Old 08-31-2010, 05:12 PM   #21
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

*Shakes Head*
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I think maybe the marine battery might be a little heavy to carry around in my purse. I think maybe the battery jacket might be easier.

Blonde much?

Probably forgot what I said about a portable solar panel (15 watts) that I mentioned to Dollyce. I found the link and the marine battery was for off-grid power storage and recharge for phone and laptop.

Come to think of it, Dollyce, if you are handy with electronic components and solder you could build your own solar panel for your laptop and phone power need when you go off grid.

On the same site are plans for a larger 60 watt solar panel and also for a wind turbine.

I was just doing more research and it looks like the charge controller design is flawed and could let a wind turbine over-spin and melt down the motor windings. Well, it isn't knitting so might as well just stop talking about it.

Solar panels could be useful when off grid. They are very quite.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-01-2010, 10:27 AM   #22
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
I am typing this on my new Droid X! Wow! I cannot tell.you how much FASTER the web pages load up! It's like when we graduated from dial-up to high-speed internet! Well I guess that's what my SAGA (Samsung) was: dial-up, but I was grateful to have internet access OF ANY KIND these past two years when we were off-the-grid at 4300 elev on Nighthawk Summit!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:29 AM   #23
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

FOLLOW-UP
Having a blast with my new DROID X. It's certainly user-friendly. I "paired" my Jawbone earbud with the DROID without looking in the manual! Yay!

The battery life sucks, but I have lots of wall plugs for it, 3 in fact. I plug it in every time it hits 40-50%. It juices right back up in no time. One nice feature, you can open a page that tells you ALL the features that are sucking up your juice, and gives the percentages.

I am STUNNED how fast internet pages load up! Did I say that already? It's makes forum participation so much quicker!

Wanna know what my biggest HURDLE was, and forced me to dial 611 for Verizon HELP!?

I couldn't figure out how to answer the phone!

Here's why: After a minute, the screen goes dark (battery saver) and it 'locks' itself. Easy to unlock on normal circumstances.

But when a call comes in, the screen lights up, and there is a green phone (handset symbol) on the left, and a red phone handset on the right. I poke the green phone handset, but nothin' happens. I'm scrambling around, trying to figure out how to unlock the d&@#! phone...too late...the call is gone.

Here's how to answer the phone: press your finger on the green phone, and swipe it to the right. Doh. It unlocks the phone and answers it all at the same darn time.

If you swipe the red phone to the left, it mutes the call. Sigh.

One thing I am LOVING: Verizon technicians know their stuff, backwards and forwards. I had a few intricate questions, and they knew the answers right away! Yay for that! The Verizon technicians aren't dummies.

Artlady at Rav
Old 09-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #24
sgtpam
Turning the Heel

I've been hoping for an update from you...I've had my verizon USB modem for my laptop for over 2 years and it's ready for the 2-year upgrade, so is my phone. I was hoping to get rid of the USB modem and just have my cell phone with internet that would also let my laptop connect. Trying to save the $$ and upgrade at the same time

Have you used it to connect your laptop yet...or just used the internet on the phone?

And do you really need the extra battery? I was reading that you can use it at the same time it's plugged in and charging.

sgtpam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sgtpam For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (09-05-2010)
Old 09-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #25
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

I've tethered it to my laptop to transfer photos! Real nifty. Don't have to take a lot of great photos all over again! But I haven't used it to grab an internet signal in order to use my laptop itself. There's no need to. I have an unlimited data package for my DroidX, so it is my high-speed internet! I must tell you, it is so easy to type on the virtual keyboard. When you turn it sideways the keyboard is wider and I'm less likely to hit the wrong key! Besides that, it corrects a lot of spelling boo-boos automatically, and you're prolly aware that these keyboards give options to finish a word!

