Old 10-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #6611
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Hi Brian!
welcome to the forum!

We all had some "please do not dig up ever"-knitting corpses under the bed or elsewhere... that is part of the learning experience.
But there is a lot to explore out there and I hope you will have fun with learning more and more. It challenges me every day of my knitting life (and makes sure I will not get bored).

Some videos you might find helpful for checking up on basics and learning advanced tricks and techniques are the videos of Garnstudio, a Norwegian company with a vast selection of patterns. Their videos are something like a zen-experience for me and I lately bought the green yarn they entrance me with (yes, I got hooked).
Since they need to provide the videos for a large number of language the videos themselfes are all without sound, showing just the things to do and focussing on the knitting. Written text above the videos tells you all you need to know.
Maybe that is a helpful tool because it does not make any difference in use for me or for you and you don't even need your hearing aids.
I am a visual learner translating things into my own words and rythms mostly and therefore like the "no-babling"-videos a lot.

Here is the link to the overview page there:

http://garnstudio.com/lang/en/video.php

Have fun in the forum and ask anything you like. Almost always someone will know the exact thing to do!

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hyperactive For This Useful Post:
DeafKnitter (10-04-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #6612
roseb
Casting On

loafers pattern
thanks to knittinghelp.com I AM A KNITTER
learn every thing on this site

now am looking to knit loafers ,cant fine any free pattern...any one know any
thanks
roseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #6613
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Welcome roseb! You may get more replies for your request for a pattern by posting to the Pattern Central Forum.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #6614
Jan1ce
Ribbing the Cuff

Lurking newbie
Hi, I'm a newbie to the site but have been lurking for a while. I love how everything is so well laid out and you can find help on just about everything. I've posted one or two threads and everyone has been so helpful.

My name is Jan and I live in the heart of Sherwood Forest, England, I'm 58 years young and have just acquired a beautiful grandson so the knitting needles have been dusted and the credit card has been a bit bashed about ordering the wonderful wool you can get nowadays. LOL

I am married to a wonderful husband (Steve) and have 2 wonderful sons (Mike and Dave) and of course my grandson Adam.

I had to give up work 10 years ago due to ill health and have done everything from cross stitch to card making but now I'm back to my earliest craft - knitting. My gran taught me when I was about 6 along with how to crochet.

I look forward to hearing about others and the projects they are doing and am thinking of doing some charity knitting too, there's only so many cardi's and jumpers a 1 year old can wear!!
Jan1ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:52 PM   #6615
DeafKnitter
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to DeafKnitter Send a message via Yahoo to DeafKnitter
hyperactive,

Thanks. Really enjoy reading your reply.

One of the biggest issues I have with any video is being Deaf. If there is sound or vocal audio, and no captioning, I can hear it but cannot comprehend it. Maybe it's worth a suggestion that the tutorial videos here maybe have captions or transcriptions?

As for the visual, it helps if I know what is being done/said.

Am checking out the website as I reply and I am not a green fan, but that green is gorgeous! Don't blame you for getting it.
spirit either." - Elizabeth Zimmermann
DeafKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #6616
KarenInTacoma
Casting On

Going to be newbie granny forgot to knit
Thanks for the invite, looks to be a helpful site!
Our daughter announced 4 weeks ago that she was 5 weeks pregnant, yippie as she is our only child and just turned 37.
So I just started knitting a baby blanket after 38 years of no knitting, oh dear! Getting back on the bicycle is a little ruff at 62; but got the first 15 rows of 165 sts of K1 P1 contrast done, then told to Break. Next row (WS) [I hope this means just where I left off] MC, P13. M1. *P14. M1. Rep From *to last 12 sts. P12. 176 sts.
Ok do I cut 4" of contrast color and tie a knot of main color leaving 4"and just begin with MC, P13.?????? I pretty much get the code after that, just don't want to mess up the Break business & MC.
Karen
KarenInTacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #6617
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
Originally Posted by MrKnits View Post
Hi, just started knitting, but I'm a guy sorry.
No apology necessary!
We love ALL knitters - any gender, any religion, any nationality.

Originally Posted by flyred77 View Post
......So I am getting ready to pick the needles up again and give it a try. I have crocheted on and off for over thirty years, but I feel lost when it comes to knitting.
Hi Marietta! I'm the opposite: comfortable with knitting, and just now learning to crochet. Maybe we should sit beside each other and learn together!

Originally Posted by DeafKnitter View Post
Hello everyone! My name is Brian and I'm a 23-year old guy who happens to be a newbie knitter.
Hi Brian! Welcome to the KH Forum. I hope you like it here!

Originally Posted by roseb View Post
thanks to knittinghelp.com I AM A KNITTER.............now am looking to knit loafers ,cant fine any free pattern
Welcome to the forum!
You'll find lots of knitting patterns for Slippers here:
Slipper Patterns

Originally Posted by Jan1ce View Post
Hi, I'm a newbie to the site but have been lurking for a while. I love how everything is so well laid out and you can find help on just about everything.
Hi Jan! Welcome to the KH Forum!
I'm a big fan of all the European knitting magazines. I always gravitate to them when browsing our bookstores here in the States. Maybe one day, I will come visit England! That would be so wonderful.

Originally Posted by DeafKnitter View Post
One of the biggest issues I have with any video is being Deaf. If there is sound or vocal audio, and no captioning, I can hear it but cannot comprehend it.
Thanks for the input!

Originally Posted by KarenInTacoma View Post
........I just started knitting a baby blanket after 38 years of no knitting, oh dear!.........got the first 15 rows of 165 sts of K1 P1 contrast done, then told to Break. Next row (WS) [I hope this means just where I left off] MC, P13. M1. *P14. M1. Rep From *to last 12 sts. P12. 176 sts.
Ok do I cut 4" of contrast color and tie a knot of main color leaving 4"and just begin with MC, P13.?????? I pretty much get the code after that, just don't want to mess up the Break business & MC. Karen
Hi Karen! Welcome to the KH Forum!
Yes, just start purling with the main color now. You can tie a knot if you want, and work in the ends when you finish the project. Welcome back to knitting!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #6618
avidknitter
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to avidknitter
What a surprise
Hello everyone. I was very surprised to find this site! I went looking for help with a lace pattern (my first). I don't know whether to read the odd or even rows from left to right. I am 63, married with 4 grown children and 10 grand children. I became disabled two years ago which prevented me from working, but thank God I can still knit.
Knit mostly socks, charity scarves and chemo caps for donating. Needed a challenge so I am making a shawl for my sister. If I can just get started!
I am so anxious to read about other members. Looks like a great place to lurk.
avidknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #6619
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It depends on the pattern. If you're knitting flat, the odd rows are the RS (usually) and you read the chart R to L. The even WS rows are read L to R. If you're knitting in the round all are read R to L. If you have more question about the pattern, you can post them in the How To or Pattern Central forums which more people read.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
avidknitter (10-08-2010)
Old 10-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #6620
Halias
Casting On

Another new knitter here, who's wanted to learn for years. My mother knits occasionally, and tried to teach me numerous times, but for some reason I just couldn't get it. It baffled me, as I'm a very visual learner and when someone was sitting right next to me showing me how but it still didn't click. This site did the trick, though, and I successfully knit a little dishcloth this past week and am starting the second one.

I also started crocheting this past summer as a way to stave off boredom, and have been sewing for about seven years. I just like fabric and clothes and making pretty things. I just learned about Fair Isle (well, in the "this is a knitting thing you can do" sense, instead of hearing about it for the first time ever) and it looks like something I'd like to tackle.
Halias is offline   Reply With Quote