Old 10-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
luvmykid28
Turning the Heel

Teaching my 1st Class
A couple of months ago I was asked the teach by the owners of the local craft store. I learned to knit there 2 years ago and have since started a knitting group that meets twice a month there.

Last night I started teaching my 1st class. We will meet weekly for 4 weeks, 2 hours at a time. I had 6 students and they were total newbies and they were great. I started out with a bit of info regarding yarn, needles, notions, basic lingo, knittinghelp.com, ravlery and some helpful books. Then, we jumped in and they learned to cable CO and work the knit st. They were awesome. (I was so nervous. I have taught several of my friends to knit, so I knew I could do it.) I worried that teaching a group would be difficult. I had a friend there to help me out so that no one would be left waiting if someone needed a little more attention. Everyone learned at different paces so I was pretty much able to give each some time.

They went home to practice there knit st and next week I'll teach them to BO and work the purl st. Then they will start there 1st project, a small coin purse worked in garter st and sewn up the sides. I felt like making a scarf can get discouraging with the length. (When I started I wanted instant gratification.)

I plan for them to work on at least 3, maybe 4 small projects. That way they will feel like they've done something and they can see how the k and p work together to make different st patterns.

After the students left the shop owner told me I did a great job and that my introduction was fantastic. She said she even learned some new things about yarn.

I love the spread the love of knitting. I can't wait til next week.

I have three passions:
1. My husband
2. My daughter
3. Knitting
Everything else can wait.
luvmykid28 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
That's awesome, congratulations!

I agree about instant gratification. I felt the same way when I started. If you're going to teach simple increases and decreases a two needle hat is a good project, too.

I linked to a page of business cards for KH if you'd like to print them on card stock and hand them out. I use them all the time and my LYS even asked for some for the store.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/images/b...romo-cards.pdf

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
luvmykid28 (10-06-2010)
Old 10-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

Congratulations on having such a great first teaching experience ... it sounds like your students are lucky to have such a great instructor!

I definitely agree with your approach to the first few projects ... small is the way to go! It sounds like you were able to provide some great background information and resources for them to continue learning on their own time between classes as well ... keep up the good work!
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmaclean For This Useful Post:
luvmykid28 (10-06-2010)
Old 10-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
luvmykid28
Turning the Heel

Spreading the word that KH ROCKS!!!
Yes, Jan I will think I will teach the hat you suggested for final class. I think maybe if the class wants to continue into next month I will teach them in to work in the round. Hats are always nice. I remember my 1st hat in the round. I will so proud of myself, even though it was a little too small for DH. He still really tried to wear it. That year I made everyone hats for Christmas.

I love to spread the word of KH. If I hadn't found this site and all the wonderfully helpful and encouraging folks here, I probably wouldn't have had as much confidence to keep knitting or teach. I will print out the cards you posted and put them up at the store.

Thanks for the continued encouragement. I will keep you posted on our success.

I have three passions:
1. My husband
2. My daughter
3. Knitting
Everything else can wait.
luvmykid28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

it sounds like great experience and your shop will profit as much as the new knitters. But it seems you profit well, too. Small project for yourself!

Wristwarmers (knit flat or in the round) are a great small but very usefull thing.
I am thinking of making striped ones for my brothers girlfriend (or maybe with selfstriping yarn) that are just garter stitch and knit "wrong way around" so the garter stretch works out as "ribbing replacement". Being me I will probably do a thumb hole and a provisional cast on with kitchener stitch for the bottom, but you could do them as quick and straight up for your group. Just knit stitch in the width desired. Bind off after correct length and sew up. Then comes the success and then the learning experience: Make a second one as identical as possible! *hihi*
easy project they can already do with their skill but you can add the optional stripes or stitch pattern.

I would not do one in st st entirely because it would not have the stretch but you could do one with stripes of st st in garter...

I love thinking of easy projects to make that you can teach anyone in no time. That's because I agree: you need to start small and see that you can really do it all. Then you get to bigger projects all on your own.
(with hat, wristwarmers and maybe a scarf (that they can do if they feel like it) you have a full winter set and they will all look different, depending on needle and yarn choice and the like.

Keep up the good spirit and make them happy with that class! You just created new fellow knitters!

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hyperactive For This Useful Post:
luvmykid28 (10-08-2010)
Old 10-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Congratulations! It sounds like a Home Run to me!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote