Old 11-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Knitting Daily DVD's...new information!
Oh my!

I recently purchased the Knitting Daily DVD set from our own Knitting Help Store! I spent this past Fri evening (and Saturday) watching all of Series 100 (the 2008 shows) and most of Series 200 (also 2008 shows)...and I'VE GOT TO SHARE THIS:

I have learned so much from these shows that my head is going to explode!

I even learned new things about sweater knitting; special information about stranded knitting; learned about different yarns and fibers...but MOST IMPORTANT...I got a working knowledge of MYSTERY techniques...that before this, I knew absolutely nothing!

Such as what??? Well...Spinning fiber, using either a spinning wheel or a drop spindle. Weaving, using yarn or plastic bags! And Needle Felting! And "Dying" your own yarn! Spinning, weaving, needle felting, dying yarn...are all techniques (before Knitting Daily) that scared the #$^% out of me. Total MYSTERIES! They were SPECIAL CLUBS that I didn't belong to!

I'm on my way over to Knit Picks now...to purchase a needle felter gadget and some fiber samples! To make the coolest, felted asymmetrical flowers and leaves to accessorize my sweaters and cloches!

Anyway, just when ya think ya might know it all (yeah right!)...you can learn something new!

I highly recommend these DVD's. (Lucky you, if you live in an area that receives the Knitting Daily show on TV!) The $39.95 spent on Series 100 (4 DVD set and 6hrs) is more valuable than any class I ever took! And I could watch certain segments over and over and over, which I did.

Learned several new "Bags and Totes" techniques, too. The hosts (4) of the show have different guests on, to explain certain things within their specific expertise! The Hosts also go out 'on location' once in a while, in Series 200, to interview designers in person! I feel like I have "met" the designers! Norah Gaughan was a BIG SURPRISE! She wasn't anything like I visualized her to be! I'm a big fan of her work, and remain so!

And the lady from WEBS comes on regularly to talk about different yarns and their qualities! One of the hosts is a crochet expert, and although a nice amount of time is given to crochet, the show is called Knitting Daily...and it's mostly about knitting. But it didn't hurt me to learn new things about crochet!

I learned about VICUNA yarn. From the little South American critter of the high mountains.
As you may know, Jacques Cartier is an operation that converts the raw Vicuna fiber into yarn! Many of the finest fibers in the world pass through his facility.

Wanna hear something totally outrageous!? Vicuna is the RAREST (and expensive) yarn in the WORLD. I found some at Paradise Fibers.net One ball is 218 yds...fingering weight of course, and the price tag is $299.95!

Whereas Qiviut is just $90 for 217 yds!

On Knitting Daily, the WEBS lady shared the little ball of Vicuna yarn (a caramel, natural color)...and an entire long sleeved, cabled VICUNA sweater. She related that triple strands were necessary.

Using my sweater knowledge...I estimated that the sweater used no less than 17 balls of Vicuna...for a price-tag of $5,100...maybe more if I underestimated the yardage!

So THAT is a fiber I'll never own...along with Qiviut...but it was nice to LEARN ABOUT IT!

Vicuna is more rare than Qiviut or the finest Cashmere. Oh, and I also learned that it's Qiviut in the US...and it's called Qiviuk in Canada! FINALLY learned the difference! I never understood that.

Well, please excuse me, I must go out and finish Series 200...and put in Series 300...and work on re-knitting the hood on my Basic Black Hoodie. The sweater fits me now...but the hood is a monstrosity. Way too big. I ripped the whole thing down yesterday, and started again from the neckline picked-up stitches. Learned my lessons about hoods in the knitting of my recent project, the Faery Ring Hoodie. Oy vey!I could just shoot myself sometimes.

Oh BTW...for my Knitting Daily DVD's...I used the money I'd saved for classes at our Madrona Winter Retreat here in the Pacific Northwest. It's held in February, and it's like a Stitches event. I'm telling you...classes are so expensive...$145 for a 6hr workshop...or $85 for 3 hrs. I'm so leery of spending money on classes. I've been burned so many times. The 'teacher' can be a good knitter, a great designer...but not-so-good as a teacher.

Anyway...my Knitting Daily Series have already given me so much I can hardly process it all! But wait! I can watch them over and over and over! Haven't you ever spent money on a CLASS somewhere, and wished you could have a DO-OVER? Like, being able to take the class again, but for free the next time?

I'm prolly the last person here at KH to learn about Knitting Daily! About it's unsurpassed value! And ALL of the projects featured in the shows are FREE on their website! So I've already downloaded several, and one is this simple, adorable coat! It's in my Ravelry Queue, and 'pairedwithyarn'!

The Manchester Jacket!

This is a woven bag made from recycled PLASTIC BAGS! Can you believe it! Series 200, episode 209!

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 11-16-2010 at 03:22 PM.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
hyperactive (11-19-2010), Jan in CA (11-15-2010), knit2btied (11-15-2010), Mirl56 (11-16-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
sheldon
KH Geek
Site Admin

Thanked 1,479 Times in 528 Posts
Thanks for the great review. Amy and I haven't watch any of the series yet, but we do know they are quite popular. It's great to read your review supporting that.

I just wanted to let KH'ers know that I just put the KDTV DVD's on sale for the week:

http://knittinghelp.com/shop/t/categ...itting-cds-dvd
(scroll to the bottom)

I only have 2 of each series left in stock, so I don't anticipate they will hang around long.

I look forward to hearing about the other DVD's in the series.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sheldon For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (11-15-2010), hyperactive (11-19-2010), knit2btied (11-15-2010)
Old 11-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

ON SALE!!!
That's nice, Sheldon!

Here at KH...Knitting Daily DVD's are ON SALE, reduced from $39.95 to $34.95 for this week! Yay!

I swear...EVERYONE needs these DVD'S.

Can't wait until Series 600 is released. Let me know...

Artlady at Rav
Old 11-16-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Well...helllloooo!! Shock here! I learned how to do top-down socks with Eunny Jang in Series 200...Show 212!

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 11-16-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Today, in Series 300, Show#303 'Reversible Knitting', Eunny Jang taught us to cast on in the ribbing pattern of the garment!

What is THIS you ask?

When we use the common continental long-tail cast on, our very bottom edge has a RS and a WS. The WS edge is all purl bumps.

By casting on in the rib sequence, you will have purl bumps lining up with your rib purl bumps, too!

If you'll be working, let's say, a 3x3 ribbing for your cuff, you can cast on to match! No more RS/WS! Each side is a 'good side', and identical, and a perfect match-up to the ribbing sequence just above!

It's incredibly easy, and very nifty!

Artlady at Rav
Old 11-16-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

SERIES 300/SHOW 304:

I learned how to do the 'knitted-on i-cord edge'!
AND, how to work a 'mock i-cord' welt and/or edging!

Eunny Jang demonstrated how these two techniques are employed on the little Manchester Jacket (free pattern) that I showed at the bottom of my first post in this thread!

PHEW! Have to confess: I've never worked an i-cord edging. Avoided it like the plague actually! Confusing...until today!

ALSO learned how to work TUNISIAN CROCHET! Very interesting. It's worked over two RS Rows Only. The work is NEVER TURNED. The first row 'loads' stitches onto the hook and works from right to left, the normal direction. The second row is worked back to your right hand, taking OFF a stitch at a time.

So in review...Row 1 'loads'....Row 2 'removes'!

So cool! The show also demonstrated Tunisian crochet (alpaca rug), using a size U hook. BIG! The yarn was big, too! About as big as a man's thumb! OY!

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 11-17-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:12 AM   #7
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Today I learned how to work the Twisted German cast on, especially good for top-down socks because it's extra stretchy AND durable.

Also learned the Channel Island cast on, especially wonderful if you intend to work 1x1 rib. It has a naturally picot edge.

Both are so darn easy!

I have worked some samples which I'll post tomorrow. Our knitting community needs to see the value of these two cast on styles, plus that reversible cast on I talked about yesterday.

All of this was in KDTV DVD Series 300.

Another thing I loved learning about is the Portugese Knitting. It uses very little hand movement. Mostly just holding your work and flicking your thumb to throw the stitch! I can hardly paint a word picture. You'll just have to watch it in Series 300, in the GO GLOBAL show, which is where I also learned the Twisted German and Channel Island cast on's. (Eunny Jang as teacher and demonstrator. She must a Master Knitter Certificate, but additionally, she's such a good teacher, repeating movements so patiently, with well-chosen words. I totally admire her ability to communicate new techniques!)

So, tomorrow...stay tuned for some samples!

Pick up a KDTV DVD while Sheldon is offering them at Sale Price!

If you can only get one set to start out...get Series 300 first.
I haven't watched Series 400 & 500 yet...but Series 300 is my recommendation between the first 3 if you can only get 1 set today.

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 11-18-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

3 Fantastic Cast-Ons!
I posted my swatches in separate thread just moments ago. Click here.

And click here to purchase Series 300 from Knitting Help.

Artlady at Rav