Old 11-20-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Knitting related fiction
So, I'm taking a writing course and as one of my passions is yarn in any form, my instructor has suggested I write a fictional story about a knitter. Not a mystery, too many of those. I've wracked my brain, but all I've come up with is Merlin sitting in a cave explaining to an owl why he knits. (Need to lay off the Mexican food and drink before writing.)

Any suggestions?

TIA!

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
cftwo
Working the Gusset

When I look back on pieces I've done one of the things I remember is what happened while I was knitting/stitching that piece. There's the piece I was working on when I was dumped by a guy I hadn't realized I was in a relationship with. There's the piece I was working on when my cat was dying. There's the piece I made from yarn I found while visiting a good friend (where we dragged her DH to yet another yarn store ). My point is that you could tell the story of a knitted piece, and may be able to weave some flash-backs into the story. So maybe Merlin has a finished sweater or cape or whatever: what story does that sweater have?
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cftwo For This Useful Post:
Debkcs (11-22-2010)
Old 11-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
wellslipmystitches
Knitting the Flap

Tia, You've chosen a character from the 12th century, with connections to magic. Go with that and think of not just how to knit but all the things that are involved.

Certainly Merlin, a wizard, could conjure up any pattern, so how would he do that? .. what would he use for needles? ... but he must still acquire the type (maybe magic) yarn from magic animals that have never been found on earth before. A wizard can do that easily. He just has to know the territory and the right incantation.

Why does he have to knit and for what reason? King Arthur's knights are suffering a very cold winter and are in desperate need of warm undies or non-itchy jock straps or a magic yarn to repel spears cause their armor is at the shop getting a much needed WD40 treatment??? It can be silly or sane. It's up to you. Have fun with it. Invent everything if you're going to stick with the magic theme. Your subject has unparalleled possibilities.

Knitting is magic anyway and if you research some of the history you might be able to tie it in with your story. I've never written anything without some necessary research and I always begin my ideas with, why was it done, or why did it happen the first time? Enjoy your assignment and good luck!
Jean
wellslipmystitches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wellslipmystitches For This Useful Post:
Debkcs (11-22-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

WOW, Jean you seem to really have the head for this sort of thing. Perhaps you should write a book as you discribe. I'll read it if you do.
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lighting57 For This Useful Post:
Debkcs (11-22-2010), wellslipmystitches (11-23-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
wellslipmystitches
Knitting the Flap

Surely, you've heard, everyone has a book to write. You need to focus on writing not reading as per your teacher's request.

I'm glad if my words have been a little bit helpful. Be sure to send me your final draft.
Jean
wellslipmystitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
This class has been a lot of fun, but a lot of work. There are many story ideas here, and I appreciate all of them.

Hmm, a mystic jock strap has many possibilities.

Thanks everyone~~~~~

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote