Old 11-07-2010, 02:53 AM   #1
aimlessly
Casting On

Send a message via MSN to aimlessly Send a message via Yahoo to aimlessly
Bounce Hat
I want to make the Bounce hat that's listed there (it's a pdf, the website doesn't have the pattern up) but I don't have 10.5 circulars, only 10. I couldn't find 10.5 with a 16" cord :( Will it make that much of a difference?

Also at one point it says, "At this point you will stop working in the round. Begin working back and forth." How do I do that on circulars? I'm so so new to knitting (I'm a hooker!) and this is just Greek to me.

I'm thinking maybe this isn't the best thing for a beginner but I love it. Thanks!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-07-2010, 03:08 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
It may make it slightly smaller, but knitting stretches so it will probably be fine.

Go to the video section and click on advanced techniques. There are instructions there.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:20 AM   #3
aimlessly
Casting On

Send a message via MSN to aimlessly Send a message via Yahoo to aimlessly
Thank you.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by aimlessly View Post
Also at one point it says, "At this point you will stop working in the round. Begin working back and forth." How do I do that on circulars? I'm so so new to knitting (I'm a hooker!) and this is just Greek to me.
With the shape of that hat, I don't think the half-size will make much, if any, difference.

As for the "stop working in round", it's just like crochet instructions--they have you work in rows instead of rounds (I have NO idea why, because you end up sewing a seam.) All you have to do is pretend you have two straight needles in your hands and forget they're's a cord. Just don't ch1 when you turn :D Most of us use circulars for a whole lot of projects because it's easier to carry them than straights and harder to lose one needle!
Old 11-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
10s will make a smaller st, but you may be okay, some people need to use smaller or larger needles to get a stitch gauge.

To work flat, you just turn at the end of R 1, the knit round, and work R 2 back over the same sts on the WS. Then turn and repeat row 2 on the RS, turn and repeat on the WS, etc. You work flat because of the stitch pattern.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Make what you love...
Hi!

What a super project! It's beautiful and looks like it will be fun to wear, too!

There are so many terrific resources on here with the how-to videos and the wonderful folks who will get you sorted out with your techniques, even if you are a pure beginning knitter! They're very generous and extremely knowledgeable so you've come to the right place.

I just wanted to share with you that some of the most important things I've learned, in knitting and in life, came from pursuing something I had a real passion for. I simply HAD to learn what I needed to know if I wanted that particular result so I was willing to stretch to get it.

So go for it, girl!

Knit what you love!

Happy knitting, and learning....

Ruthie