Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

Online Yarn Shopping
As you can probably tell from my profile, I'm from Canada. There are very few local places for me to buy yarn ... there's a Michael's not too far from me, but they have a terrible selection, and there are a few LYS's in the city but none are nearby (it takes me a minimum of 45 minutes of driving in bumper to bumper traffic to get to the closest one ).

So, needless to say, I like to do a lot of my shopping online. I don't mind doing this, but I find that most of the major online yarn sites that I've seen ship out of the USA (not a big surprise). Still, I wouldn't mind paying the USD/CAD exchange ... my issue is the shipping! Does anyone else find that the shipping costs that these places charge are absolutely exhorbitant?? And that's not even counting the extra duty charges that I'll undoubtedly be slapped with when my package arrives ...

A few skeins of yarn are not very big or heavy ... why is it costing me so much to have it shipped? My last order totalled about $60 worth of yarn, and the shipping was $32!! Your total shouldn't go up by more than 50% when they add the shipping.

Anyways, the point of my longish rant is this: has anyone come across any decent websites for purchasing yarn where there are reasonable shipping costs? I guess this is sort of directed at those who typically ship their orders outside of the continental US, but I'll take all the suggestions I can get!
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote