Old 02-20-2007, 12:29 AM   #21
knittingdoula
1st Leg of the Journey

Yes, I remember Debbie Bliss touting in her books how the Cashmerino was a "luxury mix" of wool, cashmere and microfiber. Weeeeelllll, ok. I guess. But I really don't think she's fooling anyone. Microfiber is simply another name for "not natural fiber".

It's a decent yarn, not worth the price, as another poster pointed out, though I am knitting a baby sweater with it right now, to be honest. And yes, it's a bit splitty, which bites. But overall, it's a nice yarn.

Malabrigo's feel is quite wonderful, and I like it for baby items especially. Especially since it's pure wool, and I get a bit picky about only allowing pure cotton or wool next to a baby's skin in the early months. Excellent yardage, I agree, and quite decent price. For those of you who don't like the pilling factor, check out Malabrigo's new chunky yarn. It's a plied yarn with gorgeous colorways, good yardage compared to other chunky yarns and holds up beautifully.

As for yarns that don't meet certain expectations after you've heard so much about them, I can sympathize. I had heard that everyone LOVED Socks That Rock. Everyone. People rhapsodize about it, croon songs about it, and get only long waiting lists for the STR Sock Club. Me? I took a look at it a LYS, and just couldn't get all excited about the yarn. The colorways didn't impress me at all. And I'm eager to be impressed when it comes to wool.

Now, Claudia Handpainted Sock Yarn, on the other hand ..... oy, that stuff is to die for, and I have the credit card receipts and attendant stash to prove it!
----------------------------------------------------------

Obsessive knitter and yarn addict. Mama to Jenna (24), Liza (our angel), David (7), Miriam (1) and EDD 3/26/07. Wife to the spectacular David, who encourages and finances my addiction. I am blessed.
knittingdoula is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-20-2007, 07:14 AM   #22
lizzitude
1st Leg of the Journey

Totally off the topic of yarn.....I too love Knit Picky - they are so nice and helpful in there. And I've had the same experience at Knit One Smock Too. I only go in there to fondle yarn in person. I would NEVER give them any of my money!

I've never used the Malabrigo, but I've knit a scarf with the Cascade 220...it's great to knit with!
  • Kitty Shawl
  • Nantucket Jacket from Interweave Knits
  • Miranda Cable Scarf
lizzitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #23
sarsnake
Casting On

I know it's old post but I felt compelled to reply. Cashmerino has 33% of microfiber which is not natural, and definetly not luxury, and certainly not worth the price Debbie Bliss charges for it. Moreover, her yarns are made in China. And who knows what quality control they have there. I personally wouldn't knit with anything that has that high content of synthetics.

But microfiber is soft. You can't really compare yarns with different contents for softness, it's like comparing apples and oranges. Wool is never going to be as soft as microfiber, neither do you want it to be. And alpaca? totally different animal.

The colorways may not be appealing to you, but the sheer fact that it's soft (for wool) 100% wool for a decent price makes it worth knitting with. Cashmerino? A crazy mix of oddball content with 1/3 cheap chinese synthetics - all that at luxury price? No thanks.
sarsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:18 AM   #24
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
I love natural, undyed Malabrigo. It's a creamy color, and extra soft for having evaded the dying process. You do have to give it a special bath and rinse prior to blocking it, if for no other reason, to remove the "earth" that is lingering in the fibers...earth that would have been mostly removed in the dye bath.

Softness used to be my primary consideration when choosing yarn for a sweater, or really any project.

These days, I chose a yarn based on its performance. For example, Black Water Abbey yarn is not soft at all. It is 'crisp'. The full soak bath and rinse prior to blocking softens the knitted pieces a lot, however, the sweater remains crisp. But you should see how well this yarn blocks! How well it holds its shape. How nicely it pops cables and other pattern stitches. No shedding. No pilling. It renders very handsome work.

But it wouldn't be my choice for children's wear, or baby wear.

Cascade 220 is a high quality, moderately priced wool...and I've knit some real beauties with it! I am always so amazed at how even my st st looks with Cascade 220. It is an excellent yarn, and I'd recommend it to anyone! It performs so well! IMHO, excellent for children and babies. I'd call it a soft wool. Not Malabrigo soft...but soft enough!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #25
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

Malabrigo is unbelievably soft. I wash it in Woolite when I'm done, by hand, then spin it out in the washing machine. I made a cap and when it touches my ears I am in raptures. I can't wait for it to get cold again so I have an excuse to wear it all the time.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote