Old 06-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
margz3
Working the Gusset

OT: Annoying Commercial Jingles
A co-worker and myself have been having a battle of annoying commercial jingles. It started last week when she told me she had the new Burger King commercial stuck in her head, to which I replied that that commercial made the Filet of Fish commercial seem great by comparisin! Since that day, we have been putting annoying commercial jingles in emails and voicemails. (1-877 cars for kids, Daycation, Chili's Baby back ribs)

What is YOUR most annoying jingle?

OTN

socks (still!)
dishcloths
baby afghans
HAP items

margz3 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

I can't think of a jingle that currently irritates me, but for some reason, the adult pertussis vaccine ad drives me crazy. I hate the way the lady talks, the creepy wheezing/coughing segments and I dunno...the whole thing makes me grit.my.teeth.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
etoilechaude
Knitting the Flap

The most annoying commercials to me all involve hearing people chew (which is my biggest pet peeve... I'll literally excuse myself from the room sometimes).

So I guess the twix commercial where they're trying to integrate biting of the candy bar into a 'song' is the most annoying one I can think of at the moment!

EvanP on Ravelry (Hey that's rhymes!)
etoilechaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

I guess it's not technically a jingle, but the commercial for that Head On migraine product is pretty brutal! "Head On, apply directly to your forehead!" repeated continuously throughout the whole ad ... seriously, who came up with that idea?

Also, any commercial featuring Billy Mays (I realize he is no longer with us, and mean no disrespect) is pretty annoying ... why is he yelling at me through the tv screen?? It hasn't made me want to buy a single one of his products!
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
kellyh57
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by kmaclean View Post
I guess it's not technically a jingle, but the commercial for that Head On migraine product is pretty brutal! "Head On, apply directly to your forehead!" repeated continuously throughout the whole ad ... seriously, who came up with that idea?
There was a lady that I knew that saw that commercial and had no idea what it was for. She asked the people in the room and they didn't know. They went around asking people if they knew what it was and nobody knew. The first commercials never said what it was for. If you assumed headache, you were right, but it could be for anything really- allergies, brain power, wrinkles....Same thing with Airborne. I thought it was a medication for flight sickness. I could never figure out why it was such a big deal that it was developed by a teacher though. (I think these have the same advertising company behind them.) Maybe they want you to talk about the stuff and make it popular that way, but it's just weird!

As for me, I hate the Sonic guys. The ones that go around and make fun of each other and the other fast food places while they eat Sonic. Now it's the REAL ice cream tagline. How annoying! Sonic needs to go back to the girls in roller-skates hawking their stuff!
Old 06-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
It is times like this that I am glad I don't have cable!

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
HollyP
Working the Gusset

There used to be a local futon store that had a commercial with two women singing the words Chimney Hill over and over again. The store closed several years ago and I can still hear their screeching.

Step in Time chimney sweep commercials get stuck in my head for days. In fact just thinking about I am sure to be singing it for days now!

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
Originally Posted by kmaclean View Post

Also, any commercial featuring Billy Mays (I realize he is no longer with us, and mean no disrespect) is pretty annoying ... why is he yelling at me through the tv screen?? It hasn't made me want to buy a single one of his products!
Bingo! I hate that head on commercial and can't stand Billy Mays screaming. His voice is just grating!

Can't think of any offhand, but I know there's a few newer ones that are annoying..

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

The commercials I have always HATED are the ones for medicine!!! ANY medicine!!!! I mean, if I have that particular problem, I'll talk to my own Dr about it, thank you very much. Just because you have a commercial about it is NOT going to make me run out and buy it.

Oh to go back to the "good old days" when all there was were commercials about REAL PRODUCTS that you could buy in a grocery store. NOT ones about medicine, mesothelioma, credit ratings, etc............

knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:52 PM   #10
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
Originally Posted by knitcindy View Post
The commercials I have always HATED are the ones for medicine!!! ANY medicine!!!! I mean, if I have that particular problem, I'll talk to my own Dr about it, thank you very much. Just because you have a commercial about it is NOT going to make me run out and buy it.

Oh to go back to the "good old days" when all there was were commercials about REAL PRODUCTS that you could buy in a grocery store. NOT ones about medicine, mesothelioma, credit ratings, etc............

knitcindy
I have always wondered about that..."ask your doctor"...but why...don't you think if they thought it was right for you, they would prescribe that?

My doctor put me through 3 different birth control pills before settling on one that she thought was right for me. I wasn't just going to go marching in there and say "I want Alyess because it says so in the commercial"...I didn't ask, and it was one she swapped out for me, but what is up with that anyway?

That and the long list of side effects that would probably make you wish you just had the aliment to begin with....*sigh*

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote