Old 09-20-2010, 09:10 AM   #6601
mejs22
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to mejs22
for me new!
I've never joined something like this forum and I really can't tell you just how exciting I think it will be!!!!!! I answered someone's quilting question about 15 years ago and 5 years ago she actually had the GUTS to leave her nice home in FLORIDA and come up and quilt/talk/stay with me for 3 weeks in NEW HAMPSHIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that's my kinda gal! And she is a dumpling!!!! Now, on with knitting dumplings!!!!!! I've given up the quilting that really didn't catch me very much, and I'm back to knitting!!!!! I've knitted since I was 3 years old and I'm now 63! (I keep forgetting just how "old" I am). I don't do really complicated stuff as I get bored out of my hmmmmm, but I now have a GREAT grandbaby and I plan on knitting my fingers off!!!!! She's all the way up in ALASKA!!!!! I have 3 kids and they are spread across the map! I've got a kid in FLORIDA and one in Massachusetts that I just don't hear from that much, but that's okay - she has a very busy job to keep up with.

Now, I'm working on mittens for my Alaskan GRANDchildren (3) where I use the inset thumbs (I HATE those thumbs that just stick out the sides!) and along with making them out of washable wool, I also add pieces of carded wool pieces I knit in here and there on each mitten. My grandsons lose their mittens every year as the other kids in the schools don't have any like theirs and somehow they just disappear! Oh, well. I'm thinking about just sending the pattern to my daughter up there and have her just post it on the bulletin board in the school hallways! Let the mothers knit THEIR fingers off, too!

I'm finishing up a "daisy" pattern sweater for my daughter up there and it is absolutely gorgeous (even if I do say so myself!). I usually get too bored over patterns, but this one was exciting enough to keep me going to the very end!!!!

I can't wait to hear from you! If you prefer, I'll put my e-mail name out here, too (mejs22@yahoo.com) as sometimes people prefer "silence." Take care and "I'M GLAD I FOUND YOU!"
mejs22 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #6602
kittykins
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi mejs! Welcome to KH! I'm sort of a newbie here too. Turned 65 last Dec. so have reached my "elite" Medicare status ! Like you I truly enjoying knitting. I would knit for my grandsons, but since I'm down here in TX there isn't a big need for sweaters, mittens, scarves etc. Well you are going to love it here and will find out quickly how friendly and helpful everyone is.
kittykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #6603
JammieJo123
Casting On

Hello from Illinois
Hello ladies,
My name is Joanne and I live about 40 miles Southwest of Chicago, IL with my husband and 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppies. I have been knitting about 1 month or less and am taking a beginners knitting class at our local park district. I am excited to learn how to knit and once I get the hang of it, I hope to make lots of beautiful knitted items for my family, friends and dogs. I do belong to another knitting forum on Yahoo Groups called Rachels Knitting Room and it has been interesting so far. Looking forward to hearing all about your knitting experiences and seeing any photos you post.
Joanne P.
JammieJo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #6604
mejs22
Casting On

Hey, Texan newbie!
Good to hear from you!!!! And too hot down there for knitting sweaters and things? Ha! I tried knitting a pair of COTTON socks for my son who lives in southern Florida. HE thought in northern ways and not his southern ways and figured what I had knitted was something that needed to be worn when he came up to Vermont and went skiing!!!! I told him he was really thinking haywire! I had thought of HIS heat and made him cool socks and on #1 and #2 needles. Need to tell you, I ain't doin' that again!!!! I'm lucky to deal with #5 needles for Alaskan mittens!!!!

I'm finishing up that Alaskan sweater and I have a pair of Alaskan mittens started, too. I'm preparing for Christmas!!!! I opened up a chest and found what was left over from my knitting too much, last year, for Christmas!! I have hats to sent with the mittens, too!!!!!!

Hope you're having a really happy time knitting!!!!

Shari (mejs22)

Originally Posted by kittykins View Post
Hi mejs! Welcome to KH! I'm sort of a newbie here too. Turned 65 last Dec. so have reached my "elite" Medicare status ! Like you I truly enjoying knitting. I would knit for my grandsons, but since I'm down here in TX there isn't a big need for sweaters, mittens, scarves etc. Well you are going to love it here and will find out quickly how friendly and helpful everyone is.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #6605
mejs22
Casting On

Loops!
Hey, kiddo!

I'm new to the Forum, but I've been knitting for YEARS!!!! BUT.... I just learned three years ago, how to knit in the MAGIC LOOP METHOD. Have someone teach you that and you'll throw away any other needles you might use - it keeps you from losing a needle and it helps you make things in the round (NO SEAMS!!) I think you'll enjoy it!!!!!

Happy knitting!!!!

Shari (mejs22 from New Hampshire)[

QUOTE=JammieJo123;1300775]Hello ladies,
My name is Joanne and I live about 40 miles Southwest of Chicago, IL with my husband and 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppies. I have been knitting about 1 month or less and am taking a beginners knitting class at our local park district. I am excited to learn how to knit and once I get the hang of it, I hope to make lots of beautiful knitted items for my family, friends and dogs. I do belong to another knitting forum on Yahoo Groups called Rachels Knitting Room and it has been interesting so far. Looking forward to hearing all about your knitting experiences and seeing any photos you post.
Joanne P.[/quote]
Old 09-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #6606
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
Welcome to the KH Forum everyone!

Originally Posted by mejs22 View Post
.........Now, I'm working on mittens for my Alaskan GRANDchildren (3) where I use the inset thumbs (I HATE those thumbs that just stick out the sides!) and along with making them out of washable wool, I also add pieces of carded wool pieces I knit in here and there on each mitten.......
I've seen some of those "thrummed" mittens before - they look so WARM!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:31 AM   #6607
MrKnits
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to MrKnits
Just started
Hi, just started knitting, but I'm a guy sorry.
MrKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #6608
kittykins
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi Mrknits! Welcome to KH! I'm wondering who sparked your interest in learning how to knit...wife, friend, relative? Hey you're not alone. There are some great male knitter members here. You've come to the right place for any help you might need, and you'll find you are surrounded by friends. Good luck with your knitting! Jeanie in TX
kittykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:18 PM   #6609
flyred77
Casting On

Just another Newbie
Hi there,

I am so looking forward to getting to know you and thought I would take a moment to introduce myself. A long time ago someone taught me the very basics of knitting; meaning I held 2 needles and made the basic knit stitch. Until recently, I didn't even know what "Purl" meant!

So I am getting ready to pick the needles up again and give it a try. I have crocheted on and off for over thirty years, but I feel lost when it comes to knitting. The little bit I have tried recently showed me that any muscle memory I might have built years ago is long gone. In essence I am a new to knitting.

Tomorrow I will have time to watch videos, finally! and then the questions will be coming your way!

My short term goal, is to knit my new puppy a simple sweater.

So thanks now for the post that have already been made and for those to come. I am already learning a lot!

Marietta in MO
Old 10-03-2010, 03:51 AM   #6610
DeafKnitter
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to DeafKnitter Send a message via Yahoo to DeafKnitter
My Intro
Hello everyone! My name is Brian and I'm a 23-year old guy who happens to be a newbie knitter. I am deaf, of course, but can hear well with my hearing aid but use sign language, lip reading, and speech to communicate.

I am married to my lovely wife and best friend, Laura. We've been married for almost six months now.

I am a newbie even though I've had some experience in knitting odds and ends that just went haywire and will R.I.P. (literally; they were ripped) and it's all clean slate from here.

I'm hoping to soon buy the Knit Picks Zephyr Options set and some accessories and yarn get started on some Christmas presents, not sure what I'm going to make yet, though.

Can't wait to get to know y'all.
spirit either." - Elizabeth Zimmermann
DeafKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote