Old 09-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
luckyhull
Ribbing the Cuff

Help piecing together a sweater?
I'm wondering if anyone pieces together projects (such as sweaters) for a fee? I have everything knit, I just hate piecing together. I'm located in Upstate NY (zipcode 13159).
luckyhull is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-29-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Check a local yarn store, they may know someone who'd be willing to do it. Then learn to knit seamless sweaters, there's tons of patterns out there for them, or you can easily convert conventional patterns.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
AIR
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via MSN to AIR
Hi!

You can use sewng mashine... it will take you about 10-15min
AIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

it is really not that bad. Just start and do it.
I just had to sew up a long seam around a stuffed animal (an almost 2 foot monkey) and I just went on until I got there!

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
stmpbkrph
Casting On

Help piecing together a sweater
My LYS offers this service. Finger Lakes Fibers in Watkins Glen, might be a short road trip, but you could shop for more yarn. as long as you are there.
stmpbkrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Piecing
Hi, Lucky!

Yes, piecing can certainly be a chore but here's something that might help. Keep in mind that the most beautiful garment, tailored or knit or crocheted, can be ruined with sloppy or poorly done finishing.

A screwy hem in a designer original would never be tolerated by either the designer or the buyer since they would know how that would detract from the finished image. Professional finishing (which you can learn) enhances almost anything you'll create.

So, one of the most valuable things you can learn in your knitting is how to expertly and artistically finish your pieces. And there is a great deal of satisfaction in the process when it's part of the art form of the garment and not just another chore.

As a general rule, I wash and block the pieces of the garment I'm knitting before putting them together. They lie flatter and are far easier to work with. In the case of a sweater vest I'm working on now, I'll block the pieces of the garment first, attach them and THEN knit the neckband and armhole bands.

If you're having the piece finished by someone else, find out if that includes blocking, either of the pieces first or the finished piece afterwards. It might not include blocking at all. And blocking is one of the keys to a professional finish.

If you decide to tackle this yourself, you can get a set or two of "Alphabet Blocks" carpet tiles from Lowe's for about $16 and a set of smallest diameter stainless steel "tig rods" from a welding supply store for about the same. With these two things and some stainless steel T-pins you'll have everything you need to successfully block all sorts of wonder knits!

Please let us know how it goes for you!

Happy knitting (and finishing)

Ruthie