Old 11-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
mommyto2presidents
1st Leg of the Journey

Need help with using Toe-Up 2-at-at-Time Socks book
Hi ladies! I've tried following this book 3 times now and something just doesn't seem right. It tells you to use Judy's magic cast on, which I can do no problem. But here's where I get stuck:

1. When you rotate the needles so that the tips are on the right, as you continue knitting, the working yarn is not at the top but at the bottom of the knitting. Is this supposed to be that way?

2. once you get the toes done, it says to knit the feet by working in the round on both socks. How do you work in the round when you have 2 separate sets of stitches on the one needle?

It just seems to me that you knit (or whatever the pattern is telling you to do) to the end, then rotate the needles, slip the stitches off the bottom needle and continue knitting again. But how does this knit the socks? Isn't this just like knitting with straight needles?

I think I'm thinking about this too much and it's giving me a mental block.

Can anyone lend some assistance?

TIA!
mommyto2presidents is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

you are doing 2 socks at a time. What way are you doing it?

- One next to the other on 2 circular needles or

- one inside the other (on 2 circs/ with magic loop / on dpn?)

Knowing that will help to find the answer.

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

Hyperactive: I believe she is referring to the Toe-Up Two at a Time Socks book by Melissa Morgan-Oakes, which uses the technique of knitting two socks at a time on one long circular needle using Magic Loop.

I don't have this book yet, but am definitely intrigued by it. I'll be giving it a try once I have a little more sock knitting experience.

Anyways, I couldn't find a video when I did a quick search (although I'm sure there must be one out there), but you could try checking out Silver's Sock Tutorial on knitting two socks using this method. There are very clear instructions and pictures. Maybe that will help clarify things for you? Click here to check it out.
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote