Old 08-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
Loopdeloop
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
OR just stay here and ask your questions! We are always nice and friendly! Use Rav for patterns and yarn searches.

I intend to stay here!

Everyone's really nice and has been very patient. I'm sure there are good places on Ravelry, too, just haven't poked around there as much as here.

I do like the pattern search and the stash feature there. But you guys rock my knitting world!
Loopdeloop is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #12
Krystal
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
OR just stay here and ask your questions! We are always nice and friendly! Use Rav for patterns and yarn searches.

Yes this! I love getting lost on ravelry looking at patterns and yarns but this is where I come when I have a question. I don't care for the forum set up on ravelry and find it very confusing actually. Here everything is pretty neatly organized and there's lots of regulars.

I think comparing it to a convention is a perfect example. LOTS of yarns and patterns to ogle, and lots of people to cross paths with but because there is so much it's impossible to carry on a good conversation or get detailed help... so you come back home your local yarn store at KH and get the help you need.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
We're something like your local yarn shop where you can sit down and chat and feel comfortable, while Ravelry is more like a convention. You do meet people there, including well known pattern designers, and chat with them, but it's huge.

I Love, Love, Love that! Perfecto, Suzeeq!
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:34 PM   #14
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Yes, Suz, that is a perfect comparison, and why I'm here a lot more. Go to Rav maybe once a month or so.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #15
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

can't live a day without at least eavesdropping here.

The analogy that Rav's more like a convention really works for me. I tend to be the quiet, stick to myself type (until you get to know me! then, I won't shut up!) I get lost and overwhelmed by the "too much" of it all. Here at least, I can sort things out better, and communicate when I feel like I have something to share.

I'm so glad for this place! It makes my day! consistently!!
Old 09-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #16
deeklaver
Casting On

Originally Posted by N0obKnitter View Post
I vastly prefer the format of this message board to the one Rav uses, this is much easier to use and makes more sense to my brain/eyeballs.
i just found here today,, but I definately like the forums here. I feel very comfortable here.
deeklaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #17
GothCrone
Casting On

I am new here....glad to have found KnittingHelp.com.

I have been on Ravelry for several years and really like it very much. I love the different interest groups and yes, the Newer Knitters forum/group is very friendly - I have not ever seen anyone be anything but helpful to posts in that forum.

I also love the Notebook/Projects/Stash tracking and I use that extensively.

Anyway- glad to be here too! This seems like a very nice website and forum.
GothCrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:22 AM   #18
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by GothCrone View Post
I also love the Notebook/Projects/Stash tracking and I use that extensively.
Same here! Another feature I use extensively is my QUEUE feature! When I 'queue' a project...I can 'pair it' with a yarn in my Stash by using the edit feature (the pencil icon) of the queued item. The by clicking 'use stash' I can view a list of my stash, hit ok, and it's 'paired'. Now the double bonus is when I revisit my Stash...and click on any yarn...it will tell me what queued project the yarn is paired with! Sometimes you forget what you were gonna use a yarn for!

Anyway, I mostly use Rav to assist me in my knitting...projects, stash, patterns, help with projects by reading the notes shared by dozens (or maybe hundreds) of other knitters when THEY knit it. That is one of the greatest tools! When you look up, or begin, a project you can see how many other knitters are knitting it, too...or much of the time have finished it! Hardly anyone ever uses the signature yarn of the model...so you can see how different yarns make it look! That information is invaluable. Plus, many knitters (in their own project notes) share their modifications, perhaps their problems and what they wish they'd done differently. I always take care to read every note made by all those who blazed the trail. It helps me in avoiding pitfalls and derailing!

Anyway, I will agree...KH is a great forum for HELP, and warm friendship! Everyone knows everyone else, and cares about you!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:44 PM   #19
yarnrainbow
1st Leg of the Journey

I agree with the convention vs. LYS analogy. I love KH and Rav for different reasons. KH provides info, tips, companionship, etc. while Rav is a great place to document your stash, look up patterns, and something I do often...get inspiration by looking at other peoples' projects. I love to walk through other folks projects (like ArtLady1981's) as they inspire me to broaden my knitting project horizons, work on my techniques (like blocking), and explore yarn/project combinations. And the comments on patterns from others who have used the pattern are incredibly useful. Also, as I have limited ability to move around, having my stash recorded is a blessing...for both me and my family as I no longer have to say "run and get my yarn boxes" several times a week because I can't remember what I have in my stash!