Old 11-28-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
joabair
Casting On

new knitter need help!
I have learned the long tail cast on from this site, and I have watched the other videos. I am trying to learn to knit, I can do the long tail cast on well now but what next? I watch the videos on purl and knit, but neither one shows what do I do first when my first row is cast on 1 needle. I thought this first one was a knit stitch so I tried to purl, and something happened that looked okay and all ended up on the other needle. However, now what for 1 and for 2, in her videos, she doesnt seem to have the tail leftover and her working yarn never seems to be in the same place as mine is! Opposite sides somehow... If any advice can be given here please help, this may be something I need to see in person. Thanks...
joabair is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-28-2010, 12:19 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I think on the videos she knits the tail in with the first few stitches, but you don't have to. I just let mine hang and thread it through the sts later on. So don't worry about where your yarn is, it sounds like you did it right. If there's a different cast on, the tail will be in a different place. But you don't need to pay attention to it anyway, just get the sts moved from one needle to the other.

If you go to the Tips pages there's a video called Demo of a Small Project that shows CO, working a few rows then binding off. That would probably help you see what to do after casting on.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
joabair
Casting On

Oh thank you so much... my 9 yr old son is learning this with me and we are both kinda confused!
joabair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:36 AM   #4
AmandaKnitsStuff
Casting On

Originally Posted by joabair View Post
I have learned the long tail cast on from this site, and I have watched the other videos. I am trying to learn to knit, I can do the long tail cast on well now but what next? I watch the videos on purl and knit, but neither one shows what do I do first when my first row is cast on 1 needle. I thought this first one was a knit stitch so I tried to purl, and something happened that looked okay and all ended up on the other needle. However, now what for 1 and for 2, in her videos, she doesnt seem to have the tail leftover and her working yarn never seems to be in the same place as mine is! Opposite sides somehow... If any advice can be given here please help, this may be something I need to see in person. Thanks...

When you do a knit st and purl st in the same row, you have to flip around your needle so the working yarn is in the right place. For the knit st it should be in the front, for purl st, it should be in the back. Hope I helped
AmandaKnitsStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:34 AM   #5
knittywitty53
Casting On

working yarn
Originally Posted by joabair View Post
Your working yarn should always be in the right hand.
knittywitty53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Quote:
Your working yarn should always be in the right hand.
Only if you knit english. If you knit continental or combined, the working yarn would be in the left hand.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
kittykins
1st Leg of the Journey

Amanda,
I am a bit confused with your post. When you make a regular knit stitch the yarn is in the back, and when making a purl stitch the yarn is in the front. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you wrote.
joabair,
Keep watching the videos and keep asking questions. Knitting can be confusing when you first start out, but before you know it, those needles will be flying and you'll be creating all sorts of wonderful things. Jeanie
kittykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:16 AM   #8
cdr
Casting On

Technique to seam to sides of project knitted
Sorry to use this post to ask my knitting question, I don't know how to post on a separate thread !
I am also a beginner knitting, and I am also done with my project a collar that can become a hood. How do you seam the two edges on a clean way? is there a special techique I should know, a web where I could go for reference?
THANK YOU FOR ALL RESPONSES !
CDR
Old 12-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Hi, you can start a new thread by clicking on the orange button that says 'Start New Thread' at the top of the forum.

There are different ways of joining the top of the hood. You can use mattress stitch, which is shown under Finishing on the Tips page, or you can not bind off the sts and use the 3 needle BO which is also shown there as well.