Old 10-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

Online Yarn Shopping
As you can probably tell from my profile, I'm from Canada. There are very few local places for me to buy yarn ... there's a Michael's not too far from me, but they have a terrible selection, and there are a few LYS's in the city but none are nearby (it takes me a minimum of 45 minutes of driving in bumper to bumper traffic to get to the closest one ).

So, needless to say, I like to do a lot of my shopping online. I don't mind doing this, but I find that most of the major online yarn sites that I've seen ship out of the USA (not a big surprise). Still, I wouldn't mind paying the USD/CAD exchange ... my issue is the shipping! Does anyone else find that the shipping costs that these places charge are absolutely exhorbitant?? And that's not even counting the extra duty charges that I'll undoubtedly be slapped with when my package arrives ...

A few skeins of yarn are not very big or heavy ... why is it costing me so much to have it shipped? My last order totalled about $60 worth of yarn, and the shipping was $32!! Your total shouldn't go up by more than 50% when they add the shipping.

Anyways, the point of my longish rant is this: has anyone come across any decent websites for purchasing yarn where there are reasonable shipping costs? I guess this is sort of directed at those who typically ship their orders outside of the continental US, but I'll take all the suggestions I can get!
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Elann.com is in Canada so you're good there. Knitpicks.com will ship to canada, I'm not sure how much postage and duty would be.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
kmaclean (10-24-2010)
Old 10-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

I do like KnitPicks ... while they do ship from the USA, their prices are very reasonable and I've never had to pay any extra duty charges for packages from them. It would just be nice if I had other shopping options as well so that I could get a variety of yarns!

I'll have to check out Elann.com ... having a Canadian shopping option would be great!

For most sites it's not an issue of whether they will ship to Canada, it's how much they charge to do it.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
JudyD
Turning the Heel

I came across this website for a yarn shop in St. John's, New Foundland, which has a very nice selection of yarns. Prices are pretty much in keeping with US.

http://www.wooltrends.ca/

Judy

Last edited by JudyD : 10-22-2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: typo
JudyD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JudyD For This Useful Post:
kmaclean (10-22-2010)
Old 10-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
There's a couple other Canadian sites though I can't remember the names now. If you check the Yarn forum at Ravelry and search for 'canada' or 'canadian' That could be a good way to find more.

Ahhh, just remembered one - Yarnforward is in Canada and does have 'name' brands. They do charge sales tax and I think their rates may be higher than elann's, but if there's something you're absolutely dying for.... They do have a sale page.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
kmaclean (10-22-2010)
Old 10-22-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
I agree...shipping can be a b#$^@ sometimes...

I still say, if you are on Queen near Bathurst...stop into Romni

If you are in Kitchener, you can hit Herrschners

If you are in Paris, you can swing though Mary Maxim

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crycket For This Useful Post:
kmaclean (10-22-2010)
Old 10-22-2010, 11:22 PM   #7
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Crycket: I do like Romni Wools, but it is a bit of a trekk for me to make it down there ... I have to have at least a full afternoon free :(
Old 10-24-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

I don't have any LYS within 100 miles of where I live, so I am almost completely dependent on online shopping since the three craft stores here are geared almost completely to scrapbooking. (No, I still don't get it).

I love KnitPicks, and their catalogs. Their prices are very comparable even with shipping tacked on. However, I tend to try to go directly to the manufacturer of the yarn. Most of the websites I've been to allow you to buy directly from them, so you cut out a lot of the markup when you shop retail. Plus, you get good deals on patterns that way. Lyon Brand and Premier are fantastic at that sort of thing.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AngelaR For This Useful Post:
kmaclean (10-24-2010)