Old 07-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #31
kae1crafts
1st Leg of the Journey

I will check the Red Cross Liasion re beanie type liners
Originally Posted by wdkeyser View Post
I'm so disappointed....I just read on the Citizen SAM site that they will no longer be allowed to send the the helmet liners to the troops. I just purchased all the supplies I would need so I could start one. November is the last time they will accept them so if you've started one, get it in quickly!!

Wendy
Thanks for the update Wendy - I will check with the Red Cross Liasion re the beanie type liners.

Kae
kae1crafts is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #32
GinnyG
Instepping Out

That is sad!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #33
kae1crafts
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GinnyG View Post
That is sad!
Dear kae1crafts,

GinnyG has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Helmet Lners for the Troops - in the Charity Knitting forum of KnittingHelp.com Forum.

This thread is located at:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...9&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:

I just went to the Citizen Sam website and could find nothing about them not accepting the helmet liners after November......
http://citizensam.org/

Could you link the information?

Ginny,

The info came from Wendy in post 30 of this thread. I don't have the link.

Kae
Old 07-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #34
sgtpam
Turning the Heel

There was a post on Ravelry knitting military supporters group by SerineKat. that says "Citizen Support for America’s Military (CSAM), Operation Helmetliner’s parent organization, has recently been informed by its military contacts for the helmet liners that the military has begun issuing its own helmet liners made of a special wicking material as its standard. They will no longer be allowed to accept the liners you have so lovingly made."

There's more to her post...

http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/knitt...s/1239995/1-25

sgtpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #35
knitbrit10
Casting On

Damn! I literally just was directed to this thread.Does anyone here know of a British equivalent because they are still over there and are not coming back,for a while as far as I know.I would appreciate it if anyone knows anything.Thanks a lot.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:09 PM   #36
kae1crafts
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by knitbrit10 View Post
Damn! I literally just was directed to this thread.Does anyone here know of a British equivalent because they are still over there and are not coming back,for a while as far as I know.I would appreciate it if anyone knows anything.Thanks a lot.
The latest information I have is from the Red Cross Liaision at Ft. Carson - the deploying troops have been issued helmets with memory foam liners that protect the troops better from the IED blasts but don't have any extra room for helmet liners.

Troops that have the older helmets still use the wool beanie type liners - especially if they are in the mountains of Afghanistan - which is very cold. There is no organized group that is supplying these liners that I have found but if you have contact with a specific soldier in that area, you can address a box of the liners to that person so they can hand them out to their buddies. Be sure the soldier is willing to do this.

I hope this information helps.

Hugs, happy stitching and thanks for thinking of our troops.

Kae
Old 04-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #37
Gertie
Knitting the Flap

I received this yesterday from Citizen Support for America's Military. I'm posting it in case anyone would like to check out their site for other ways to help our troops. The note also has their new address.

"Citizen Support for America's Military (CSAM), Operation Helmetliner's parent organization, has recently been informed by its military contacts for the helmet liners that the military has begun issuing its own helmet liners made of a special wicking material as its standard. They will no longer be allowed to accept the liners, stocking caps, neck gators or scarves you have so lovingly made.

"Thank you for all your awesome support of this wonderful project over the past 5 years. Please use your skill and talents, care and love in other ways to support our troops. Our website, www.citizensam.org, offers many projects that may fit your skills that are not being closed down, as Operation Helmetliner must do. We will ship any helmetliners you have already made, but must discontinue after that.

"Remember, it is all about supporting them in any way we can. It is the least we can do in return for their sacrifices.

"This is also to notify you we have changed our address. Please send all future mail/packages to the following address:

Citizen Support for America's Military
PO Box 1975
Bloomington, IL 61702-1975
309 692 4008

"We appreciate your generosity because without volunteers like you this would not be possible.

Citizen Sam Board Members"
Gertie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gertie For This Useful Post:
fatoldladyinpjs (05-03-2011), pinnut3200 (05-04-2011)
Old 05-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #38
kitchnerkat
Casting On

I would like to make the helmet liners but I am a beginner. Is this too much for a beginner? Don't laugh I have been a beginner knitter my whole knitting life.
kitchnerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #39
kae1crafts
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by kitchnerkat View Post
I would like to make the helmet liners but I am a beginner. Is this too much for a beginner? Don't laugh I have been a beginner knitter my whole knitting life.
If you can knit, purl, increase one stitch and knit two together you should be able to do this hat. It is easiest of you have a size 8 or 9 circular needle 16-inch and a set of matching double point needles.

The pattern is free courtesy of the Denver Public Library and here is a link to the PDF file http://denverlibrary.org/files/knitting.pdf

Please note that none of the organizations are accepting helmet liners for the troops as their helmets have changed and there is no longer room for a knitted liner. These are still great hats for wearing off-duty or to make for other charities. If they are being sent to the military - 100% wool is a must for safety reasons.

Most of the techniques needed are either demonstrated on Knitting Help or you can Google the name and find numerous YouTube videos to help.

Good luck and happy stitching,

Kae
Old 05-04-2011, 12:08 AM   #40
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

If you want another project to replace the helmet liners that have been discontinued, there are plenty. If you don't know where to donate knitted items, you can always contact your local Salvation Army. Schools are always looking for hats, scarves, and mittens for needy students. If you're a beginner, you can knit a simple blanket to put in the bottom of cages at your local animal shelter. You can call them to see if they will take them and what sizes they need. You don't have to do the Snuggles pattern they show you here. You can simply do all garter stitch if you want. Use any yarn. Use any size needle. Make a striped blanket to use up your yarn stash. It's your pet blanket your way. These are great blankets to practice new stitches on. When I was practicing Fair Isle knitting, my cats got some of the prettiest sleeping blankets in town, if I do say so myself.
http://volunteerguide.org/volunteer/...l-shelters.htm
http://www.snugglesproject.org/knit/...r-snuggle.html

http://www.p2designs.com/Links-CharityPatterns.htm

http://classic-web.archive.org/web/2...ftforprr.shtml

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/ch...links.html#usa
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatoldladyinpjs For This Useful Post:
Gertie (05-05-2011), salmonmac (05-06-2011), YarnyOne (06-24-2011)