Old 10-29-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
Barelysanelately
Casting On

Looking for help with pattern
Hoping someone has the answer for me. I am trying to knit the pattern- Fancy Chevron that I found in the book- Second Treasury of knitting, it is on page 80.

It says to cast on 26 +3 but when you knit the stiches it says to knit on row one they do not add up to the right amount. Does anyone know if it is a typo or if I need to do something different to make it work?

First Row of pattern- With B, K9, *sl2, k7, sl2, k15* rep from *, end last repeat k9

row = 44 stiches not 26 + 3

Thanks
Barelysanelately is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-29-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Hi!
are there no instructions before that row 1? Sometimes it may say: work in stochinette stitch increasing like ... and then you get to row 1? Because... I do not get it, either.
Or maybe you have to cast on a multiple of 26 + 3 stitches?

I mean: This section alone has 26 stitches:
*sl2, k7, sl2, k15* rep from *

and that gets repeated... so the repeat is 52 stitches, then another 18 on the sides.... that makes 70 in my eyes, not 44. Or am I totally wrong?
Maybe someone with the book at hand can help?

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
Barelysanelately
Casting On

It does say multiple of 26 sts plus 3 and the you just purl one row after cast on. No increases or anything. So when it says multiple do you add the plus 3 for every amount you cast on? But how would you get it to be right?
Originally Posted by hyperactive View Post
Hi!
are there no instructions before that row 1? Sometimes it may say: work in stochinette stitch increasing like ... and then you get to row 1? Because... I do not get it, either.
Or maybe you have to cast on a multiple of 26 + 3 stitches?

I mean: This section alone has 26 stitches:
*sl2, k7, sl2, k15* rep from *

and that gets repeated... so the repeat is 52 stitches, then another 18 on the sides.... that makes 70 in my eyes, not 44. Or am I totally wrong?
Maybe someone with the book at hand can help?
Old 10-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
A multiple is how many sts are in just the stitch pattern, so you would multiply the 26 times how many repeats and add 3 more. So it could be 55 (26x2+3) sts or 81 (26x3+3), or 107, etc for the pattern. The 9 sts at the beg and end are edge sts that aren't repeated.

This is just for a stitch pattern only, if you just wanted a scarf you would do one repeat of 26+3 plus 4 or 6 more for edge sts. For something wider, see above.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Barelysanelately
Casting On

Okay so here is the first part of the pattern I am trying to do. The first two rows do not work with the cast on amount but when you get to the third row it does. So how would I fix this or do to make the first rows work right? Thanks

Fancy Chevron

Multiple of 26 sts plus 3. Colors A and B.

Cast on with A and purl one row.

Note: On all right-side rows, sl all sl-sts with yarn in back. On all wrong-side rows, sl all sl-sts with yarn in front.

Row 1 (Right side)-With B, k9, * sl 2, k7, sl 2, k15: rep from *, end last repeat k9.

Row 2- With B, k9, * sl 2, p7, sl 2, k15; rep from *, end last repeat k9.

Row 3- With A, k2, * (sl 1, k1) twice, sl 1, k4, sl 2, k3, sl 2, k4, (sl 1, k1) 3 times; rep from *, end k1
Old 10-29-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I think what "end last repeat k9." means is that the last time you repeat it, you knit 9 instead of 15

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
Barelysanelately
Casting On

Thank you, that would make the numbers add up right. I am on my way to give it a try. Thanks again
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
I think what "end last repeat k9." means is that the last time you repeat it, you knit 9 instead of 15