Old 09-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #161
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Originally Posted by rachejm View Post
Anyone have any good study tips that will help me out?
study tips? Gina's great at those... But I like to have everything done before I sit down to study or else I'll be thinking about the laundry that should be folded or the dishes that should be in the dishwasher or ... you get the idea. And another thing I like to do is be alone, 3 little munchkins running around make it hard to concentrate. I also have to know I have 1 hour to do it in at a time or I can't get "in the groove." Sometimes getting motivated is the hardest part, I still am looking for ideas there.
hope that helps, eventhough I didn't give you any.
take notes while you read, I'm an aweful reader/remember-er. I can read a paragraph 3 times and have no clue what I read; always been that way.
jberry16 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #162
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Hi friends! So nice to see some chatter on here!

Christine, hope you have a wonderful day! My DH offices at home (unless he's out of town), so I kind of like it when he leaves once in awhile. With the economy the way it is, he's not traveling as much, so he's always here. I love him, but too much of him I don't love! What I'm trying to say is Enjoy your day!

Emily, I'm sorry that your weekend was so yucky. I feel for you. ANd I'm SO sorry to hear about your grandpa.

Julie, UGH. Sick kids and no party. Yuck. Hope it improves!

Rache, HOpe your class goes well. Like Julie said, I have LOTs of study tips--that's what I do for a living--teach organizational and study skills. What specifically do you need help with? Julie's advice to take notes of what you read is excellent advice. You forget 80% if you don't! But you need to have an idea of what's important BEFORE you read. So try to answer the questions at the end of the chapter or online FIRST. Then look for those answers as you read. Try to take notes from MEMORY, rather than copying from the book. You're more likely to write just the important stuff and remember it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (09-07-2010), jess_hawk (09-07-2010), The.Knitter (09-09-2010)
Old 09-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #163
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

Thanks for the advice!

I'm starting with the section on teaching reading today because I know there is an assignment on that at some point. Other than that I guess I'm just gonna go with things I need to brush up on in maths and science. I read quite a bit about PE yesterday, I'll try to write up some notes on that from memory tonight and see how much I actually took in.

rachejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #164
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

I love owls.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (09-08-2010)
Old 09-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #165
jberry16
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
There is a question on another thread about Knitty's Back to Basic sock.

First Sock Project

Here is the part I don't get.....

Heel will be worked back and forth over sts on Needle 2 only, as follows:
Row 1 [RS]: K48, W&T.
Row 2 [WS]: P28, W&T.
Row 3 [RS]: K27, W&T.
Row 4 [WS]: P26, W&T.

Rows 5-22: Continue in stockinette st, working each short row 1 st shorter than the last. Row 22 is 8 sts long.

How did the designer get to 8 stitches at row 22?

Pattern link.

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall07/PATTbacktobasics.html
Chris, bear with me conisdering I just woke up (long enough to turn the computer on & let the dog out) & had a rough night last night with Katie who couldnt breathe because of her cold & "boogers in my nose."

From the looks of it, I'm thinking the 8 sts ends up being the last part of this sock on the very top of the foot, so the heel/gusset is one and it wraps around the heel & up around the top of the foot. Looks like something I'd like to try & might have a go at when I wake up some more. I'll re-read through the pattern then and see what I can find. In the meantime maybe check ravelry to see if there's any erata available?

Duh! just saw your question asking how designer got o 8 sts on row 22. Here's my first morning math (dont laugh)
at row 4 you have 26 sts, each row you're decreasing by 1.
row 22-row 4= 18 sts decreased.
26 sts - 18 sts = 8 sts left after all decreases.

Last edited by jberry16 : 09-09-2010 at 09:01 AM. Reason: to do the math
The Following User Says Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
cacunn (09-09-2010)
Old 09-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #166
jberry16
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
Julie
Thank You. My mind is not working I had to chart it to confirm what you and the pattern were saying.

With Katies small nose the boogers would not have to be too big to cause problems. Give her a hug for me and tell the boogers to go away.
Chris that's really sad that first thing in the morning my mind was able to do math, and esp math that your mind wasn't wanting to complete. I'm scared.

I'll tell Katie.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #167
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by jess_hawk View Post

I love owls.
I am so much better at knitting with my hands than with the beak and talons. Imagine how long an FO would take doing it that way?

Nothing has come in the mail yet. It has to cross the border. I`ll let you know when it gets here! Thanks so much!!!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The.Knitter For This Useful Post:
jess_hawk (09-09-2010)
Old 09-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #168
kajomo
Casting On

Hi guys..sorry to butt in the middle of your conversation! I know in a forum where everyone knows everyone it can be a bit annoying.

Chris invited me over because she thought you all could probably help me along. I am going to be starting my first pair of socks here soon and she was helping me with a question and now I have another one! I hate DPN's....have tried them with hats and I just can't make them work..they are awkward to me. So my question is, are there any gotchas in just using 2 circulars?

You may now resume your regular programing....

Karen
kajomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #169
jberry16
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by kajomo View Post
Hi guys..sorry to butt in the middle of your conversation! I know in a forum where everyone knows everyone it can be a bit annoying.

Chris invited me over because she thought you all could probably help me along. I am going to be starting my first pair of socks here soon and she was helping me with a question and now I have another one! I hate DPN's....have tried them with hats and I just can't make them work..they are awkward to me. So my question is, are there any gotchas in just using 2 circulars?

You may now resume your regular programing....

Karen
Welcome! You can easily use two circs or even one long circ (called magic loop) I'm sure Chris has told you about Silvers Sock Class ? That will help lots & of course we're here, dont feel like you're introuding, you're not; welcome to the any sock family!
Old 09-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #170
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Hi Karen and welcome:

I have to tell you that Chris is a male! We are very proud of our kilt hose knitter!

I agree with Julie. Go to the site she sent you to and you will learn about sock construction from the best source. I learned how to knit socks from Silver, as did a lot of people in our group.

I hope you enjoy it here. Just jump right in. NEVER feel you are intruding. We are always glad to have a new member and will chat and help wherever we can.

Having said that, I am a DPN user and have never tried to knit socks with circs, so you won't get a lot of help from me on that topic!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote