Old 09-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #11
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Odd grafting...
Hi, Fran!

Here's an article in Knitting that shows how to graft seed stitch that might be helpful.

However, I'll be checking this out myself later this afternoon since it's a technique that I need to finish up one of the designs in my design your own kitchen cloths & accessories book! i THINK it's simple, simple enough that once it clicks we'll both wonder why we didn't see it immediately.

And having been a real "Wimpus Maxima" in the past, I can understand the impulse to go knit something else or (Heaven Forbid!) just frog it!

Hang in there Fran! I'll get back to you soon!

Ruthie :o)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #12
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Forgot to add article...
Hi, Fran...

Here's the Knitty article...
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer08/PATTthira.html

Oops!

Ruthie
Old 09-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #13
eyjude
Casting On

make it look like you intended to do it
with differnt dye lots just make it look like you did it on purpose.
so you start with dark ... then it changes to light.
at the bottom change back to dark (if you have any yarn left) for a few rows to make a band around the bottom and then finish with the light.

that way it will look like you made it that way!
eyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #14
bambaji
Casting On

Hi there Ruthie

Well I am that point where I need to decide what to do, have a go at grafting a 4x3 rib or just keep on knitting. Did you have a chance to look into the graft stitch? Do you think it could possibly be quite straight forward?

Your comments have been so helpful and encouraging, all the comments have been, I do look forward to hearing from you again.

Thanks

Fran
bambaji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bambaji For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (10-01-2010)
Old 10-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #15
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Hi, Fran!

I tried the 4x3 rib graft and it was a real brain cracker!!! When I looked back over the row part of it was grafted perfectly then I lost it and things went off pattern. I know that's not the look you're aiming for! :o)

So the answer seem to be that yes, it can be done (since I actually did it) but the bad news is that I can't figure out how I did the part that looked right!

I know that each stitch in a graft has to have both a knitwise and purlwise stitch treatment before it gets taken off its respective needle and I was working with that concept. I seemed to loose the pattern when the knits changed to purls.

You might want to play with it yourself using the above idea, but I'm not certain enough of it to goad you into taking scissors to your sweater!!!!!!

Please let us know what you decide!

Good luck,

Ruthie :o)
Old 10-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #16
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Yay, Amy!
HI!

Amy has answered the whole question I think. Here's a link to a thread in the pattern section that should handle the issue. So maybe you can take your scissors to that sweater after all!

You can become a "sweater surgeon" with practice!

Hope this works...

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=33240

And thanks, Amy!

Ruthie
bambaji (10-03-2010)
Old 10-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #17
bambaji
Casting On

Brilliant, thank you, I shall have a go. Isn't this forum great? I love the way that information is so freely shared. I am most grateful.

Fran
bambaji is offline   Reply With Quote