing out new copies of patterns as they tend to get chewed up looking (I take my knitting with me a lot and the print out of my pattern seems to always end up in the bottom of my bag!).

I only wish I had had one of these when I was still in college ... it would have saved me a huge amount of space and money on textbooks!

Last edited by kmaclean : 06-25-2010 at 04:35 PM.
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #62
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by kmaclean View Post
1) the display is as close to reading the paper version as it gets ... I did not want a reader with a backlight as it is much harder on your eyes.

2) it has a keyboard, which makes searching and other tasks much easier (I'm not a huge fan of the touch screen, but that's probably because I just don't have a lot of experience with it).

I think pretty much all of the readers now support many file types, probably the most common of which is PDF. Sites such as this one, for example, sell a huge variety of books in PDF format. This means you can use them on any reader!

If you download knitting patterns from sites such as Ravelry, then you could load them right on to your Kindle (or other reader) to take with you.
Oh my! Those points are so good to know!!!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:55 PM   #63
Jeremy
Mod Squad

I have two Kindles and an Ipad. I love reading on the Ipad because it does have a backlight. I can read in bed with the lights out allowing my wife to sleep. The other night I sat out on my porch with just a candle burning and read. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Kindle and Amazon has made the books you buy very accessible through your phone and your computer (including the Ipad).
ArtLady1981 (06-25-2010)
Old 06-25-2010, 05:33 PM   #64
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,804 Times in 7,163 Posts
If I was going to get a reader I'd probably lean toward the iPad myself. I love my iPod Touch and I love the touch screen. Plus you can do a million other things with it, too. I have the Kindle, B&N and Stanza apps to download any kind of of book.

I have an app called Good Reader and I download PDF's from my Ravelry library. You can also download others I think.

Nothings in the budget for that right now, but maybe someday..

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #65
SBG
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to SBG
I'd love to have a backlight. Sometimes I put books on my phone and use Aldiko to read them. It was the main thing I didn't like about the kindle.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #66
bambi
Working the Gusset

Thanks for all your input. I may be with Dollyce on this one. I think I may wait until it has all the features I want. Or perhaps an iPod touch with a kindle app...

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Bambi-M

I'm Bambi-M on Ravelry
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #67
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,804 Times in 7,163 Posts
Originally Posted by bambi View Post
Or perhaps an iPod touch with a kindle app...
That's what I have and I use it all the time! Barnes and Noble and Borders also have apps now and there's a couple where it's easy to get the free books.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
bambi (07-13-2010)
Old 07-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #68
Debbie
Working the Gusset

I love my nook and like that it does not have a backlight because I like to read at the pool and at the beach!

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Debbie For This Useful Post:
offgridgirl (10-31-2010)
Old 07-17-2010, 12:47 AM   #69
KnitWit8
Casting On

I absolutely love my kindle. My mom got it for me this past Christmas and I have read more books on it in the past 6 months than I did when I was in high school and my first year of college. I love to read but where I live the nearest Barnes and Noble is across town so it is really inconvenient. I love how I can download books from my computer or from my kindle. The screen is designed to look like paper that is why there is no back light. That really helps because my eyes are so bad and looking at a computer screen for too long gives me headaches. To read in the dark I use a normal book light. The best feature about the kindle is the dictionary that is already on it when you buy it. If you don't know the meaning of a word while you are reading you can scroll over to it with the cursor and the kindle will define it for you! That is my favorite feature.

Another great thing is that they have recently added a feature that lets you browse the internet on your kindle. It may be in black and white but the wireless is free and you don't have to pay for huge data charges. My kindle has replace my cell phone when it comes to checking e-mail.

The last thing I will point out is that many classic books are free on the Kindle. Books such as: Pride and Prejudice, Treasure Island, and Wuthering Heights.

What can I say, I just love my Kindle.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:11 PM   #70
margrue
Ribbing the Cuff

eReader
I researched several eReaders and ended up getting a Sony Touch, which I love. I have been wasting a lot of time surfing all the free eBook sites, and love being able to show someone the eReader with 30 or so books loaded and tell them I got them all for free!
OK, there is a lot of junk on the free sites, but if you look around you can find stuff that isn't three hundred years old and written in French.
It is perfect for stuffing in my purse so I always have something to read without having to carry a 5 pound book around. And on trips when I would usually take a couple books (don't want to be without something to read) I just carry this little Reader.
Now, if only knitting books and patterns were in the eBook format!

Originally Posted by Belphoebe View Post
Has anyone researched the differences? I saw a Nook in person today and found it interesting. I have yet to see a Kindle, but have read some about it. Anyone have either of these?
margrue is offline   Reply With Quote