Old 08-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #11
Stinne
Casting On

I'm sorry for bringing this old thread back up, but I'm new to crocheting, bought this book and have now been struggling with this muzzle all evening... Searched the Internet, checked on Google and tried what feels like a million things but I still can't make it work. Could someone please please explain how to follow this pattern as if I were three years old? ;-)

If I chain 7 and then sc into the second st from the hook, then I can't for the life of me understand where I'm supposed to put the next 6 - there are only 5 stitches remaining? And what does "on the other side of the ch7" mean? I can see that I'm supposed to "go around the chain" to make an oval, but I just can't seem to get it right...

Please help, I feel incredibly dumb and very frustrated, all the other parts of the hippo are done and look like the picture ;-)
Stinne is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-27-2010, 10:41 PM   #12
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Here is a picture I drew.
Chain 7, sc in 2nd chain from hook and each chain across (6sc), ch 2, SC in other side of the 6 chain sts.
Click image for larger version

Name:	HippoMuzzle.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	54777

Chain 7 is shown in black ovals. first 6 sc shown with Xs in black. ch2 shown in blue, 6 sc on second side of chain in blue and final ch2 ending the first round. mm Change to red x for 5sc across, 2 sc in each of next 3 sts (around one end), etc. green follows red and they build up on each other to make an oval bowl. Then you start the decreases.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:45 AM   #13
Stinne
Casting On

Thank you sooo much! I think what confused me was I thought it was 1 + 6 sc in the beginning, but now I see that the sc in the second st is part of the 6 sc... if that makes any sense ;-)

Hopefully I'll now be able to finish my hippo (first ever crochet project!)
Stinne is offline   Reply With Quote