Old 08-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #11
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

PBS...along the lines of what Rhonda was saying, have you ever thought of maybe getting a rescue dog/cat? Sometimes just having a pet that adores you no matter what you look like or how you feel can make a big difference. Just sitting quietly stroking your dog/cat is very relaxing and calming.
I'll say a little prayer for you and hope your problems get all better soon.
Mary
Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society. Benjamin Franklin

Sknitter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sknitter56 For This Useful Post:
pbs (08-10-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-10-2010, 03:26 AM   #12
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

I can't help the feeling that a lot of us do not just knit to fill the cloth lines.

Knitting is a therapy, a helper, a distraction, an outlet, a relieve. For me it is a constant in my life these days that lets me forget about stress and built up energy. I totally love that outlet and don't want to let go.

And obviously you have chosen to go this way and asked about it.

So: go and get better!

btw: there are books with titles like "one skein wonders" and so on... projects made from just one ball of yarn. Those might be worth doing. they have stuffed animals, hats, wrist warmers, gloves / mittens, decorational stuff, dish cloth, wash cloth, handtowels, baby things ... already pre-selected for one skein / ball only.

And what about baby shoes or socks? there are patterns to be knit flat, so they are really easy. You CAN go creative about them but even plain they are very nice and very useful. And they are quick, really quick! FOs that just fly off your needles in comparison to other projects. Your grandson would love it, too.

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #13
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

You've all been so wonderful with great ideas--it's so helpful to be reminded that others suffer with hardships too. I know it's really selfish to think I'm the only one with problems, but sometimes I just get so self absorbed that it's good to be reminded of others. You were all great and had some wonderful ideas. I went to my LYS yesterday and told them to pick me out something--I'm doing a bright green blanket on the diagonal with a teal edging for my grandson. My daughter just changed his "baby" room to primary colors, so I think it will go well wih the new stuff.

There are a few comments I'd like to "reply" to, but I don't know how. When I click "reply" at the end of their comment it takes me to a repeat of the comment. Do I just scroll to the bottom of their comment to reply, or what do I do?

Again,thank you all for your special thoughts and prayers. Today is a tiny bit better and you've all had a major part in that. It's always surprising how kind and caring people you've never met can be when they can identify with your pain.
pbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #14
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Originally Posted by pbs View Post
There are a few comments I'd like to "reply" to, but I don't know how. When I click "reply" at the end of their comment it takes me to a repeat of the comment. Do I just scroll to the bottom of their comment to reply, or what do I do?
Click the quote button under the post. It'll put what that person said in the message. If you want only part of it as I quoted above you just highlight the part you don't want and hit delete or backspace over what you don't want. It needs to have the [ quote ] with no spaces, at the beginning and the [ / quote ] with no spaces at the end to be quoted.

Glad you're working on a new project! That sounds pretty!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
pbs (08-10-2010)
Old 08-12-2010, 12:33 AM   #15
mspwrz
1st Leg of the Journey

Good luck with the project. I am finishing up on an Oddball Blanket myself. I knit the last section and I am crocheting the border now. It will be donated to charity I am also working on a preemie blanket section for the same charity group. when I am done I will sent it on to the next knitter. I get a great deal of enjoyment and satisfaction from knitting for others. You might want to consider joining one of the groups on charity knitting.
OTH: Hat to match scarf
FO: (C)Scarf for International Swap, 12 chemo hats this month, 2 Oddball blanket sections
ITB-too many UFO's LOL!!!!
mspwrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #16
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Good to hear that you have your head over water. Keep going this way. The spiral up may be steep sometimes, but it leads you up.

A bright green blanket sounds like a real lifter! Good luck and happy knitting!

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #17
Krystal
Turning the Heel

Maybe you could start with small things for use around the house in calming colours. This may seem silly but knitting a small dish cloth for washing the dishes was a nice escape for me when I had too many things on the needles and they were all too big and I just wanted to knit something small and easy. The quicker the project the more instant the gratification. Plus dish cloths are useful!

There are lots of different patterns you can try with them too without it being overwhelming. I have 2 right now I use for washing dishes and they are great.

But you could make yours into something more Spa like. A a mall face mask, and a hand cloth made of a nice soft cotton and when they are done treat yourself to a home spa day. Relax in a tub of bubbles with your knits and pamper yourself.

If you still want to knit something for your grandson, hats are usually nice and quick to do.

I hope things get better for you.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #18
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
This may seem silly but knitting a small dish cloth for washing the dishes was a nice escape for me.
Do you just knit them on the diagonal or what kind of pattern do you use?
pbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:46 PM   #19
Krystal
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by pbs View Post
Do you just knit them on the diagonal or what kind of pattern do you use?
I've knit diagonal ones but there's lots of different patterns you can choose from. Here is a nice list.

http://dishandwashclothmania.com/grandmas-favorite-dishcloth-knit/

Old 08-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #20
psquidy
Turning the Heel

www.knittingpatterncentral.com
They have a dishcloth section as well that is really fun to look through.
If you made tone of dishcloths you could always sew them together to make another blanket!!!! Your blanket sounds really pretty though. Enjoy working on it.

When I look back at all I've gone through in my life knitting is the one constant that always challenges me and brings me such joy and satisfaction. When I think of that I always think of this community of knitters from around the world and how good and kind they've been to me. I don't consider myself much for anything computer/internet related so it is always a surprise how much I love this site and all it's members. And also how proud I am to be a part of it. So USE US! We are all here for you. You'll get through this rough patch and be stronger for it. And you'll have a beautiful blanket!!!
I'm over here in Nova Scotia Canada sending you happy thoughts and lots and lots of love! Think of all the other KH members who are doing the same thing!
We're like a bunch of freaking care bears....we're doing the care bear count down....
pbs (08-15-2010)