Anyway, you could totally convert to the DroidX for phone, email, and internet. I dunno about the security of online bill-paying, banking and shopping. I personally would never conduct any of those 3 tasks using a cell phone, nor my laptop at a remote location. I don't know all there is to know about free WiFi at remote locations, nor the use of an internet 'key' that plugs in to your laptop USB port for internet access. I know that (2 years ago) when I was weighing my options, Verizon offered 'the let's (forget what it's called) for$ 59 per month. Ouch. So I just went with the unlimited data package and called it good enough! And it's served my needs well. BUT NOW, with the DroidX hi-speed internet and full functionality (to my needs)....WOW! It's great!

I've called Verizon twice for help, and like I said, the techs aren't dummies. YAY! I have a good PDF manual on my laptop, it is also in my phone, and if you GOOGLE the word DROID X you find lots of info, too.

YES, I plug in my phone and use it at the same time. No problem. If I really wanted to fully charge it from, let's say, 30%, I would leave it be.

I'm using it now! It was faster to check email than firing up the laptop!

Happy to share any further info!

Artlady at Rav
Old 09-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #26
sgtpam
Turning the Heel

They say you can tether it to your laptop to use the internet on your laptop; if so, I thought I could get rid of the internet card (verizon) that I've got now.

I think the think I'm stuck on is that I really like a bigger screen, so, I don't know if I can give up my laptop (with internet access). I was hoping to be able to tether (I'd forgotten the word) the DroidX to my laptop when I was home. I never use any "hotspot" or wi-fi out in public either, though I'm sure I'll use the internet on the Droid if/when I get it.

What I'm not understanding is, if I tether to my laptop, is that the same as using the phone to pay bills/do banking?

sgtpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #27
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

VERIZON will be able to answer security questions for you. They know their stuff. As I tried to think about it logically, the only conclusion I could come up with is: tethering you DROID to your laptop converts your laptop to "the viewing screen" for the DROID, seeing how it is the DROID that's pulling in the internet signal. If a cell phone is insecure for banking, shopping...then it wouldn't miraculously transform to "secure" with a laptop as the viewing screen. I might be ALL WRONG in my thinking.

When we're in our home, utilizing the wireless router within our home...remember, it is LOCKED and FIREWALLED against intruders & hackers. But I don't think our DROID is able to become LOCKED& FIREWALLED, is it?

It's a very interesting subject. We should try to find out. I would like to know for sure. I saw Verizon's TV ads that showed people, out and about, sitting on a park bench, with their DROID & their laptop working together...I think 'tethered'. So the DROID is pulling the signal, the laptop is the visual tool.

Let me know what you find out, and I'll try to get thru to them, too. I sat 'on hold' so long last night I gave up and hung up!

Artlady at Rav
Old 09-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #28
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
Check this out, Dollyce!
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...95#post1299495

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #29
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Part of the Answer...
Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
VERIZON will be able to answer security questions for you. They know their stuff. As I tried to think about it logically, the only conclusion I could come up with is: tethering you DROID to your laptop converts your laptop to "the viewing screen" for the DROID, seeing how it is the DROID that's pulling in the internet signal. If a cell phone is insecure for banking, shopping...then it wouldn't miraculously transform to "secure" with a laptop as the viewing screen. I might be ALL WRONG in my thinking.

Actually that is just the opposite of what happens. Teathering simply makes the droid-x a high-speed, dial-up modem for your laptop. Viewing on any smart phone requires apps instead of the browser to let you see the "world wide web" sites that use http and www in the link. The web use HTML and other protocols to provide text, formatting, links, color, and in-line images to give a fuller multi-media interface via a browser. The phone uses a different app and web coding, both are not as mature nor as secured as the browsers available on laptops. Firewall software and intruder detection software already exist on the laptop from large and well know brands like McAfee, Norton, and others. Smart phones have not yet needed these apps, but security experts fear they are needed. Provided you have internet security software already on your laptop you are good to go with your on-line commerce.

Data rates will be different as the full HTML web is transmitted to your laptop instead of any short-cut savings the droid apps provided. That subject is addressed by Jan in CA in her other thread she linked.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OffJumpsJack For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (09-07-2010), sgtpam (09-07-2010)
Old 09-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #30
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanks for taking time to input!

Artlady at Rav