Old 10-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Fair Isle question...
Hi!

I started preparing today to knit a cardigan sweater for my 80-year-old Godmother with Fair Isle on the top 1/3 of the piece (including the sleeves).

I'm SO brand-new to Fair Isle but got started with the Philosopher's Wool video on how to knit it with no floats, just a nice, neat woven reverse side. I made their little sample bag, worked in the round, to get accustomed to the technique. It was a lot of fun!

Here's the link if you'd like to check it out - it's excellent!
http://www.philosopherswool.com/Page...andedvideo.htm

My question is this... If you want to work Fair Isle flat, how do you handle the purl rows? Or do you just cut the yarn at the end of each knit row and re-start working the chart at the beginning of the knit row so that all the stitches are knitted?

This might sound like a very basic question but at this point it would be so helpful if someone could steer me in the right "direction"! (pun intended!!! )

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

You would turn your work and purl back across the row as usual. You can continue to work your fair isle pattern using the weaving method you mentioned to avoid long floats on the WS ... there are videos showing how to implement this technique on the purl side of your work.

Hyperactive recently made videos for both the knit and purl versions of this technique ... click here to see her video on working the purl row using this weaving technique.
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kmaclean For This Useful Post:
AngelaR (10-11-2010), Mirl56 (10-08-2010), OffJumpsJack (10-07-2010), RuthieinMaryland (10-06-2010)
Old 10-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Thanks, K! :o)

I checked out the videos and I am really grateful to her for sharing this! I knit continental so I'm sure I can pick up her left handed method although I did my practice bag holding one strand in each hand.

The question remaining is that if I'm working from a chart, on the wrong side purl row I'd work left to right as usual - correct?

Thanks again!

Ruthie
Old 10-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

Right .... on the knit rows you're working your chart from right to left and then on the purl rows you're working back across the chart from left to right.
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmaclean For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (10-07-2010)
Old 10-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

oh, I am glad that I could help! Work the rows just as if there was just one color. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

And good luck with your task!

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hyperactive For This Useful Post:
Mirl56 (10-08-2010), RuthieinMaryland (10-07-2010)
Old 10-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Thank you both so much!

Hyper, I LOVED your videos!!! I prefer the woven back rather than floats and your instructions gave me hope! The only thing I'm having to work out is keeping up with your flying fingers.

When I was learning to double knit two pieces at one time on one circular needle, one inside the other, (I made a couple of sets of leg warmers that way but haven't tackled the socks yet!) I arranged both yarns in my left hand. I can knit both English and Continental but so much prefer continental.

(NOTE: I'm pretty sure you'd be up for some "extreme knitting" so here's the one-inside-the-other article from Knitty! Just is case you haven't experienced it yet! http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html )

In working with the Fair Isle I followed the instructions from the Philosopher's Wool video and used both hands and it worked well. When I saw your video I could see how I can now switch over to holding both yarns in my left hand which is so much more comfortable for me. A few dozen more times through the video and I'm sure I'll have it down pat!!!

Again, thanks so much, both of you for your generosity! I'll post a picture of my first Fair Isle project, a purse for my grandaughter that I'll fill with Halloween Candy!

Happy Knitting,

Ruthie
Old 10-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Hi!
thanks, it is so good to hear that I have produced something useful there and not just more internet junk. The videos seem to be appreciated.
I wish I could knit with both hands (yet) and try the philosopher's wool method.

one inside the other I have not made, no. I will read the knitty article carefully and probably will do it one day. But with socks I am happily knitting one and then the other (as I am just finishing a little pink sock and want to start the next)
I guess when I will first try this I might just do 2 different color socks as in that example. But really: It is the same amount of stitches to do (yes and only half as many transitions from needle to needle, that is true)... so other than turning a godess or kicking the one-sockitis bug that does not have a grab on me right now... why? (I don't seriously want to challenge anything here... just not my main concern right now... even though....)

OffJumpsJack (10-07-2010), RuthieinMaryland (10-09-2010)
Old 10-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #8
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

I'm Also a Two Handed Fair Isle Knitter.
Ruthie,

Congratulation on knitting two handed!

Originally Posted by RuthieinMaryland View Post
Hi!

I started preparing today to knit a cardigan sweater for my 80-year-old Godmother with Fair Isle on the top 1/3 of the piece (including the sleeves).

I'm SO brand-new to Fair Isle but got started with the Philosopher's Wool video on how to knit it with no floats, just a nice, neat woven reverse side. I made their little sample bag, worked in the round, to get accustomed to the technique. It was a lot of fun!

Here's the link if you'd like to check it out - it's excellent!
http://www.philosopherswool.com/Page...andedvideo.htm

My question is this... If you want to work Fair Isle flat, how do you handle the purl rows? Or do you just cut the yarn at the end of each knit row and re-start working the chart at the beginning of the knit row so that all the stitches are knitted?

This might sound like a very basic question but at this point it would be so helpful if someone could steer me in the right "direction"! (pun intended!!! )
Originally Posted by kmaclean View Post
You would turn your work and purl back across the row as usual. You can continue to work your fair isle pattern using the weaving method you mentioned to avoid long floats on the WS ... there are videos showing how to implement this technique on the purl side of your work.

Hyperactive recently made videos for both the knit and purl versions of this technique ... click here to see her video on working the purl row using this weaving technique.
Originally Posted by RuthieinMaryland View Post
Thank you both so much!

Hyper, I LOVED your videos!!! I prefer the woven back rather than floats and your instructions gave me hope! The only thing I'm having to work out is keeping up with your flying fingers.

When I was learning to double knit two pieces at one time on one circular needle, one inside the other, (I made a couple of sets of leg warmers that way but haven't tackled the socks yet!) I arranged both yarns in my left hand. I can knit both English and Continental but so much prefer continental.

(NOTE: I'm pretty sure you'd be up for some "extreme knitting" so here's the one-inside-the-other article from Knitty! Just is case you haven't experienced it yet! http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html )

In working with the Fair Isle I followed the instructions from the Philosopher's Wool video and used both hands and it worked well. When I saw your video I could see how I can now switch over to holding both yarns in my left hand which is so much more comfortable for me. A few dozen more times through the video and I'm sure I'll have it down pat!!!

Again, thanks so much, both of you for your generosity! I'll post a picture of my first Fair Isle project, a purse for my grandaughter that I'll fill with Halloween Candy!

Happy Knitting,

Ruthie

Some time ago I did a (thin) pot holder in two handed fair isle following the same video you linked. I soon learned all four knit stitches but being a stubborn male I decided I would try knitting backwards so I wouldn't need to turn the work or purl.

(Amy mentions Backwards Knitting here in the knitting videos on this site.)

Ah, I saw it as a challenge to teach myself to knit left handed (working stitches off the right needle and on to the left). But I neglected to watch how the loops wrapped crossed the needle and so I twisted every stitch on the knit-backwards rows.

<Front> ~~~ <Back>
by Off Jumps Jack, on Flickr

That project has remained unfinished, so I was keen to read what answer(s) you may have received. Hyperactive can sure knit fast! So now I'll pull out that old UFO and start the second side knit flat and purling the WS rows. I am sure it will just be a matter of figuring out the purl of (knit 1) knit 2, etc. and at some point we will find ourselves...
Quote:
"pretend" wrap with left yarn, wrap with right yarn, then "unpretend" with left yarn and pull through!
(paraphrased)

LOL If I get time to try it out and also figure out how to post a video on my flickr page then I'll let you see (I hope) how to purl two handed fair isle. Good luck to both of us.

And a thank you to Hyperactive for the video and to K for pointing it out.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.

Last edited by OffJumpsJack : 10-08-2010 at 12:41 AM. Reason: I hope to add an image.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OffJumpsJack For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (10-09-2010)
Old 10-08-2010, 04:05 AM   #9
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

hihi!
I still want to try to sucessfully knit backwards but I do also make twisted knit stitches then (well, at least they are knit stitches, aren't they? I just knit them through the back loop then).

Quote:
Hyperactive can sure knit fast!
What do you think how fast I knit with just one color
But I saw the videos about the worlds fastest knitters and those ladies are a good bit faster than I am (but I am closing in - no, I am not).

I am really glad my videos seem to be helpful to so many people. I will make videos about other knitting things I am always asked about, soon, I mean, as soon as I get to it. But it will happen. And I will let you know.
Have fun with that pot holder! (cotton? Most likely. Harder knitting, that is for sure!)

Mirl56 (10-08-2010), RuthieinMaryland (10-09-2010)
Old 10-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #10
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

About backwards knitting...
Hi!

Hey, Jack!

I taught myself "reverse knitting and purling" when starting to learn the entrelac technique. It is AMAZING how easy that made entrelac, and I've used it since in other techniques whenever it was more comfortable than turning the piece. But I did a couple of large practice pieces first. It does take some getting used to if you want to work it effortlessly. Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Knitting has a section on it that was helpful and you can find some examples on You Tube.

This is the best of the videos I found since it shows how to work in reverse when you want the knit stitches on the front AND when you want the purl bumps in front. Both are essential for Stockinette entrelac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdDEl...eature=related

However, I think Hyper's videos illustrate working the purl side in Fair Isle most effectively. I don't know that I cold wrap my wits around working backwards AND trying to weave in the floats! Holy-Moley!

And hyper - your videos are SO helpful. I really appreciate them. The only thing I'd ask is that in future videos s......l.......o......w down a bit! The people watching them want to learn something and it's so hard when the technique is a blur!!! (Gosh you're fast!!!)

As far as the extreme knitting - I really had fun learning it and found it challenging enough that it kept me happily knitting several sets of leg warmers without any boredom! When I've gotten through my projected Fair Isle projects I'm sure I'll go back and try out the one-sock-inside-the-other technique for socks so I can learn the shaping.

Meanwhile, happy knitting everyone!

Ruthie
OffJumpsJack (10-12-2010)