Old 09-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #11
vaudiss
1st Leg of the Journey

silly question....is that avatar from little mermaid???? the OLD one.....not the Disney one????? it looks sooooooooooooooooooooo familiar

Hey I did it....I have an Etsy Store.... Viv's Stitches and Stuff
vaudiss is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #12
ittybittypretty
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by vaudiss View Post
silly question....is that avatar from little mermaid???? the OLD one.....not the Disney one????? it looks sooooooooooooooooooooo familiar
Haha, why yes it is. A very little known anime version from 1979. I LOVED this version when I was little (despite crying my eyes out every single time the mermaid dies and turns to sea foam). You can find boot leg dvd copies on ebay if you search for "Little Mermaid anime". or original copies of vhs (although the cover for the vhs is redrawn and only vaguely looks like my avatar-but it is the in fact the same movie-in fact I was one of the first ones to rediscover this movie about 10 years ago and put two and two together that the craptastic cover on the vhs was IN FACT the anime movie people were looking for (despite the typo on the back of the cover that listed the mermaid's name as MARIA, and not MariNa) and when I relisted the video as the ANIME version on ebay, I sold that first vhs for over a $100, and then several more for around $80!!! No joke.. haha, sorry about the tangent but that's my claim to fame. Alas, soon people caught on and now you get them for (and ripped off dvd's for about $10-12).

In any case, if you have seen the movie, I highly recommend picking yourself up a copy, it will take you way back to your childhood
ittybittypretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
AIR
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via MSN to AIR
Hi

I believe these can help

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html
http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html

For the info below you should have some idea on law consepts...

Here is the useful link (read Harper v. Nation, i.e. press Ctrl + F and in the field type Harper)
https://sites.google.com/site/nyls20...ctual-property

In essense, here are the principles:

If the activity is of commercial or for-profit nature, the activity would be presumed unfair; if the activity is not commercial and of nonprofit nature, such activity is presumptively fair

To prove the use is not fair, the copyright owner (the person or business that has copyright you want to use), i.e. challenger, must show
particular use is harmful for him:

-If the use should become widespread, it would adversely affect the potential market for the copyrighted work
-Actual present harm need not be shown
-Must demonstrate meaningful likelihood of future harm

And pertinent law:

17 USC 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include:

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Good luck!
AIR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AIR For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (10-02-2010)
Old 09-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #14
vaudiss
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by ittybittypretty View Post
Haha, why yes it is. A very little known anime version from 1979. I LOVED this version when I was little (despite crying my eyes out every single time the mermaid dies and turns to sea foam). You can find boot leg dvd copies on ebay if you search for "Little Mermaid anime". or original copies of vhs (although the cover for the vhs is redrawn and only vaguely looks like my avatar-but it is the in fact the same movie-in fact I was one of the first ones to rediscover this movie about 10 years ago and put two and two together that the craptastic cover on the vhs was IN FACT the anime movie people were looking for (despite the typo on the back of the cover that listed the mermaid's name as MARIA, and not MariNa) and when I relisted the video as the ANIME version on ebay, I sold that first vhs for over a $100, and then several more for around $80!!! No joke.. haha, sorry about the tangent but that's my claim to fame. Alas, soon people caught on and now you get them for (and ripped off dvd's for about $10-12).

In any case, if you have seen the movie, I highly recommend picking yourself up a copy, it will take you way back to your childhood
I've been looking for it for ages....I teach history and we go through the fairy tales and I torture the students w/ the mid 70's narrated version (with lovely 70's soprano folk music) and have wanted this one badly!!!!!

Hey I did it....I have an Etsy Store.... Viv's Stitches and Stuff
vaudiss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vaudiss For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (10-02-2010)