Old 11-04-2010, 03:25 AM   #1
Knitcracker
Casting On

Provisional Cast-On
Hello all,

I am attempting to knit a sock pattern here http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns2/s...ring-sock.html
It calls for a provisional cast-on, which gives a link to instructions here http://www.pagebypage.com/provisional.php#creating

Has anyone done this cast-on before? Does it do the same function as KnittingHelp's provisional / invisible cast on?

I guess these are the questions I have just now--probably more to come later. Maybe I'm biting off more than I can chew...lol

Thanks a bazillion
KC
Knitcracker is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-04-2010, 04:56 AM   #2
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Hi!
that is a variety of my favorite provisional cast on (I also use it as regular cast on some times).

you can pretty much use any other provisional cast on, though.

The intention of a cast on is to create stitches (loops) on the needle that can be knit off. In a provisional cast on that original row of loops will disappear later and be replaced with something else. (more knitting, a pretty bind off, grafting, or anything you can think of, really).

So it is of very little importance what method of provisional cast on you use... it will disappear eventually.

Just go ahead and learn that method - or use any other and have fun with your sock.

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Knitcracker
Casting On

Thank you very much for your insight. I'm still very green when it comes to knitting. I only learned summer 2009 or so and that was from watching the fab videos on Knitting Help. I got a couple of tips form my mother in law but that was all.

Ok I'm babbling. Thanks a whole bunch!
KC

Originally Posted by hyperactive View Post
Hi!
that is a variety of my favorite provisional cast on (I also use it as regular cast on some times).

you can pretty much use any other provisional cast on, though.

The intention of a cast on is to create stitches (loops) on the needle that can be knit off. In a provisional cast on that original row of loops will disappear later and be replaced with something else. (more knitting, a pretty bind off, grafting, or anything you can think of, really).

So it is of very little importance what method of provisional cast on you use... it will disappear eventually.

Just go ahead and learn that method - or use any other and have fun with your sock.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,807 Times in 7,166 Posts
I usually knit about 3 rows of stockinette in a smooth, different colored yarn and then start knitting with my project yarn OR I use the crochet cast on.
http://www.knittingatnoon.com/provisional.html

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
I know this is slightly off-topic, but I have yet to master the art of provisionally casting on, be it for socks, lace shawls, etc. I manage to fudge it typically, but it just never works right for me and I get frustrated and cranky LOL

That being said, if you plan on doing a lot of toe-up socks, I *highly* recommend learning Judy's Magic Cast-On. It's the one I use when I teach sock classes, and everyone loves it and I love the toe it creates.

Not answering your question at all, just sharing an opinion, feel free to ignore me. Enjoy your socks!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
Knitcracker
Casting On

No worries,

I did the provisional cast on all reight but the next steps are confusing. I am trying it all on regular yarn to make sure I understand the pattern before I use the good stuff...lol Also, I'm an easy going kind of gal. I like lots of recommendations and just general chit chat too.

Thanks a bunch for the info. I will check it out and learn it.

Have a wonderful weekend!
KC

Originally Posted by boyforpele13 View Post
I know this is slightly off-topic, but I have yet to master the art of provisionally casting on, be it for socks, lace shawls, etc. I manage to fudge it typically, but it just never works right for me and I get frustrated and cranky LOL

That being said, if you plan on doing a lot of toe-up socks, I *highly* recommend learning Judy's Magic Cast-On. It's the one I use when I teach sock classes, and everyone loves it and I love the toe it creates.

Not answering your question at all, just sharing an opinion, feel free to ignore me. Enjoy your socks!