Old 10-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
FeliksHetalia
Casting On

Twisting colors
I have been told that if you are working patterns with multiple colors that you should "twist the next color yarn around the one you are working with." This is supposed to avoid holes in the work. Well, I am working that sort of pattern and already have multiple holes. I am sure that I am not "twisting" the next color, but I don't really know what that means! I have tried it in places, but I obviously only do it correctly sometimes, because in places there are holes and in others there are no holes. Thank you in advance!
FeliksHetalia is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-18-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

When you are switching colors, always hold the color that you are done with over to the left, on top of the color that you are switching to. If you do this at every change, the yarn will automatically twist on the next row.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
FeliksHetalia (10-18-2010)
Old 10-18-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
FeliksHetalia
Casting On

Fixing Holes
Also, how would you fix the holes? It seems to me like I have fairly successfully 'cast off' those bits. So, would I just stitch them up? It is a very thin piece. (a stocking for my brother in-law)
Old 10-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
The holes won't run--the two colors are secure but not attached to each other side-to-side. You can stitch them up.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
LeanaB
Casting On

Twisting colors
I started an image sweater and abandoned it due to this issue. I found help at my quilt/yarn shop in the "Big Book of Knitting by Vogue". To eliminate holes on a Vertical change the old color goes OVER and the new UP from underneath. Diagonal right change on K or left on P the new goes OVER top of old. Diagonal right change on K or left on P new goes UNDER the old. I got it a couple of rows and then got disgusted with all the separate balls for each color. Good luck with this!
LeanaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
"Twisting" the yarn...
Hi!

This might be helpful.....

In the following video you'll find instructions for doing Fair Isle (two colors) but without the floats - the yarn is handled in such a way that it is woven into the back of the fabric.

From your query, it seems to me that the techniques shown in this video, particularly stitches #3 & #4, might solve the "twisting" problem you're having. Without practice this might seem complex but I found it very learnable with some practice.

http://www.philosopherswool.com/Page...andedvideo.htm

Please let us know if you find this has use in your project. Apparently it's a big issue for other knitters and hopefully this will solve that dilemma!

Happy Knitting,

Ruthie
Old 11-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
FeliksHetalia
Casting On

Thank you everyone!!!!!!!!
I have (thank goodness) figured it out! I watched the video, and I think I get the idea from that, but it isn't the style I was doing. I carry across the back, as the stocking won't have to be worn. I think that it really should (sorry for suggesting it) have a video on the site. I know that multiple people told me to twist the colors, but I never saw how to. Of course, that is coming from a VERY visual learner. Thanks for all the help, and late last night I turned the heel! ( I finished the pattern with NO MORE TROUBLE with holes or twisting!)
Old 11-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Ah!
the confusion came from the difference of Fair Ilse knitting and intarsia. I thought you were doing intarsia(every field of color has its own ball of yarn, nothing is carried) and really you are doing Fair Ilse or stranded knitting.
I am currently doing a lot of stranded knitting and here is how I do it:

My blog with video link

If you are able to knit Continental as well as English Style, the Philosopher's wool video will help you a lot, as well!

Congrats on turning the heel!

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hyperactive For This Useful Post:
AngelaR (11-14-2010)
Old 11-14-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

Well, this was definitely an "OMG!" moment for me. I've been doing colors all wrong (thanks to books that don't explain it half so well) and those videos made everything click in place for me. Thank you soooooo much. I had pretty much given up ever doing colors in the round again, but now I know I can do it.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote