One of my friends returned from a study abroad in mexico with a gift
of yarn for me about a year or so ago.
It's fairly chunky (think a little above worsted weight... like it belongs on 9s or 10s rather than 7s). It's a little rough to the touch (but not Red Heart Super Saver rough), and felt like it deserved to be made into something that would be sturdy. It had no label, so we did a lighter-test on it to see if we could determine more about the material. It shriveled and melted, so we figured it's at least mostly acrylic or something else synthetic.
Finally I came up with what it looked like, given the weight, material, and color. Shopping bag! So I found this pattern:
This is what I got:
I'm really pleased. It's full of lots of random lumpy stuff in this picture, keep that in mind, lol. It's also a LOT smaller looking when empty. The yarn doesn't stretch but the pattern does! It will accommodate almost anything, I think.
The pattern calls for using two colors, but since I already had a mutli-colored yarn, I just skipped switching colors, and knitted straight through off one ball. I did 40 rows total of the "bag stitch" it calls for. That's the only change. There's also a bit of a problem with the math where you make the handles, and the number of stitches don't come out right. I had to do some on-the-fly fixes there, which involved casting on a different number of stitches on the edge below the handles (the cast on after you do the first 5 rows) than the pattern calls for.
I've got enough yarn left for at least one more, so I think this one will have a friend.
Edit: And here's the friend!